Poo in the streams, seas and rivers of our great country

Labours first act in power should be to legislate huge fines every time they pollute

Fir them so large that it puts the water companies into liquidation allow full public ownership.

But they won’t.
The way the system works it will always need to discharge into a watercourse on occasion when old sewers that carry both rainwater and shit are overwhelmed during heavy rain, which it's hard to argue isn't happening more often.

Needs a solution regardless but I don't think its that the water comanies are cutting corners to increase profits, more the level of investment required to fix a drainage network that goes back to the victorian era would make their business unviable.

Only solution I can see is nationalisation and huge government investment in developing a fit for purpose system. Cost of HS2 would have covered it like.

The way the system works it will always need to discharge into a watercourse on occasion when old sewers that carry both rainwater and shit are overwhelmed during heavy rain, which it's hard to argue isn't happening more often.

Needs a solution regardless but I don't think its that the water comanies are cutting corners to increase profits, more the level of investment required to fix a drainage network that goes back to the victorian era would make their business unviable.

Only solution I can see is nationalisation and huge government investment in developing a fit for purpose system. Cost of HS2 would have covered it like.
There is no reason for Northumbrian water to be hoying shit in the seas and rivers.

The infrastructure isn’t at creaking point here. Housing developments etc that spring up everywhere down south can be used as an excuse to justify southerners water companies doing it up we don’t have a big population in the NE where sewer capacities would be overloaded.

Lack of investment in treatment works around the country is shockingly low mind.

Sounds disgusting.

But before people get too nostalgic of times gone by ; back in 1980 when I was working tfor the Northern Echo in their newcastle office, i wrote a yarn about someone catching a fish in the Tyne near Newcastle. It was a weird looking critter you would never eat (unless you were a mag of course) but the fact something could live in that septic sewer of a river back then was cause for a story in of itself.

(The place was a tip then..Seaham harbour famous for spotting the floating turds in the '70s..and growing up in a colliery village in the 1960s, before coal fires were banned, was living under a constant cloud of deadly dust. Britain is a lovely place but much of the population treat it as a tip. The amount of garbage just thrown into the gutters was and likely still is a disgrace. It is as much to do with sheer laziness as poor government policy. You don';t need big brother to tell you to walk forty yards to put your chip papers in a litter bin FFS. )

Sounds disgusting.

But before people get too nostalgic of times gone by ; back in 1980 when I was working tfor the Northern Echo in their newcastle office, i wrote a yarn about someone catching a fish in the Tyne near Newcastle. It was a weird looking critter you would never eat (unless you were a mag of course) but the fact something could live in that septic sewer of a river back then was cause for a story in of itself.

(The place was a tip then..Seaham harbour famous for spotting the floating turds in the '70s..and growing up in a colliery village in the 1960s, before coal fires were banned, was living under a constant cloud of deadly dust. Britain is a lovely place but much of the population treat it as a tip. The amount of garbage just thrown into the gutters was and likely still is a disgrace. It is as much to do with sheer laziness as poor government policy. You don';t need big brother to tell you to walk forty yards to put your chip papers in a litter bin FFS. )
Used to go fishing down the staithes in Sunderland docks when I was young'un in the early 70's with my dad. Some of the flattys we'd catch I wouldn't give to a stray cat nevermind taking them home.

Sounds disgusting.

Now there's a point actually. Floating turds might have been a thing in retrospect

Either that or my memory is mixed up with the local baths

Oh believe me, they’re cutting corners. The amount of failed projects, wasted millions, budget materials used, etc would shock you (or maybe not)

An absolute outrage that in the UK in 2023 this is happening and being allowed to happen.
Thatcher carved up the public services for her mates it wasn’t much different from the Russians carving up the old Soviet Union for the Oligarchs and this is where we end up.

I give you HS2.
Way exceeded original budget.
Everything exceeds budgets, no idea how govts accept quotes knowing fine well the costs are gonna rocket…make no mistake when whoever brings in the massive transition to green energy and all the wind farms and solar and water power, costs will be nowhere near what’s originally stated
we are just shiit at big infrastructure and actually bring shit in on budget
I can't recall swimming about in shitty waters or getting I'll from it. Oh well :lol:
Just watch the final scene of get carter to see the absolute shiit that we’ve poured into the seas in the past, we just never took that much notice of it back then

Last edited:
I used to love swimming in the sea as a kid, we must have taken care of the water back then as I don't recall any illness or nasties (just the saltiness if you accidentally got a gob full).
No was definitely worse. The Tyne was just a sewer really and there were outfalls into the sea at Trow Rocks.
It's better than it was in the 70s but the water companies have got no excuses now for what they are doing.

No was definitely worse. The Tyne was just a sewer really and there were outfalls into the sea at Trow Rocks.
It's better than it was in the 70s but the water companies have got no excuses now for what they are doing.
^^ this.
just need strong legislation and it’s not like we can’t change laws to take these things back in house for free if companies don’t live up to their requirements for free…you’d soon see shareholders, pension funds etc say to companies don’t fuck it up or we lose our whole investment

Last edited:

Back