Poo in the streams, seas and rivers of our great country

The way the system works it will always need to discharge into a watercourse on occasion when old sewers that carry both rainwater and shit are overwhelmed during heavy rain, which it's hard to argue isn't happening more often.

Needs a solution regardless but I don't think its that the water comanies are cutting corners to increase profits, more the level of investment required to fix a drainage network that goes back to the victorian era would make their business unviable.

Only solution I can see is nationalisation and huge government investment in developing a fit for purpose system. Cost of HS2 would have covered it like.
How do they keep paying dividends to share holders but cant afford to support the infrastucture of their business?

I would fine the fuckers everytime it happens, 25% of the total dividends the first time, 75% second time 150% the next time

Heidi Mottram - CEO - got a 21% remuneration increase this year. To £1.24 million.Workers are shafted like the customers and lost their defined benefit pension last year.

Public ownership could happen - would require Labour to prevent dividends being paid until debt paid off (Northumbrian Water had zero debt at privatisation and now has over £2 Billion- which is pretty much the amount paid to the Chineses owner)

Then take over so we aren’t nationalising the debt.

How do they keep paying dividends to share holders but cant afford to support the infrastucture of their business?

I would fine the fuckers everytime it happens, 25% of the total dividends the first time, 75% second time 150% the next time
I don't know the full details but I think that would require interceptor drains along the banks of all rivers and huge underground storage tanks from where it can be pumped back to the treatment works. That would require immense amounts of concrete and disruption of other habitats etc so would have an environmental impact of its own. Not to mention the disruption it would cause.

I don't think its a case that they could not take dividends for a period of time, it would require additional investment from shareholders (who are purely motivated by returns), they would likely prefer to lose their initial investment and see the company go under before spending good money after bad in the hope that the water companies return to profitability at some far off point in the future.

I think some discharge can be allowed if properly and robustly regulated but I don't think it is practically possible to get to a zero overspill scenario.

Like I've said, I hope it's just a matter of time before this industry is brought back into public hands where cost of investment can be better balanced against environmental priorities.

I don't know the full details but I think that would require interceptor drains along the banks of all rivers and huge underground storage tanks from where it can be pumped back to the treatment works. That would require immense amounts of concrete and disruption of other habitats etc so would have an environmental impact of its own. Not to mention the disruption it would cause.

I don't think its a case that they could not take dividends for a period of time, it would require additional investment from shareholders (who are purely motivated by returns), they would likely prefer to lose their initial investment and see the company go under before spending good money after bad in the hope that the water companies return to profitability at some far off point in the future.

I think some discharge can be allowed if properly and robustly regulated but I don't think it is practically possible to get to a zero overspill scenario.

Like I've said, I hope it's just a matter of time before this industry is brought back into public hands where cost of investment can be better balanced against environmental priorities.
My issue is they are underperforming yet still handing out dividends, how the hell does that work?

My issue is they are underperforming yet still handing out dividends, how the hell does that work?
Totally broken system, the bonuses and dividends are clearly based on targets that are too easy for them to hit. It's a failure of regulation, for private companies the prime motivation will always be financial so it is up to the regulators to set strict targets.

Because they can and theres fuck all we can do about it. If they weren't a monopoly in a normal business world they would have not customers and go bust. This is why privatisation of public monopolies is madness
Annoys the fuck out of me, and you know these Tory bastards will try and hoy some money at it before they get booted out

Sun City Triathlon is this Sunday and we've had the water tested...

Hi Simon

I have just checked your sample results again and it is all a pass.
I’m currently out so will do your certificate first thing if that’s ok.

Kind regards
Sam

The bad water samples were caused by rainfall during the week.

Sun City Triathlon is this Sunday and we've had the water tested...

Hi Simon

I have just checked your sample results again and it is all a pass.
I’m currently out so will do your certificate first thing if that’s ok.

Kind regards
Sam

The bad water samples were caused by rainfall during the week.

thats what quite a few people have been saying on various facebook groups. the ones who claim it's full of raw sewage really piss me off

Starmer will solve all this, a Carpenters son with a wooden wand. Tremendous stuff.

Let’s hope so, because sure as sure is Sunak, Truss, Johnson and the rest of the Tories have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it for 14 years.

Silly sniping at the likes of Starmer, when the party in power have been useless about this and pretty much everything else for 14 years.

As ever with you, a late night drunken rambling….

Last edited:

Back