"Psychic" Sally and other liars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dont know about people having problems because of a psychics taking the piss but people i know who have seen one seem to take great comfort from a "reading"

Dont get me wrong because i don't believe a single word these people say. I'm just pointing out that if it makes people more comfortable in grief then thats a good thing??

Obviously it's a load of shite. Firstly I would say that charging someone money for something while knowing it to be bullshit is wrong to begin with, it becomes despicable when the victims of the fraud are vulnerable people. Secondly grief is a difficult process to deal with, and these people, the professional "psychics", couldn't give a flying fuck about the well-being or otherwise of their victims, all they want is their cash. It is indeed disappointing that so many people are gullible and credulous enough to be taken in by their lies, that they are taken in by it doesn't make the scammers any less shameful.

The very fact that so many people are still sadly prepared to believe it is due in no small part to the "oh, where's the harm?" attitude, which the leafleter in the OP is trying to counter. I'd be willing to bet that for every anecdotal tale of someone who felt a bit better after handing their cash to a lying con artist there are people who had their heads messed with and left seriously damaged emotionally, because these charlatans aren't trained in any sort of grief counselling or whatever, they're just sly devious people using exactly the same bullshit techniques as have been around for years and years. Certainly there are documented examples of people being fleeced of their life savings by "psychics" professing to know the whereabouts of missing children, or promising to send messages to the other side or some other nonsense - more extreme examples maybe, but all arising from the same basic motivations and lies.

Doris Stokes was a famous one years ago, this is the type of thing she got up to.

Those "contacted" included a young woman called Dawn. She was given a message supposedly from her husband, who had died less than a month earlier, telling her that he supported her decision to turn off his life support machine. However, when hospital nurses had asked her whether she would like to speak to anybody about this decision, she had asked to speak to Doris Stokes. Stokes had spoken to Dawn by telephone, offering commiseration and asking to be updated with the results of the tests that would determine whether Dawn's husband lived or died.

No real harm like, it's just a show.

Obviously it's a load of shite. Firstly I would say that charging someone money for something while knowing it to be bullshit is wrong to begin with, it becomes despicable when the victims of the fraud are vulnerable people. Secondly grief is a difficult process to deal with, and these people, the professional "psychics", couldn't give a flying fuck about the well-being or otherwise of their victims, all they want is their cash. It is indeed disappointing that so many people are gullible and credulous enough to be taken in by their lies, that they are taken in by it doesn't make the scammers any less shameful.

The very fact that so many people are still sadly prepared to believe it is due in no small part to the "oh, where's the harm?" attitude, which the leafleter in the OP is trying to counter. I'd be willing to bet that for every anecdotal tale of someone who felt a bit better after handing their cash to a lying con artist there are people who had their heads messed with and left seriously damaged emotionally, because these charlatans aren't trained in any sort of grief counselling or whatever, they're just sly devious people using exactly the same bullshit techniques as have been around for years and years. Certainly there are documented examples of people being fleeced of their life savings by "psychics" professing to know the whereabouts of missing children, or promising to send messages to the other side or some other nonsense - more extreme examples maybe, but all arising from the same basic motivations and lies.
So you aint keen then? ;)

Aye, I remember the last time I went to church where the preist was charging £35 a head and arrived in a bentley. :rolleyes:
Then I recommend the Super Churches in Singapore, where they do do shit like that. One is on trial now for funding his wife's pop career from the church funds. They get 15,000 and up in their congregations and everyone is charged a tithe. It happens.

ALL con artists should be prohibited from advertising or performing!
Now, at last you can actually DO something positive!
Check out the government epetitions under psychics!
See the post on Youtube.

The "little comfort" it brings to some people is more than cancelled out many times over by the long-standing psychological damage it can do after the initial brief illusion of happiness it might give. There are countless examples of people who have reported huge problems caused by "psychics" and similar con artists f***ing about with their grief-ridden emotions. This is, of course, on top of the blatant shittiness of fraudulently milking cash from the recently bereaved. Utter f***ing cunts, the lot of them.
Bloody well said!!!

It's tragic that Sally and others of her ilk can make fortunes off a person's desperate grief.

But it's a free country, and if someone somewhere gains a bit of comfort from Sally relaying a message from their dead spouse/parent/child saying they're at peace in the afterlife who are we to judge them so harshly. It is a silly thing to do, of course, but some people (apparently) need that affirmation to move on in their lives.

Quite the contrary, it stops them accepting their loss and moving on with their lives. I know an otherwise perfectly rational woman who followed a con artist for months in the constant hope of getting "another" chance to speak to her dead Mother. It followed a very tenuous reference to her first initial and arthritis at her first show. It was pathetic but she was in a mess about it for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back