Punk Thread for CPL

Like I said my memory hazy so 84 or 85 could be right. Can you remember if they played Sunderland Poly a year or two later then cos sure I saw them both times (or one and a half times due to drunken pal) at the Poly
Knee idea mate I was at the poly 3 years and if they were on twice I’m sure I’d have gone twice so maybe the first time you went with ya pissed mate was before the time I went like.
Still remember it, funny as ya get old you forget stuff well nearly everything then summit daft or a thread on an internet forum like this brings it all back hahahahaha

Knee idea mate I was at the poly 3 years and if they were on twice I’m sure I’d have gone twice so maybe the first time you went with ya pissed mate was before the time I went like.
Still remember it, funny as ya get old you forget stuff well nearly everything then summit daft or a thread on an internet forum like this brings it all back hahahahaha
Listen the way my head is second time I might have seen them somewhere completely different and I just think it was back to the Poly. Saw the Stray Cats at Sunderland Poly too but couldn't tell you what year. As said earlier always had a soft spot for psychobilly

Were they supporting the Upstarts?

If so was at the same gig.

No mate..I saw a couple of gigs in quick succession there..it was..gonk Fist and Red London..then Upstarts..Red Alert..Red London..both gigs were excellent and gonk Fist were superb..a good crowd in anarl.

Did anyone see The Wall from Sunderland back in the day? I saw them support SLF early 80’s.
Great single
North east punk band Leatherface, haven't listened to a lot myself like apart from the one album (guess which one). What is everyone's favourite track.

Talking about NE punk bands can't fail to mention how much I liked Pauline Murray and Penetration, from Consett weren't they......nope Ferryhill?
Saw Leatherface playing with (I think) Snuff around 1990/91. Is Cherry Knowle the album you mean? Always quite liked the opening track - Colorado Joe/Leningrad Vlad.

Penetration were from Ferryhill. They own a studio in Ouseburn called Polestar. I recorded a demo there with a band I was in years ago. Had good crack on with Rob Blamire at the time. Think he and Pauline were a couple back then, might still be

Last edited:
Great single
No, not even familiar with them. Can you name members see if I recognise any of them
We went on a coach organised by the Durham Book Centre to see them in Carlisle. They wouldn’t let us in the venue.
I wouldn't have either cos you were obviously a bunch of reprobates
Great single

Saw Leatherface playing with (I think) Snuff around 1990/91. Is Cherry Knowle the album you mean? Always quite liked the opening track - Colorado Joe/Leningrad Vlad.

Penetration were from Ferryhill. They own a studio in Ouseburn called Polestar. I recorded a demo there with a band I was in years ago. Had good crack on with Rob Blamire at the time. Think he and Pauline were a couple back then, might still be
No I meant Mush, that seems to be the one everyone sites, but like I say not listened to much to be honest, do you think Cherry Knowle the better album? Remember a friend talking to me about them and me telling them what it was and about the fabled Brown Ale ward.

Also loved that solo album Pauline did with the Invisible Girls was it, one track in particular but can't remember what it is called.......going to hunt it out....I have it on tape somewhere.😃😃

Last edited:
No, not even familiar with them. Can you name members see if I recognise any of them

No I meant Mush, that seems to be the one everyone sites, but like I say not listened to much to be honest, do you think Cherry Knowle the better album? Remember a friend talking to me about them and me telling them what it was and about the fabled Brown Ale ward.

Also loved that solo album Pauline did with the Invisible Girls was it, one track in particular but can't remember what it is called.......going to hunt it out....I have it on tape somewhere.😃😃
Cherry Knowle was the first album from 1989. Quite raw sounding by comparison to Mush. Both good though Mush better all round of the two for me

A mate travelled from Northumberland to Swansea to see The Manics and got so pissed that he could remember nothing about the gig the following day. I do have fairly sketchy memories of a Saturday at Reading Festival back in about 1988 and I've come to the conclusion that someone must've dropped some acid in one of my pints as I've never hallucinated on alcohol on any other occasion.
I saw the fall at clitheroe castle in the mid 80s and one of my mates had spiked our pints with acid. I only found out about 40 years later when I was drinking in a pub in Liverpool with the lad who'd done the spiking. To make matters worse my daughter was out drinking with us when he told me. A definite don't tell your mam moment.

The Wall were championed by John Peel and had 2 albums and a sold a lot of singles. Ian Lowery was the original vocalist.

Just watching RIP it up - unwrapped about the punk and post punk and new wave scene in Scotland, on BBC Scotland, great watch.Talking to one too many Art school types but interesting nevertheless

Back