Punk Thread for CPL

North east punk band Leatherface, haven't listened to a lot myself like apart from the one album (guess which one). What is everyone's favourite track.

Talking about NE punk bands can't fail to mention how much I liked Pauline Murray and Penetration, from Consett weren't they......nope Ferryhill?

Mush. I can't pick one.

Saw the Flatliners on Sunday. Absolutely fine performance and an excellent setlist:

Logon or register to see this image

Stranglers supported by the Ruts were class last year at the City Hall
I saw Penetration support the Stranglers at the City Hall in 1977.
Whenever anyone got up to dance to Penetration - as Pauline kept asking them to do - they were very harshly treated by the bouncers.
When the Stranglers came on, Hugh Cornwells introduction to the first song was 'Fuck the bouncers, let's dance'
They went straight into a very loud 'No More Heroes' - the then current single - and virtually the whole audience got up & stayed up - only my 2nd concert but one of the best.
Work with a lad who is a massive Damned fan, certain he's followed them all over. Was also in his own band Harry and the Vomits :D
I saw the Damned in Leicester in 1979 supported by the Ruts.
Downstairs at the bar, we heard a band start, so went up and it was the Damned - we missed the Ruts, with their original singer, completely.
For the encore, the Captain was naked and played his guitar chest height.
Some people appeared at the side of the stage with buckets and started throwing stuff at the Damned.
Turns out it was the Ruts throwing horse manure.
The Damned threw some of the manure back at the Ruts but they started throwing most of it at the first few rows of the audience, who not only threw it back at the band but also over their heads landing on the audience at the back, who then threw it forwards again.
Fortunately we were in the middle and watched it flying in all directions but managed to avoid a direct hit.
Not sure if it was great concert but it was certainly an event to remember.

Last edited:
What was the difference in attitude between the Buzzcocks and the Damned?

1979, Buzzcocks at Leicester De Montfort, (Joy Division support).
Fight breaks out, Pete Shelley stops the band and refuses to continue until the fighting stops.

1979, Damned at Leicester Poly
Fight breaks out, Dave Vanian jumps into the audience and you can hear 'thud thud thud' as he punches someone while still holding the microphone. The bouncers get involved, Vanian jumps back on stage and the band played on.

I saw Penetration support the Stranglers at the City Hall in 1977.
Whenever anyone got up to dance to Penetration - as Pauline kept asking them to do - they were very harshly treated by the bouncers.
When the Stranglers came on, Hugh Cornwells introduction to the first song was 'Fuck the bouncers, let's dance'
They went straight into a very loud 'No More Heroes' - the then current single - and virtually the whole audience got up & stayed up - only my 2nd concert but one of the best.

I saw the Damned in Leicester in 1979 supported by the Ruts.
Downstairs at the bar, we heard a band start, so went up and it was the Damned - we missed the Ruts, with their original singer, completely.
For the encore, the Captain was naked and played his guitar chest height.
Some people appeared at the side of the stage with buckets and started throwing stuff at the Damned.
Turns out it was the Ruts throwing horse manure.
The Damned threw some of the manure back at the Ruts but they started throwing most of it at the first few rows of the audience, who not only threw it back at the band but also over their heads landing on the audience at the back, who then threw it forwards again.
Fortunately we were in the middle and watched it flying in all directions but managed to avoid a direct hit.
Not sure if it was great concert but it was certainly an event to remember.
I saw the Ruts/Damned gig too. The Ruts came on stage when the Damned were playing. They were dressed as robbers, with masks and carried bags with swag written on them. It was what was in the bags that made you want to vomit. It was pig shit and the audience didn’t know what it was till it hit them. The gig collapsed into absolute chaos. Sensible stripped naked and Vanian lying on top of the speakers. Happy days!
What was the difference in attitude between the Buzzcocks and the Damned?

1979, Buzzcocks at Leicester De Montfort, (Joy Division support).
Fight breaks out, Pete Shelley stops the band and refuses to continue until the fighting stops.

1979, Damned at Leicester Poly
Fight breaks out, Dave Vanian jumps into the audience and you can hear 'thud thud thud' as he punches someone while still holding the microphone. The bouncers get involved, Vanian jumps back on stage and the band played on.
I saw the Buzzcocks twice on that tour with Joy Division supporting at Loughborough Uni and the De Montfort Hall. Shelley threw a stop at Loughborough for some reason threatening not to return for an encore.

See the Leicester Uni, Ruts pig shit throwing at the Damned mentioned earlier about the attitude of the Damned…

Last edited:
No chaos these days just sanitised and safe. Mind I'm too old to be amused by such shenanigans these days.

The most chaotic gig I was ever at was the Meteors it descended into full blown western saloon type fighting with the band in the middle of it. I swear to god there were people swinging from the light fittings....but maybe I am mis remembering that bit. It also seemed during that time Captain Sensible would not last 5 mins on stage before stripping off. Captain Where's your trousers went the familiar cry from the audience

I saw Stiff Little Fingers at the Guildhall in NewcXtle. Angelic Upstarts were support band. Keith Bell was there he was a scary bloke.

Speaking of the Upstarts I saw them at the Old 29, they had their pigs head with them.
Whatever happened to Keith Bell?

Back