Roy Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you put it like that, 80million on 39 players for a team that was fucked, to get it promoted as champions and then to go on and build another side to keep us up the season after seems great business.

For some perspective. .
A vastly experienced O'Neill spent over 30m in 3 transfer windows and left us worse off than when he arrived.

He spent a shit load of money of dross. We lost twenty odd games in the first season in the PL and lost 7 in a row before he jumped. A monkey could've done what he did in bringing us up that season.
Sorry Marra but that's utter bollocks. We were heading southwards towards League One when Keane took over.
He bought players who cared and ran their hearts out to get us out of trouble and motivated them (and the supporters) to a level that not one Manager has done since. What he did that year was absolute class and there aren't many who could have done what he did.

Sorry Marra but that's utter bollocks. We were heading southwards towards League One when Keane took over.
He bought players who cared and ran their hearts out to get us out of trouble and motivated them (and the supporters) to a level that not one Manager has done since. What he did that year was absolute class and there aren't many who could have done what he did.
You are right but like the two after him, he wasn't taking us any further and we were playing badly

You are right but like the two after him, he wasn't taking us any further and we were playing badly
That's true mate but I still think if Short hadn't started interfering Keane could have turned things around.

But for TopCat to disregard what Keane did to get us promoted is absolute cobblers.

Ellis should pick up the phone and get him back. At least we won't hear the sad, "I've given up", meanderings, we've been hearing for weeks now.

He spent a shit load of money of dross. We lost twenty odd games in the first season in the PL and lost 7 in a row before he jumped. A monkey could've done what he did in bringing us up that season.

What a f***ing gormless thing to say....:oops:

Don't forget, that Jones was 3rd choice.

We could've easily spent £6m on Nugent or Mido

I'd say we were lucky there like

But then since we've signed danny graham which is sort of the same thing

Thank you. That was the reply I would have given if I thought the original post was worthy of such.

So is the arguement that a monkey could have got us promoted that season
Ok, maybe so but I think the job was easier than Quinn had made it seem. Any decent manager with the likes of Connolly, Evans, Edwards and at his disposal would have got us up. Whether these players would have joined a Keane-less Sunderland is another argument if course.

He wasn't perfect but he was perfect for us.

So he wasn't at training every day but he was there more than O'Neill. So he wasn't at the beck and call of the chairman.......so fuck. So he was more feared than loved by the players......that's not a bad thing.

Something else that Ellis fucked up

Absolteuly loved Keane

Always thought his main problem is he didn't trust anyone, therefore he would only sign players he knew or had experience of (even Chopra he said he liked him after facing him in the reserves), so we ended up paying inflated prices.

I'd f***ing love him back just for the crack, great guy.

Ok, maybe so but I think the job was easier than Quinn had made it seem. Any decent manager with the likes of Connolly, Evans, Edwards and at his disposal would have got us up. Whether these players would have joined a Keane-less Sunderland is another argument if course.

No chance, I think you forget how much of a laughing stock we were, the club was absolutely shot to bits, we were heading to league 1, you can sign all the players you like, but many teams have struggled badly in the same situation

What he did that season was a minor miracle,

What an absolutely truly awful post, some people have short memories!

Worth pointing out, that when Keane arrived, Sunderland were 6 points behind Birmingham City (Brucey). Bruce signed Gary McSheffrey alone for 5m quid, and a couple of other players. Keane spent 5m on a host of players, and overturned a 6 point headstart and a greater spend, to win the league

Loved Keano, would have him back in a shot. Always think things would have turned out much better for him, if he had got Brian Kidd as his number 2 rather than Tony Loughlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back