Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medulla

Striker
Anyone following this podcast? What are your views?

For those that don't know, it is an episode per week that delves into different aspects of a real murder case in the US, where a lad was found guilty of murdering his girlfriend. Essentially it's kind of breezy investigational journalism where they examine the facts and probe for whether it was a fair verdict.

Absolutely fascinating.

I'm not right up to speed but I'm a good way into it and on the facts presented thus far I'd say that on the balance of probabilities he may be guilty but that there is more than enough reasonable doubt to acquit him.

Not an easy case to cut through mind and there are some huge doubts on either side of the ledger.

I've heard a fair bit about it. Just haven't had the time to listen to it.

That whole area of crowdsourced journalism is interesting. Like that bloke who was able to crowdsource the location of an ISIS training camp by having people compare the ISIS propaganda photos and videos with google earth and streetmaps. Or summit like that anyway.

I've heard a fair bit about it. Just haven't had the time to listen to it.

That whole area of crowdsourced journalism is interesting. Like that bloke who was able to crowdsource the location of an ISIS training camp by having people compare the ISIS propaganda photos and videos with google earth and streetmaps. Or summit like that anyway.
It's not really crowdsourced TBH, but interestingly the presenter played a call on the most recent one I listened to from someone who went to the school that was friends with the victim, and provided some evidence that supported the case of the convicted lad.

It's not really crowdsourced TBH, but interestingly the presenter played a call on the most recent one I listened to from someone who went to the school that was friends with the victim, and provided some evidence that supported the case of the convicted lad.

Ah right. I'd misheard then. I thought people discussed it and fed in stuff in between podcasts. Someone should do that. It would be cool.

Actually, just remembered the McCanns threads on here. No one should do that. It would be crap.

Ah right. I'd misheard then. I thought people discussed it and fed in stuff in between podcasts. Someone should do that. It would be cool.

Actually, just remembered the McCanns threads on here. No one should do that. It would be crap.
:lol:

I thought we solved that?

It's not crowdsourced but there's a massive subreddit about it where they go into massive detail and do their own investigating (was pretty successful catching the Boston Marathon Bomber ;)). Fascinating stuff, can't wait for tomorrow's episode.

It's not crowdsourced but there's a massive subreddit about it where they go into massive detail and do their own investigating (was pretty successful catching the Boston Marathon Bomber ;)). Fascinating stuff, can't wait for tomorrow's episode.
Link?

I've listened to them all whilst at work, it has been very interesting but I do still think he's guilty. Whether or not that was proved beyond reasonable doubt is totally different though, also, it does seem like he was stitched royally by that Guitierrez bint.

I've listened to them all whilst at work, it has been very interesting but I do still think he's guilty. Whether or not that was proved beyond reasonable doubt is totally different though, also, it does seem like he was stitched royally by that Guitierrez bint.
The problem for me is that while there are a few alarm bells - the testimony about his response to the phone call at Jay's friend's house, the Nisha call, Jay's credibility as a witness to an extent - the prosecution timeline of events is essentially false and there is no physical evidence whatsoever linking him to the murder.

And the evidence for a motive is thin as fuck. It's basically a letter from the victim to him implying he was cut up by them breaking up. See all break ups ever.

It's rock hard to comb through though. I suppose you have to remember where the burden of proof lies.

The problem for me is that while there are a few alarm bells - the testimony about his response to the phone call at Jay's friend's house, the Nisha call, Jay's credibility as a witness to an extent - the prosecution timeline of events is essentially false and there is no physical evidence whatsoever linking him to the murder.

And the evidence for a motive is thin as fuck. It's basically a letter from the victim to him implying he was cut up by them breaking up. See all break ups ever.

It's rock hard to comb through though. I suppose you have to remember where the burden of proof lies.
I would like to hear more about the guy who found the body (Mr s?), my memory is a little patchy but wasn't he disregarded as a suspect very early on?

I would like to hear more about the guy who found the body (Mr s?), my memory is a little patchy but wasn't he disregarded as a suspect very early on?
Yeah he was. Strange one that, especially given what subsequently came to light about them not reporting tests on the bottle and rope near the crime scene.

But I feel like he might be a red herring. I mean, there's no obvious reason why Jay would implicate Adnan if either of them weren't guilty, and there doesn't seem to be any link from him to Jay or Adnan, nor does Adnan provide a reason why Jay would implicate him out of malice alone.

Yeah he was. Strange one that, especially given what subsequently came to light about them not reporting tests on the bottle and rope near the crime scene.

But I feel like he might be a red herring. I mean, there's no obvious reason why Jay would implicate Adnan if either of them weren't guilty, and there doesn't seem to be any link from him to Jay or Adnan, nor does Adnan provide a reason why Jay would implicate him out of malice alone.
it does seem like there's more to the jay - adnan relationship than they've let on. Whether adnan was getting at jay's lass or something else, there's something not right.

Anyone following this podcast? What are your views?

For those that don't know, it is an episode per week that delves into different aspects of a real murder case in the US, where a lad was found guilty of murdering his girlfriend. Essentially it's kind of breezy investigational journalism where they examine the facts and probe for whether it was a fair verdict.

Absolutely fascinating.

I'm not right up to speed but I'm a good way into it and on the facts presented thus far I'd say that on the balance of probabilities he may be guilty but that there is more than enough reasonable doubt to acquit him.

Not an easy case to cut through mind and there are some huge doubts on either side of the ledger.

It's fantastic. I am up to episode 10 and it just gets better and better. Credit to whoever it was on here who first recommended it a few weeks ago. They are hoping to do another season if they can raise enough money.

Just listened to the British version, very hard-hitting! It's about a school ET drawing competition 31yrs ago and whether the winner copied his design off a rubber, sounds like it's going to turn into a classic:neutral::confused::lol:

It's fantastic. I am up to episode 10 and it just gets better and better. Credit to whoever it was on here who first recommended it a few weeks ago. They are hoping to do another season if they can raise enough money.
Don't think they'll have any bother with that, they'll get it through sponsorship alone given the listener figures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back