Slugs

safcrob

Winger
What is it about bins that attract them, when I opened the kid to put in some waste there was a party of them on the inside of the blue bin. Anyway I just left them because they don't bother me, in fact I actually made them a little slice of toast each and they're eyes can grow back.

They are amongst earth's most disgusting creatures, I have a real aversion to them. They look like something off a horror film.
Theyre also dangerous to pets as unlike snails, they eat absolutely any organic matter, including shit. They can carry lungworm parasites.
Horrible things.

I’ve got loads in my garden. They eat through any new plants. First year of my veg patch I had neat rows of seedlings coming up, all looking really good. Went away for a weekend and when I got back the entire patch was cleared down to the bare soil, except some silver mucus. Bigger plants they bite through the stems to kill them off.

We get slugs and snails in the garden, and slugs in the kitchen, through the night. We sometimes manage to catch one, and lob it over the back fence into our neighbours garden.

Mrs checked on google and she reckons slugs eat dead matter, while snails eat plants.

Those enormous brown ones make me nauseous, hideous creatures. Had loads in the garden this year, plants took a right battering early summer time.

We keep getting this. Having our kitchen completely taken out so whatever gaps they are getting through can be sealed. Really does my head in
We reckon they are coming on our cats fur. Small ones, difficult to see. Then hiding during the day and running riot at night while we are asleep. Slug trails round the cats food bowls in the morning.

Those enormous brown ones make me nauseous, hideous creatures. Had loads in the garden this year, plants took a right battering early summer time.
I had heard about putting salt on them.

I picked up a load from round the garden, put them in a bucket and threw salt on them. I didn't realise it worked like acid on them. One of the big brown ones made a bolt for freedom, got to the rim of the bucket and then the salt on it's back must have ate through it, it oozed apart with one side hanging in the bucket and one on the patio.

It remains the most horrible thing I've ever done purposefully to an animal and not something I'd repeat. It seemed particularly cruel. The poison I put down might have a similar effect, but at least I don't see the results!

I picked up a load from round the garden, put them in a bucket and threw salt on them. I didn't realise it worked like acid on them. One of the big brown ones made a bolt for freedom, got to the rim of the bucket and then the salt on it's back must have ate through it, it oozed apart with one side hanging in the bucket and one on the patio.

It remains the most horrible thing I've ever done purposefully to an animal and not something I'd repeat. It seemed particularly cruel. The poison I put down might have a similar effect, but at least I don't see the results!
Sounds like a horror film. If I find any I just chuck them in the brown bin as it seems like the most humane thing to do - they can live out their days eating garden waste to their hearts’ content.

What is it about bins that attract them, when I opened the kid to put in some waste there was a party of them on the inside of the blue bin. Anyway I just left them because they don't bother me, in fact I actually made them a little slice of toast each and they're eyes can grow back.

They love the yeast in beer slops

Sounds like a horror film. If I find any I just chuck them in the brown bin as it seems like the most humane thing to do - they can live out their days eating garden waste to their hearts’ content.
Any slugs or snails I find in the greenhouse, I chuck in the corner of the garden where we have a couple of compost bins and a nettle patch. I'm happy for them to be there, and the are good for the composting process. Any around the veg patch when I'm weeding, I do the same as you, throw them away with the weeds.

One tip is the organic slug killer. Growing Success is good, but a lot of other people do a version which works just as well these days. Sprinkle little blue things around everywhere and the slugs eat them. Don't know what happens to them after that, but it means I can actually grow things now.

They're getting into my porch somewhere. I keep finding them on the windowsill and I'd left the parcel shelf from the car stood up against the shoe cupboard and it was covered in slimey trails 🤢

It's on my jobs list to find out where they're getting in and seal it up.

I don't think they're 'aware', they're just biological machines that eat decaying and faecal matter.

Back