Smart Heating Controls

Mike J

Winger
Question for you clever folks. Im looking at smart heating controls, i work irregular hours, my 2 kids live with me 50% of the time, their schedule works over 14 days, so one week I have them 5 days one week 2 days, quite often when they are not here I work away.

Id like to get a system set up so im not heating their bedrooms when they are not here, also app controlled, so im not heating the house when nobody is here.

Ive looked at the tado system, but as a luddite, thought i would ask for advice from the collective mind of the SMB.

Thanks in advance for any sensible advice.

I think you can get valves that can be controlled remotely; so you’re effectively turning on/off individual radiators.

I had nest with underfloor and found it to be less than economical. Got Tado now and it’s a breeze. Only thing with Tado is you can occasionally get a thermostat that seems to eat the batteries more.

Just reading the other thread and googling, what are peoples thoughts on this?

Question for you clever folks. Im looking at smart heating controls, i work irregular hours, my 2 kids live with me 50% of the time, their schedule works over 14 days, so one week I have them 5 days one week 2 days, quite often when they are not here I work away.

Id like to get a system set up so im not heating their bedrooms when they are not here, also app controlled, so im not heating the house when nobody is here.

Ive looked at the tado system, but as a luddite, thought i would ask for advice from the collective mind of the SMB.

Thanks in advance for any sensible advice.

Standard hive mike i could sort for next 2 out. Zoning a bit out of my capabilities.

Just readying up on it, the Hive doesn't seem to be as flexible and seems to cost a bit more, but im happy to be corrected.

What do you mean by not flexible? You can control it via phone from anywhere, setup heating schedules for different days and boost the heating whenever required

What do you mean by not flexible? You can control it via phone from anywhere, setup heating schedules for different days and boost the heating whenever required

On the drayton wiser you can link it to Life 360 so it knows when the last person has left the house or the first person back, which is ideal for my 13 year old coming back in from school.

I may well he mis reading as originally posted im a luddite, so looking for a cost effective solution that can heat only part of the house or non of the house.

On the drayton wiser you can link it to Life 360 so it knows when the last person has left the house or the first person back, which is ideal for my 13 year old coming back in from school.

I may well he mis reading as originally posted im a luddite, so looking for a cost effective solution that can heat only part of the house or non of the house.

Ahh right. With Hive if you know those time parameters, you can set it to kick in or turn off via the heating schedule. Pretty sure it can’t automatically pick it up

Just readying up on it, the Hive doesn't seem to be as flexible and seems to cost a bit more, but im happy to be corrected.
Horses for courses mate.

I just wanted something thatd fire up the boiler via my phone on way back from work/hols or even just from my wanking charriot.

Iirc hive was about £130 purchase n same for fitting but done it myself in half an hour.

Have can do this with the geofencing aspect or the motion sensors.

Ahh right. With Hive if you know those time parameters, you can set it to kick in or turn off via the heating schedule. Pretty sure it can’t automatically pick it up

Ive no idea on the time, he leaves school, hangs out with his mates and gets home sometime between 4pm - 6pm. My hours are also all over the shop so on days the kids are not with me.

It seems a super handy feature for me and the price point seems to he lower than Hive, although I could be missing a piece of kit I need somewhere.
Have can do this with the geofencing aspect or the motion sensors.

Its with IFTTT (if this then that) so you can set a command such as when last person leaves got to 7 degrees or whatever you choose.
Horses for courses mate.

I just wanted something thatd fire up the boiler via my phone on way back from work/hols or even just from my wanking charriot.

Iirc hive was about £130 purchase n same for fitting but done it myself in half an hour.

You can come and fit this and ill pay in beer!

Last edited:

Back