Smart Heating Controls

Does that not say life 360 incompatible? Seems a similar service though.

Bit complex for me 😂 you could turn down GF radiators n each just fire up on way back (i know kids cant follow simple requests like n will just sit in their coat 3 hours 😂)
Ive no idea on the time, he leaves school, hangs out with his mates and gets home sometime between 4pm - 6pm. My hours are also all over the shop so on days the kids are not with me.

It seems a super handy feature for me and the price point seems to he lower than Hive, although I could be missing a piece of kit I need somewhere.

Its with IFTTT (if this then that) so you can set a command such as when last person leaves got to 7 degrees or whatever you choose.

You can come and fit this and ill pay in beer!
Couldnt believe how simple it was mate. Thats if a standard ones for you?

Does that not say life 360 incompatible? Seems a similar service though.

Bit complex for me 😂 you could turn down GF radiators n each just fire up on way back (i know kids cant follow simple requests like n will just sit in their coat 3 hours 😂)

Couldnt believe how simple it was mate. Thats if a standard ones for you?

Good spot on the life 360 - bugger! My kids will just put the heating on, leave all the doors and windows open! 😂

Ive no idea on the time, he leaves school, hangs out with his mates and gets home sometime between 4pm - 6pm. My hours are also all over the shop so on days the kids are not with me.

It seems a super handy feature for me and the price point seems to he lower than Hive, although I could be missing a piece of kit I need somewhere.
Isn’t it a bit late if it kicks the heating on when you walk in the door if the house is freezing? That’s the thing that’s always put me off the motion sensors.

Isn’t it a bit late if it kicks the heating on when you walk in the door if the house is freezing? That’s the thing that’s always put me off the motion sensors.
Guess its good for when folk leave but poor for arrival as you say.

Hive was a fecking godsend after coming into a cold house after playing footy in the rain 😂

Guess its good for when folk leave but poor for arrival as you say.

Hive was a fecking godsend after coming into a cold house after playing footy in the rain 😂
I’m not even convinced about leaving, surely you know the heating off at least half an hour before you go out to use up the residual heat?

I like our Hive setup like, as you say it’s great for warming the house up when you’re heading home.

Unfortunately my heating system only has 1 zone so upstairs and downstairs have to be set to same temperature.

What temp do people have there homes set to day and night?

Got Hive installed this time last year and it worked well during the winter. Probably paid for itself by avoiding going out and forgetting to turn the heating off.

I still have dumb radiator values though. Next steps is to upgrade them to smart ones.

Unfortunately my heating system only has 1 zone so upstairs and downstairs have to be set to same temperature.

What temp do people have there homes set to day and night?
10pm-06am 16C.

Day default is 17C as only 1 adult at home. 4pm until 10pm it’s set to 18 but we adjust manually as we’re at home.
Question for you clever folks. Im looking at smart heating controls, i work irregular hours, my 2 kids live with me 50% of the time, their schedule works over 14 days, so one week I have them 5 days one week 2 days, quite often when they are not here I work away.

Id like to get a system set up so im not heating their bedrooms when they are not here, also app controlled, so im not heating the house when nobody is here.

Ive looked at the tado system, but as a luddite, thought i would ask for advice from the collective mind of the SMB.

Thanks in advance for any sensible advice.
We have a non-smart Worcester comfort 2 thermostat. We just program it to have a minimum temperature E.g. 16C and then you can adjust it when someone’s at home.

I can understand why people adjust the temperature remotely for when they arrive home but does it really take an uncomfortably long time to warm the house?

I’d keep things as simple as possible, but I grew up without central heating until the 1980s so don’t get too cold and I’m grateful for having some level of home comfort.

Last edited:
10pm-06am 16C.

Day default is 17C as only 1 adult at home. 4pm until 10pm it’s set to 18 but we adjust manually as we’re at home.
We’re similar, 15c overnight, 20c for an hour or so first thing in the morning and then 18c during the day, boosted as and when.

Got Hive installed this time last year and it worked well during the winter. Probably paid for itself by avoiding going out and forgetting to turn the heating off.

I still have dumb radiator values though. Next steps is to upgrade them to smart ones.
Im in hvac mate n think saving would be minimal anyway.

Lol Whats boiler model mate?

Its a Potterton Titanium 33

The biggest attraction is being able to only heat certain rooms rather than the whole house. The rest is a nice to have, rather than essential.

Last edited:
Drayton Wiser for me too, fitted it about a year ago and been pretty happy with it, though it has not been on for months.

The new heating controller fit on the backplate of the old controller so changing it was a few minutes. Then I had to screw the TRVs off the old radiators and put new ones on. I did one room first until I was sure it was working and then added the rest. I left the bathroom on a standard TRV so that towels would dry whenever any radiator called for heat and didn’t bother with the kitchen as that radiator is always set to 1 and rarely comes on.

I was able to set a profile for each room. Warm the house for us getting up, then only heat the study for working from home. Now my daughter is at college and not in every day, I can adjust for her room. Living room gets a boost for lunch time, then the rest of the house heated in the evening. No room gets colder than 15 during the day or 12 at night as it takes a long time to reheat. We can manually boost any radiator or put on an override if we are going to be out for a few hours,

One of the main things I found was that under the old thermostat, the house felt far too hot on a morning when we were all busy and doing stuff, but if we dropped the temperature then it was too cold on an evening when we settle down for the evening. Now we just have a lower setting on a morning and save a lot in heating bills.

Straightforward enough for me Mike but im affraid if you wanted zoning too id be no good. Probably easy enough tech wise but dont fancy flooding your gaff.

Straightforward enough for me Mike but im affraid if you wanted zoning too id be no good. Probably easy enough tech wise but dont fancy flooding your gaff.

No worries, im going to give it a go, ive always fancied a swimming pool.

Back