Something's not reet.

Playing style.
Tad to broad brush for me mate ,can you elaborate? Isnt it the the job of scouts and coaches for every game to analyse the way opposition team sets up and plays,the qualities of individual players and how to counter them?so i ask again how have we been found out ?and how is that different from other teams?

Tad to broad brush for me mate ,can you elaborate? Isnt it the the job of scouts and coaches for every game to analyse the way opposition team sets up and plays,the qualities of individual players and how to counter them?so i ask again how have we been found out ?and how is that different from other teams?
It sure is. As said earlier, all our strength was in a pressing style of play and quick breaks. We had3 superb playes in Clarke, Amad and Roberts out wide, with full backs pushing on and literally nowt down the middle. It doesn’t take said coaches for ever to work this out and stifle it (tbh. It took a lot longer than I thought it would)

If they have anything about them, either in football or business terms, they must be considering the data. Hopefully from many (all) available sources. That would show them how many teams win without important positions filled and how many goals are scored across the squad(s). And how repeatable success is. If they’ve seen it they’re ignoring it. Apart from using it to avoid (necessary?) expenditure. Which goes against what they think and say they are.

It sure is. As said earlier, all our strength was in a pressing style of play and quick breaks. We had3 superb playes in Clarke, Amad and Roberts out wide, with full backs pushing on and literally nowt down the middle. It doesn’t take said coaches for ever to work this out and stifle it (tbh. It took a lot longer than I thought it would)
I dont think its a simplistic as that to be honest ..every team has a way of playing to their strengths and its the oppositions job to counter .....most of amads goals were not from quick breaks it was crafty wonderful and often slow motion interchanges betwean roberts and amad around the box!

So why did some people want Mowbray out? A costly call that at least reassuringly, the majority didn't want.

Some people wanted Mowbray out because he came in and did what he was asked. stable first season.
What we wanted was an astute coach to take us to the next level.
We got Beale.

It was clear as day in the early days of the season at Preston.
As soon as we got found out we didn’t have a plan b.

Last edited:
So why did some people want Mowbray out? A costly call that at least reassuringly, the majority didn't want.
I don't think anyone could have predicted such a shit replacement.

I wasn't behind getting rid but could see the sense in it, given speakman and tony clearly falling out. Can't believe how badly we fucked up afterwards

How can we go from a team of exciting young players that were playing lovely football, chasing and running at the opposition, with a great team spirit, to what we see now?.
It's got to be the coaching. Like him or not them kids thought the world of, or at least respected tony mowbray. Summit's not reet😉
They played the same for most of the season. Truth is they’re not very good.

Disagree, especially on Dan Neil. Easily get that in the current market.

I think he’s somewhat overrated by our supporters. He generates very little interest or fuss in the media or from pundits. Isn’t capped at under 21 level either. Doesn’t score a lot or create much to catch the eye. I don’t think many clubs will be queuing up to pay £20m for him.

I may turn out to be wrong.

Quite a few people here have pointed out that Speakman never replaced Evans and Stewart/Simms during last season, but he has since compounded that by getting rid of the remaining experience we had who supported the amazing efforts of the likes of Amad, Roberts and Clarke last season.

Chasing Baath, Pritchard and Gooch out of the club was criminal in my view! I know Gooch had many detractors, but he was a very good option to have around the club due to his versatility and commitment, and he loved SAFC. We have now replaced that experience with the square root of diddly-squat, and yet some people would blame Mowbray for the fall-off in performances from last season's levels! Well Bealezeebub has not made any improvements, so I think it's safe to say the problem was not Mowbray.

Because Speakman has an ego the size of a planet
Tbh that's what it boils down to, I've already said I wasn't opposed to Mowbrays sacking but didn't know or want us appointing the Beale but ultimately you've got to look at the arrogance and stubbornness of Speakman. He had that good spell when we brought in Clarke, Roberts etc but since then, bar a few, like Ballard, the recruitment has been shite.

Problem is quality forwards cost a bit of money that we are not prepared to pay. Speakman needs to realise that Ross Stewart for £300k from Ross county was a one off....could be a decade before we get lucky that that again.

Ps. Plus he was a Lee Johnson signing, nothing to do with the recruitment team unearthing him.

Probably because we’ve been found out. Didn’t replace Stewart or Evans (I honestly think it is that simple)
It is and always has been
Tbh that's what it boils down to, I've already said I wasn't opposed to Mowbrays sacking but didn't know or want us appointing the Beale but ultimately you've got to look at the arrogance and stubbornness of Speakman. He had that good spell when we brought in Clarke, Roberts etc but since then, bar a few, like Ballard, the recruitment has been shite.
He’s untouchable !!
He’s untouchable !!

Last edited:

Back