Taking your kids out of school for holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
As in most things its the few who spoilt it for the many

I have taken the last day or two of a term in thw past but ive seen parents take the kids out dor a fortnight bang middle of the main terms and then again later in the year.

for most thw discretionary 10 days worked fine.

might have been better to reassess that to 5 days with certain black out weeks around exam times
Too much common sense there mate, fair enough if kids taking 30-40 days off a school year but up to 10 days is nothing until they reach 14ish

Perfectly fine for the teachers to go on strike in order to disrupt exams though.

Fuck off.
Yes you're right it is fine for teachers to withhold their labour if they have a dispute with their employer, in fact most employees have this right,

cant be that arsed, always on f***ing strike, we should fine the teachers
You wish to fine people who do nothing wrong, strange.

Yes you're right it is fine for teachers to withhold their labour if they have a dispute with their employer, in fact most employees have this right,

Timing could ruin kids lives, some of us have a conscious and wouldn't strike when the company/kids really needed us.

Too much common sense there mate, fair enough if kids taking 30-40 days off a school year but up to 10 days is nothing until they reach 14ish
The old system was fine, head teachers knew which parents pulled the piss and which parents were genuine. Then Gove comes along with a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Mr Gove brought this legislation in, any problems direct it to him.

There are 190 teaching days and 5 inset days in a year, I agree inset days should be at the start or the finish of a holiday, the vast majority have them then although I have heard of schools which have them mid term. I appreciate this can be annoying the children don't lose out on teaching time.
My kids school usually has them at the end of a holiday period, which extends the time off or on a random Monday. My point is that they seem its ok to take time out of kids school days whenever it benefits them....

why not do it during a holiday period when kids are off, I am forever being told that teachers work during this period!?

My kids school usually has them at the end of a holiday period, which extends the time off or on a random Monday. My point is that they seem its ok to take time out of kids school days whenever it benefits them....
No they don't. If your kids aren't receiving 190 days education a year you need to inform your LEA if they are a LEA school or the DoE if they are a free school/ academy. Please keep us informed of developments.

No they don't. If your kids aren't receiving 190 days education a year you need to inform your LEA if they are a LEA school or the DoE if they are a free school/ academy. Please keep us informed of developments.
Correct. Kids get 190 days regardless of how a school organises it's 5 inset days. That's simply up to the Head how he or she works it.

Booked our holiday for Florida last May for October 2014.........kids are going to miss about 6 days. Covers the half term but going for two weeks with a late flight back that means they miss the extra day. When booked it, it was under the old rules so not sure how it will play out with the schools. Rather it wasn't term time but its about £3K cheaper going when we are going in October compared to August. And that bit cooler as well. And less queues!! Don't intend to do it again after this though.

Im as thick as a castle wall and I was nivver taken out of school to go on holiday. In fact we nivver went on holidays apart from a week at Seahouses or a week at my dads maras caravan up St John Chapels way. Once we went to Whitby for a week in a caravan but it rained solid for the first four days and nights so we came home early, happy days.

Booked our holiday for Florida last May for October 2014.........kids are going to miss about 6 days. Covers the half term but going for two weeks with a late flight back that means they miss the extra day. When booked it, it was under the old rules so not sure how it will play out with the schools. Rather it wasn't term time but its about £3K cheaper going when we are going in October compared to August. And that bit cooler as well. And less queues!! Don't intend to do it again after this though.
I would think provided you can prove it was before the new rules, you should be ok.

Why do teachers only go on strike over pay ? Ive seen loads of teachers moaning about what Gove is doing so why not strike about that ?

Why do teachers only go on strike over pay ? Ive seen loads of teachers moaning about what Gove is doing so why not strike about that ?
Don't know you'll have to ask them, but they can strike over whatever issue they choose as can others.

Wasn't blaming them, just stated teachers have inset days outside of term time so can't be 2 damaging to the kids. why don't they have inset days during holiday period?

It doesn't take a genius to see the difference between the two.. When teachers are out for the day all the kids are out too and no lessons take place.. when 1 kid is away for 2 weeks the lessons still go on and that 1 kid misses 2 weeks worth of lessons - it is impossible for the teacher/school to catch that 1 kid up on everything they missed.

Doing it for mine in December for Lapland

f***ing shite to it (married to a teacher aswell, the shame of it)

How is your wife getting out of term time?

We've done the same to go in may this yr. Head had verbally agreed it just before rule changes, but i put written request in after rules changed.

she rang me and basically said if the request stated it was for a family celebration she would happily authorise it and that she still had some "circumstances" where it could be authorised still. Not sure how right that is, but she gave us a letter saying it was ok

don't see a problem with it tbh if parents are sensible. We always make sure they catch up at home & the head has asked them to do a little project on florida to show her when they come back which is good imo. The ones that take the piss with absence & sickness still will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back