Tesco in The Bridges to close

I talked to one of the staff and there don’t see it been relocating but then unsure if the staff would know
Considering how busy shop was I’m surprised they aren’t relocating
I cant believe that all customers will move their loyalty to wheatsheaf
Plenty use the bridges shop from areas off hylton and Chester road

Considering how busy shop was I’m surprised they aren’t relocating
I cant believe that all customers will move their loyalty to wheatsheaf
Plenty use the bridges shop from areas off hylton and Chester road

They won't, it's simple as that. I can't imagine there's many people doing a full shop in Sunderland either though mind, it's more of a top up shop really so probably end up at the local Premier or whatever is around and do their full shop at Sainsbury's or Morrison's or wherever they do their weekly shop already.

The people in the town centre flats will now have to go over the bridge to the Tesco's there.
A mate of mine who lives in the flats jumps on the bus up to the Prospect for the Lidl there or gets the Metro to Millfield for the Aldi.
A lot of the "pound shops" sell a limited food range, and of course Jackie Whites have fresh meat, fish and fruit/veg outlets.

The people in the town centre flats will now have to go over the bridge to the Tesco's there.
A mate of mine who lives in the flats jumps on the bus up to the Prospect for the Lidl there or gets the Metro to Millfield for the Aldi.
A lot of the "pound shops" sell a limited food range, and of course Jackie Whites have fresh meat, fish and fruit/veg outlets.

Also there's the Iceland store in the Bridges.

I've always thought that one is only any good if you live in the 3 high rise flat blocks in the town centre, anywhere else and your frozen purchases will be thawed by the time you get home. Thought it was more of a scratter's Tesco when I've popped in for the odd purchase.
It's over ten years since it was my local tesco, but it was easy enough to walk the stuff over to where I was living by the Ivy House without the frozen stuff melting. That Tesco was mainly for odds and sods as my main shop was online and delivered.

If that closes the bridges is really on its last legs and needs to evaluate it’s rent quick

The biggest mistake in the Bridges was building Primark at the end and making it a dead end. If I was the Bridges I'd try and get Iceland into the Tesco unit and make an entrance to the Bridges onto Keel Square outside Primark with maybe a new cafe or something. It really doesn't flow down there and it's no surprise there's a lot of empty units down that wing either.

If that closes the bridges is really on its last legs and needs to evaluate it’s rent quick

Not sure the rent would be the deciding factor sure it will have to do with the amount of staff, produce/stock, utility costs, rates, service charge that they will need to be paid, plus whether being inside the shopping centre is the right thing.

The biggest mistake in the Bridges was building Primark at the end and making it a dead end. If I was the Bridges I'd try and get Iceland into the Tesco unit and make an entrance to the Bridges onto Keel Square outside Primark with maybe a new cafe or something. It really doesn't flow down there and it's no surprise there's a lot of empty units down that wing either.
It was. What if it closes? Walking through an empty unit to access The Bridges is not very inviting.

Not sure the rent would be the deciding factor sure it will have to do with the amount of staff, produce/stock, utility costs, rates, service charge that they will need to be paid, plus whether being inside the shopping centre is the right thing.
Nah its definitely the rent and the fact that the bridges management won't carry out repairs tesco have unused space they don't want upstairs. Tesco looked at some other sites in town centre but couldn't get what they want they aren't locating anywhere else either in town centre

Nah its definitely the rent and the fact that the bridges management won't carry out repairs tesco have unused space they don't want upstairs. Tesco looked at some other sites in town centre but couldn't get what they want they aren't locating anywhere else either in town centre

Fair enough. Suspect bridges unwilling to reduce rent as will rent a precedent for other retailers to follow and reduce value of the centre.

It isn't a dead end though

It isn't a dead end though

It is though, you can't count cutting through Primark to get through as people will just avoid it and it's shows badly especially on High Street West which has died since they ever done that and now the Bridges is struggling down there aswell.

There used to be some decent retail down there Curry's, BHS, M&S, Game, Argos, Littlewoods, Mothercare, JJB Sports and numerous shoe shops. Now there's M&S and no offence to the stores mostly junk and Ashley can join that.

Back