Thatcher and the IRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Produce facts. Evidence. Otherwise stop. You have produced a big fat zero.
Are you for fuckin real? Facts are the "personal" ones. You can't get any better facts than that.

It is clear from your posts you have a soft spot for the Republican movement, you feel upset about not achieving your aim, I can understand that.

It was nice to hear the news yesterday of a bit of in house IRA fighting, always good news to see big players taken out the game.

I know plenty about the subject. And fuck off with your 'republican prisoners' shite. They were murdering, psychopathic scum, not freedom fighters. These people, when free, had all the benefits of a modern western democracy. They walked the streets, had freedom of speech, and most importantly access to the ballot box. They chose to indiscriminately masacre thousands of men, women and children. Political prisoners my arse. They weren't living under an oppressive regime like North Korea FFS. The reason the political prisoner status was removed is because the weren't political prisoners. They were convicted terrorists. Thatcher was right.

Bang on. Best post on this board for months.

Not really.

The truth is that there was a strong Republican movement in the North, people who wanted to not just subvert the government but change the entire system and where their loyalties lay. That is unprecedented in modern Western history. No wonder the Protestant lot were keen to keep a stern hand over the country.

I should qualify this by saying I have no problem with the Irish. The fact remains, however, that Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom and a large proportion of the population want to change that. You'd be a touch paranoid in the event your culture was under threat.

Uninformed. The Republican movement in northern Ireland only started in earnest after decades of oppression and abuse of power.

I can't believe there are people walking who excuse the IRA, which amounted to bombing civilians - English civilians at that, because of their bollocks politics.

Shameful.

They were a pack of terrorists who targeted England. Our f***ing country for fuck's sake.

Are you for fuckin real? Facts are the "personal" ones. You can't get any better facts than that.

It is clear from your posts you have a soft spot for the Republican movement, you feel upset about not achieving your aim, I can understand that.

It was nice to hear the news yesterday of a bit of in house IRA fighting, always good news to see big players taken out the game.

:) Right I've indulged your rantings enough.

I can't believe there are people walking who excuse the IRA, which amounted to bombing civilians - English civilians at that, because of their bollocks politics.

Shameful.

They were a pack of terrorists who targeted England. Our f***ing country for fuck's sake.

Quite right. They did some terrible things.

Read some books mate. After the civil rights protests were crumpled on the whole Republican movement escalated.

Heard it all now. Someone who thinks Irish Republicanism started in earnest after the 'civil rights protests' is admonishing another to 'read some books'. Christ. You don't even have to read a book, mate, a cursory glance at the internet for 10 minutes would tell you otherwise.

I was referring to his gross simplification of the issue

What do you want a 3 page essay, bloody hell its an internet forum.

Heard it all now. Someone who thinks Irish Republicanism started in earnest after the 'civil rights protests' is admonishing another to 'read some books'. Christ. You don't even have to read a book, mate, a cursory glance at the internet for 10 minutes would tell you otherwise.

Jesus wept. Another cretin trying to pretend he knows something.

Last edited:
Not really.

The truth is that there was a strong Republican movement in the North, people who wanted to not just subvert the government but change the entire system and where their loyalties lay. That is unprecedented in modern Western history. No wonder the Protestant lot were keen to keep a stern hand over the country.

I should qualify this by saying I have no problem with the Irish. The fact remains, however, that Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom and a large proportion of the population want to change that. You'd be a touch paranoid in the event your culture was under threat.
I agree. How many hundreds of years have the English and Scottish been in Ireland ? What has that history shown ?

Were you there on Bloody Sunday ? Genuine question as you seem to be inferring it.

Shameful.

Absolute murdering f***ing scum, killed kids...irish and english.

Disgusting cowardly bastards.

What do you want a 3 page essay, bloody hell its an internet forum.

Jesus wept. Another cretin trying to pretend he knows something.
You seem to think you're some kind of expert on this subject, tell me what experiences you have of the troubles.

You seem to think you're some kind of expert on this subject, tell me what experiences you have of the troubles.

I've studied the subject in some detail in Uni, was a good while ago I admit, and I accept I could not be up to date on some stuff, but the basics like the rise of the Provisional IRA etc. has not changed much.

Getting a bit heavy this. Anyone fancy a pint of Santas Soot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back