The adoption process

Has anyone adopted a child before? What’s it like? How did you find the process?
a) Yes
b) Not to be taken lightly, you don't always know the full family history (medical or otherwise) and you have to be prepared to take any questions honestly (as they get older)
c) Invasive (as it should be) your own family is scrutinised and sounded out (do they all agree/ accept you adopting?)

You need to be committed (not to a institution;)) You are taking on a big commitment, the future of a child. You are also giving a child, maybe and hopefully, a better, more certain future than they might have had?

Nothing but the utmost admiration for people who foster children/give them the best chance they can.

My old RE teacher used to foster kids, was on a list for particularly damaged kids that had to be suddenly relocated.
She used to tell us about one little lass, they got woke up during the night saying can you take her, they said yes. The little lassie used to hide food in her underwear and her hair was that matted, they had to shave her head. Harrowing stuff.

Yes, we are a few years in. It's a gruelling process before you even start the tougher bit of going through the process of 'choosing' a child turn the toughest part starts when you actually become a family ha. I'd say the weeks transition process from foster carer to us is the most mentally draining week our my life. Wouldn't change it for the world. It's so rewarding to see a confused kid who doesn't know what's going on turning into a wonderful young boy and seeing him slowly but surely putting the pieces together and learning what it's all about ....most of the time ha..It's not for the faint hearted mind and both people need to be 100% committed to making it work

Last edited:
a) Yes
b) Not to be taken lightly, you don't always know the full family history (medical or otherwise) and you have to be prepared to take any questions honestly (as they get older)
c) Invasive (as it should be) your own family is scrutinised and sounded out (do they all agree/ accept you adopting?)

You need to be committed (not to a institution;)) You are taking on a big commitment, the future of a child. You are also giving a child, maybe and hopefully, a better, more certain future than they might have had?
A very good and brave thing to do marra. You have my utmost respect as I can only imagine how challenging (but rewarding) it will be.

a) Yes

They got in contact with my ex wife. We'd been separated well over 15 year but she did have a kid so obviously wanted to know what type of step dad I was. Thankfully me being me I was a good one ha. She played ball and was spot on giving me a good reference

a) Yes

This.

Nothing but the utmost admiration for people who foster children/give them the best chance they can.

My old RE teacher used to foster kids, was on a list for particularly damaged kids that had to be suddenly relocated.
She used to tell us about one little lass, they got woke up during the night saying can you take her, they said yes. The little lassie used to hide food in her underwear and her hair was that matted, they had to shave her head. Harrowing stuff.
Sadly, we have seen these types of stories, over and over again. We have fostered for nearly 30 years (having our own family beforehand) It saps your strength over time. It chisels away at your endurance. It can bring disharmony to your own family, yet you feel you must continue! It gets you out of/ keeps you out of bed!
We just hope that our efforts have been worth it? Thankfully, we know that this is true in lots of cases.
Yes, we are a few years in. It's a gruelling process before you even start the tougher bit of going through the process of 'choosing' a child turn the toughest part starts when you actually become a family ha. I'd say the weeks transition process from foster carer to us is the most mentally draining week our my life. Wouldn't change it for the world. It's so rewarding to see a confused kid who doesn't know what's going on turning into a wonderful young boy and seeing him slowly but surely putting the pieces together and learning what it's all about ....most of the time ha..It's not for the faint hearted mind and both people need to be 100% committed to making it work
You are doing a great job. The week (or so) of introductions is very intense as you say (we've done it lots of times) Our lass cry's her eyes out when they go!! (so do i, but don't mention it!) :lol:
They got in contact with my ex wife. We'd been separated well over 15 year but she did have a kid so obviously wanted to know what type of step dad I was. Thankfully me being me I was a good one ha. She played ball and was spot on giving me a good reference
Wishing you all the best for the future :cool:

Last edited:
It’ll be on our horizon in the not too distant future, so interested to see the replies on this.

3 failed rounds of IVF (all paid for which you can imagine added to the extra stress)

Fly to Croatia back end of March to have her implanted with an embryo we’ve paid for (all done through a clinic). 78% success rate compared to the 44% UK IVF.

If that fails, then we are going down the adoption route.

Has anyone adopted a child before? What’s it like? How did you find the process?
Just to let people know that your present circumstances don't always prevent you from adopting. If you feel you can offer a child/children the opportunity of a loving home, get in touch with an adoption agency. You can make the difference.
(post here the Kitchener poster, Your Country Needs You) :cool:

It’ll be on our horizon in the not too distant future, so interested to see the replies on this.

3 failed rounds of IVF (all paid for which you can imagine added to the extra stress)

Fly to Croatia back end of March to have her implanted with an embryo we’ve paid for (all done through a clinic). 78% success rate compared to the 44% UK IVF.

Good luck marra.

Any reason that can be confirmed why the success rate is higher over there?

Very best of luck to you both mate

Any reason that can be confirmed why the success rate is higher over there?

It’s got something to do with the screening process of the donated sperm and egg.

Then there’s extra tests that can be done on the Mrs too. Sperm tests are easy and you can get the facts you need from one test. Bit more to it with females. They can be screened for allsorts, which lets the doctors know what other steroids the Mrs needs to be given in the run up to implantation. In the UK, one of these particular tests is £2,500. Over there it’s £400. Can’t imagine many will take that option up over here which will increase the amount of failed cycles

Wish you all the luck in the world .I cant imagine the amount of stress on the pair of you

It’s got something to do with the screening process of the donated sperm and egg.

Then there’s extra tests that can be done on the Mrs too. Sperm tests are easy and you can get the facts you need from one test. Bit more to it with females. They can be screened for allsorts, which lets the doctors know what other steroids the Mrs needs to be given in the run up to implantation. In the UK, one of these particular tests is £2,500. Over there it’s £400. Can’t imagine many will take that option up over here which will increase the amount of failed cycles
Surprise! surprise! down to money! Hope everything turns out for the best for both of you. Stressful, indeed :cry: Please keep your adoption options open if you can?

All the best either way!

wishing the pair of you every success

Best of luck to you both fella

Back