The Roker Specials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlton away when Billy Hughes broke his leg 75/76 ish.

Corny O Donnels roker bingo special , ended up at Stratford then bussed to the ground parked up near Makro iirc , interesting to say the least after the match.

Corny O Donnels roker bingo special , ended up at Stratford then bussed to the ground parked up near Makro iirc , interesting to say the least after the match.

Sounds like something from a spaghetti western movie.:lol:
It's amazing how those old football specials would make their way around the rail network to the most obscure grounds. It must've been like driving a f**king car back then. Nowadays there'd be three years worth of health and safety meetings before the f**ker could go to Darlington.

Cracking memories here mind. Can understand lads travelling by train now - in comparative comfort and luxury to the old BR stock.

Sounds like something from a spaghetti western movie.:lol:
It's amazing how those old football specials would make their way around the rail network to the most obscure grounds. It must've been like driving a f**king car back then. Nowadays there'd be three years worth of health and safety meetings before the f**ker could go to Darlington.

Do you not remember him ? I'm sure Barry Siddall will .

He was in charge of Roker Bingo and other promotions , I've convinced he left under a cloud so to speak.

If I'm not mistaken I'm sure his son came and did a similar job years later.

Do you not remember him ? I'm sure Barry Siddall will .

He was in charge of Roker Bingo and other promotions , I've convinced he left under a cloud so to speak.

If I'm not mistaken I'm sure his son came and did a similar job years later.

Of course i do!! He had dark hair, possibly with a slight curl.
I was very young so i don't know any tales of dark clouds.
I'm sure he used to run the travel club which was different to the supporters association. I might not be 100% correct as i was young and daft. Now i'm older and dafter.:lol:

No not some Sun'lun two tone tribute band, but the old BR trains back in the 70s - any memories of these?

The Chelsea thread reminded of them as I went on a couple 75ish to Chelsea and Oxford (lost both 1-0). I was an 11 year old about that time so it was exciting. I'm sure we were picked up at Pelaw or mebbe parked there and got on Heworth?

Anyway I remember the big lads drinking and swearing on the train and wrecking the already wrecked old coaching stock used for footy specials. This was a big adventure for me especially the lads readying themselves for running battles with Chelsea.

Fiver I think my dad said they cost... but what an experience compared to other trips by car or coach. Footy specials should be brought back and keep ordinary punters off the train...nee mail dry trains!

Went on that one.

Went on a few Footy Specials in the mid 70`s . Hull 1976 4-1 win train stopped out side the turnstiles ,Sheff Utd 77 drew 1-1 ,Podgy on the pitch before kick off with his Union Jack and the first singing of Wise Men Say that I heard .Norwich in 77 drew 2-2 week after Man U had wrecked the place and one had fell through the roof ,loads of lads wearing their safety hats from the yards with beware falling Man UTD fans .Happy days .

wa
I agree with Hank, a two carriage train from down here to Sunderland for the match is bedlam this time of year. I went on a few Footy specials in the 70's, most memorable was one to Bristol Rovers, great crack on train with booze being sold ham stotty's etc but the train windows were put through in Bristol and it was a proper battle to get back to the train from Eastville.

was that the 3-2 defeat?? great day apart from the result of course....

No not some Sun'lun two tone tribute band, but the old BR trains back in the 70s - any memories of these?

The Chelsea thread reminded of them as I went on a couple 75ish to Chelsea and Oxford (lost both 1-0). I was an 11 year old about that time so it was exciting. I'm sure we were picked up at Pelaw or mebbe parked there and got on Heworth?

Anyway I remember the big lads drinking and swearing on the train and wrecking the already wrecked old coaching stock used for footy specials. This was a big adventure for me especially the lads readying themselves for running battles with Chelsea.

Fiver I think my dad said they cost... but what an experience compared to other trips by car or coach. Footy specials should be brought back and keep ordinary punters off the train...nee mail dry trains!

the Oxford defeat was memorable for many reasons, their winning goal was from 35 yards, the amount of fans we had there and their goalie being flattened by one of our lot....great days.... sigh.......

Went on a few Footy Specials in the mid 70`s . Hull 1976 4-1 win train stopped out side the turnstiles ,Sheff Utd 77 drew 1-1 ,Podgy on the pitch before kick off with his Union Jack and the first singing of Wise Men Say that I heard .Norwich in 77 drew 2-2 week after Man U had wrecked the place and one had fell through the roof ,loads of lads wearing their safety hats from the yards with beware falling Man UTD fans .Happy days .

I'm sure the Man Utd went through the roof the season before 75/76 , the season after they got relegated ?

I was at the 2-2 match the next season and cannot remember seeing any lads wearing hard hats.

Could be wrong like its that long ago.

I'm sure the Man Utd went through the roof the season before 75/76 , the season after they got relegated ?

I was at the 2-2 match the next season and cannot remember seeing any lads wearing hard hats.

77 mate .

How about Cardiff City away in the Cup 1972? Original game postponed and played the following Tuesday/Wednesday. Got back to Seaham about 4.00am.

Yes it was 77.

Remember Corny well. Think he lived in Jarrow. Ran the travel club & the Roker Bingo as you rightly say.

Of course i do!! He had dark hair, possibly with a slight curl.
I was very young so i don't know any tales of dark clouds.
I'm sure he used to run the travel club which was different to the supporters association. I might not be 100% correct as i was young and daft. Now i'm older and dafter.:lol:
Yep, that's the bloke !

There was a shuttle service that ran from Hull's ground to the main station. Me & my mates decided to walk back (about half a mile?). Ended up legging it from a load of Hull & probably beat the train !

Last edited:
Would be class if they had the football specials on again. Would save everyone loads of hassle and money. It would be ridiculously heavily policed now though, or they would get smashed up unfortunately.

Would be class if they had the football specials on again. Would save everyone loads of hassle and money. It would be ridiculously heavily policed now though, or they would get smashed up unfortunately.

They used to get smashed up every week. I thought that was the whole point.

There was one special I was on (could have been the Liverpool game) where we stopped at some junction. There was a forest train which stopped at the same junction about 200 feet away. Lads were getting off both trains and picking up owt lying about and hoying at each other.

Shoudl have seen the scramble when the trains started pulling away

the Sheff Utd game before you left the station the police were searching everyone you were given the option hand in whatever you have before being searched...it ended up a table full of hammers,axes and chains .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back