The Roker Specials

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used to get smashed up every week. I thought that was the whole point.
Was the point not cheap and covenient travel, but because they got smashed up, they got cancelled? Before my time like just.

It would be great to have them back and be paying a tenner return to london like some chelsea lot are. Won't happen though, as the "tough" and "mental" types can't control themselves on a train, without smashing lights and windows.

Was the point not cheap and covenient travel, but because they got smashed up, they got cancelled? Before my time like just.

It would be great to have them back and be paying a tenner return to london like some chelsea lot are. Won't happen though, as the "tough" and "mental" types can't control themselves on a train, without smashing lights and windows.

Firstly the train companies used old rolling stock so sometimes it was difficult to see the difference between before and after shots.
I think one of the main reasons they stopped was it probably became more and more difficult to programme in random trains going all across the country as networks became busier.
Also, i more than suspect this chelsea trip is subsidised. The price would be way over £10 even on a special.
I agree though, football specials were great.

wa

was that the 3-2 defeat?? great day apart from the result of course....

the Oxford defeat was memorable for many reasons, their winning goal was from 35 yards, the amount of fans we had there and their goalie being flattened by one of our lot....great days.... sigh.......
Aye, I was a young's at the time - never realised how close to promotion we were that season. In fact had we won that one we'd have gone up. I recall it was a bloke called Ian McCulloch and from memory a 35 yard rocket (no cameras or MOTD but can still see it fly home) was in the seats that day in what I am sure was the imaginatively named Dressing Room Stand.

Remember Corny well. Think he lived in Jarrow. Ran the travel club & the Roker Bingo as you rightly say.

Yep, that's the bloke !
All ended "under a cloud" as mentioned. Hand-in-the-till so to speak. Was a bit of a scandal at the time. He'd have been given a promotion and treasurers job for it these days. Was just a young's back then as mentioned but well connected with ROker Bing and power sellers lol.

They used to get smashed up every week. I thought that was the whole point.
Aye they were old stock, nee lights, damaged seating and/or broken windows and shunted all over the back lines of the country. Got people around until it all got out of hand and too much. It would probably work better now mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back