Things you never knew part 3487

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jointly with Jarrow.

Ah but the great library was actually at St Peter's which made it more of the centre of things. Sadly the importance of the monestry at St Peter's is a little over looked because being constructed almost entirely of wood there is now very little of it to see. Particularly after the Vikings burned it down around 860. Because there is more of St Paul's at Jarrow left a greater part of it being built in stone it attracted the attention of early historians and greater importance was attached to it- wrongly in my opinion. But I admit that Jarrow does have "Bede World"

Last edited:
Ah but the great library was actually at St Peter's which made it more of the centre of things. Sadly the importance of the monestry at St Peter's is a little over looked because being constructed almost entirely of wood there is now very little of it to see. Particularly after the Vikings burned it down around 860. Because there is more of St Paul's at Jarrow left a greater part of it being built in stone it attracted the attention of early historians and greater importance was attached to it- wrongly in my opinion. But I admin that Jarrow does have "Bede World"
Source? Proof?

Sorry to sound sceptical but I am extremely suspicious of attempts to big up St Peter's at the expense of St Paul's or vice versa.

Last year found out that until the 1900s (or may have been near the end of 1890s) that Whitley Bay was just called Whitley. The word "Bay" was added because when trains from Scotland ran through, travellers were confusing Whitby and Whitley.

Last year found out that until the 1900s (or may have been near the end of 1890s) that Whitley Bay was just called Whitley. The word "Bay" was added because when trains from Scotland ran through, travellers were confusing Whitby and Whitley.

That sort of thing's been going on for years. Some people at Sunderland confused Jeff Whitley for a footballer.

On the contary what I am saying is that (even today) greater importance is attached to St Pauls because simply there is more of it left to see. In fact the Anglo Saxons did not distingush between either monestry at St Peter's or St Paul's - it was one in the same thing - a reference to one was a reference to the other. They considered it to be one monestry - not two. It is undertandable that early historians would assume that St Paul's was more important because there was more physical evidence of it. The "Dark Ages" were dark because of the scarcity of written sources and not much was know about them so historiansad had little to go on other than what could be seen. Modern archeology has opened up the Dark Ages we know the Anglo Saxons had great wealth and culture - that's why the Vikings and ultimately the Norman's were so interested in England. (Prof Rosemary Cramp has written extensively about the St Peters' site and excavated it in the early 1960's).

That sort of thing's been going on for years. Some people at Sunderland confused Jeff Whitley for a footballer.

:lol:

Apparently the final straw was when some bloke who was born and had his early life in Whitby, made his fortune up in Scotland, and asked that when he died wanted to be buried in Whitby. His coffin being transported by train for his funeral in Whitby, was mistakenly dropped off in Whitley.

:lol:

Apparently the final straw was when some bloke who was born and had his early life in Whitby, made his fortune up in Scotland, and asked that when he died wanted to be buried in Whitby. His coffin being transported by train for his funeral in Whitby, was mistakenly dropped off in Whitley.

Jesus wept :lol::eek:

Why don't you have a lie in and then cycle to the other place?

The lie in bit sounds nice.But i can lie in any day of the week,so missing a sat.morning is no bother really.And the other place is M/bro. 45 miles one way.Too much.Though i have done it before.
Anyway,its done now,and even though it was windy and a bit nippy,i'm just a tad fitter than i was before.

If you rub garlic on the soles of your feet, it comes out on your breath, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back