This is England '90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 15 when This Is England came out and remember being a little bit shocked at how brutal the scene with Milky getting his head kicked in was.

It's not a light hearted series of films/episodes. I think it's all necessary though.
Combo is superb in that film, shame he hasn't had a big role in the TV series

Looks the same set up as the other 2 series a light hearted nostalgia fest 1st episode then no doubt it'll all go to shit for some character
I'll probably not bother then. That lass with the silly voice and face irritates me immensely n'arl.

His best film is Dead Man's Shoes which was very good - followed by This Is England which was decent enough.

The TV series has been hit and miss - at least this one will be the last one to be made. The production values don't seem to be very high so far. The whole 'Madchester' scene condensed into a little room with a complete lack of it's true identity.

Surely they could have booked a venue the size of the Hacienda and licensed a variety of the music of the time - as derivative as it would have been it would have been better than what they portrayed in this.

Two years was meant to have passed since the end of the last one yet it was as if it was the next day. Shaun's Mam talking to him about college/smell and him turning up at smells college? What has he been doing for two years?

Them two 'comedy' characters along with Woody's parents ridiculous overacting made the whole thing look like a poor comedy sketch.

Entertaining enough I thought. Neither '86 or '88 were up to the standard of the original film but they were decent enough, this seems to be shaping up to be following those in starting off slowly and picking up towards the end of the series.

The disposable comedy characters get on my nerves though. I was sat watching wondering what the point in them is.

His best film is Dead Man's Shoes which was very good - followed by This Is England which was decent enough.

The TV series has been hit and miss - at least this one will be the last one to be made. The production values don't seem to be very high so far. The whole 'Madchester' scene condensed into a little room with a complete lack of it's true identity.

Surely they could have booked a venue the size of the Hacienda and licensed a variety of the music of the time - as derivative as it would have been it would have been better than what they portrayed in this.

Also love A Room For Romeo Brass. Paddy Considine is tremendous in it.

Massive fan of Dead Mans Shoes. Studied Meadows extensively when I did Media at college and the bloke is a very, very underrated director and screenplay writer.

His films all have a similar pattern - working class backdrop, very intimate dialogue and dark/disturbing overtones. He'll often take on storylines that others would class as taboo.

Entertaining enough I thought. Neither '86 or '88 were up to the standard of the original film but they were decent enough, this seems to be shaping up to be following those in starting off slowly and picking up towards the end of the series.

The disposable comedy characters get on my nerves though. I was sat watching wondering what the point in them is.

The point in them appears to be comedy mate.

Anyhow, watched it because I loved everything that's gone before so want to see what happens. 1990 was also the year before I was born, both my parents were in their early 20s in this era so I thought it would be good to watch an approximation of what it was like.

Seems like it's not that good an approximation from the comments here though :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back