Three Weaker Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despite not being as strong as we were last season i've had a good look and i actually think there's three worse teams than us. So, although we've stepped backwards it could also be argued we've stepped forwards.

I won't name the three in case it jinx's us but i'm quite optimistic that the Ellis Short Hollywood Blockbuster can plod on for another year.

Would like to know in what respect you think we've "stepped backwards".

We've gotten rid of a shit manager, dumped a load of second rate squad filler, made some reasonable signings and have just earned a point in a fixture that saw us get tonked last season.

Despite not being as strong as we were last season i've had a good look and i actually think there's three worse teams than us. So, although we've stepped backwards it could also be argued we've stepped forwards.

I won't name the three in case it jinx's us but i'm quite optimistic that the Ellis Short Hollywood Blockbuster can plod on for another year.
We need 15 worse teams than us if we are to confirm that we'll be playing in Europe next year.;)

I don't get this "not as strong as last season"; at last seasons 1st game I saw a team that had a porous defence and an inability to create or take chances, with chaotic management off the field a sure recipe for relegation, last Saturday I saw a team with an organised robust defence that also had a cutting edge going forward, and a relaxed in control management team off the pitch, in other words based on the evidence so far we are much stronger than last season. On what basis do u conclude that we are not?

And three of those aren't there any more and we're worse than we were last season.

They've been replaced, not deemed good enough to sign or in the process of being replaced.

Worse than least season? We are already level points with what we were on after 7 games last season.

Would like to know in what respect you think we've "stepped backwards".

We've gotten rid of a shit manager, dumped a load of second rate squad filler, made some reasonable signings and have just earned a point in a fixture that saw us get tonked last season.

Firstly, i class Gus as our manager for last season. We're slightly stronger in the goalkeeper department but that will only become obvious with injuries.
Agree about getting rid of the cheap dross but we don't know which of the new batch will be termed cheap dross yet.

We're short of Borini, Ki, Colback, Alonso and Bardsley. All of those had an impact on our season and not all have been replaced to the required standard. So in terms of the first team we're slightly behind. There is a bit of the transfer window left but as things stand we aren't even level with last year, never mind ahead.

I don't get this "not as strong as last season"; at last seasons 1st game I saw a team that had a porous defence and an inability to create or take chances, with chaotic management off the field a sure recipe for relegation, last Saturday I saw a team with an organised robust defence that also had a cutting edge going forward, and a relaxed in control management team off the pitch, in other words based on the evidence so far we are much stronger than last season. On what basis do u conclude that we are not?

see post 50

They've been replaced, not deemed good enough to sign or in the process of being replaced.

Worse than least season? We are already level points with what we were on after 7 games last season.

See post 50

I did. Why do you not count PDC's period in charge when talking about last season?
Seems a tad unfair if you don't mind me saying so. :lol:

Percentage wise it was the smallest slice of the cake. I'm just taking last season as a lump and assessing it overall. There's still time for us to move forward this year.

Percentage wise it was the smallest slice of the cake. I'm just taking last season as a lump and assessing it overall. There's still time for us to move forward this year.

It was an important slice tho. Ridiculous to ignore it as if it didn't happen. Horrendous starts have wrecked many a club's season.

It was an important slice tho? Ridiculous to ignore it as if it didn't happen. Horrendous starts have recked many a club's season.

I'm just comparing the playing staff available and i think last season's best 11 would beat this seasons best 11.

Firstly, i class Gus as our manager for last season. We're slightly stronger in the goalkeeper department but that will only become obvious with injuries.
Agree about getting rid of the cheap dross but we don't know which of the new batch will be termed cheap dross yet.

We're short of Borini, Ki, Colback, Alonso and Bardsley. All of those had an impact on our season and not all have been replaced to the required standard. So in terms of the first team we're slightly behind. There is a bit of the transfer window left but as things stand we aren't even level with last year, never mind ahead.

see post 50

See post 50
Ok so you think it's about the individuals and not the team, as I see it on the evidence so far we might have lesser individuals but we have a far more effective team, it's teams that get results in football not individuals

There is no doubt that the team is stronger and more effective than last season for lots of reason

Ok so you think it's about the individuals and not the team, as I see it on the evidence so far we might have lesser individuals but we have a far more effective team, it's teams that get results in football not individuals

There is no doubt that the team is stronger and more effective than last season for lots of reason

They played as a team after the terrible start and the individual parts of that team were stronger. Not a massive amount in it but last years best eleven "playing as a team" would be this years best eleven "playing as a team".

Well you shouldn't cos it is nowhere near as simple as that. As you should know.

See post 57

See post 57
Why? It's subjective at best. A Sunderland team containing Johnson, Ki, Colback and Borini got absolutely mullered away to West Brom last season by the way. Now there's one "wrong" already improved on from last season. ;)

Why? It's subjective at best. A Sunderland team containing Johnson, Ki, Colback and Borini got absolutely mullered away to West Brom last season by the way. ;)

Absolutely, they also beat Man City and a host of others. Over 38 games i'd take last seasons best eleven. Still time in this window to tip it the other way though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back