Under-fire Sunderland boss Poyet: I stand by my tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've reluctantly come to the conclusion, I will never like how he approaches games. I want the best for my club, but he can go in the summer for me. Play with a bit tempo and look to have a go at teams around us. That's what most of us like up here, but that is the total opposite of what he wants.
Yep. Bad football and poor results should do for him, regardless of whether we scrape survival or not. No-one wants to watch this.

He'll soon go from 'under fire' to 'fired'

“And I think we had moments in the first half where we looked like we were able to maintain possession, but we were missing something in wide areas."

PLAYERS you f***ing glockenspiel
So he becomes aware of that in the first half? I'd like to know how early it dawned on him and the why he waited so long to do anything about it.

Indeed.

Or aternatively, just admitting that it wasn't and didnt work.
While it was clear it didn't work I think that it's probably not practical for him to admit his errors two times in a week, no matter how true those observations may be. A strong, solid midfield wasn't the worst idea in principle - particularly with a front two. However, with no width from the fullbacks it was an absolute mess in reality.

While it was clear it didn't work I think that it's probably not practical for him to admit his errors two times in a week, no matter how true those observations may be. A strong, solid midfield wasn't the worst idea in principle - particularly with a front two. However, with no width from the fullbacks it was an absolute mess in reality.

See it is things like this that makes me think Poyet isn't the man for us even if we bring in higher quality players. I agree with the point you made the other day about sticking with a head coach to bring in a new more modern style of football even if it has a short term negative effect on our league position but I just can't see it being Poyet

Almost everything good about the way we played last season has gone this season, we have gone backwards on the pitch. I don't even think the way he wants to play is going to be a good match for Sunderland supporters never mind the way we are actually playing

There's no way this moron can be kept at the club after this season finishes.

He's extremely fortunate that there has been a dearth of replacements available or he'd have been sacked after the QPR game.

This is one of those moments where Gus would have been best served by saying nowt

Have we got the option of taking him out of the firing line ie hoying one of his backroom staff infront of the cameras. It was good enough for Fergie whenever he couldn't be arsed or was pissed off about something.

I said this months back, he just heaps pressure on himself with these comments and the press lap it up. He needs some `guidance` on this surely, I wonder if dealing with the media is a feature of manager qualifications now? Its a huge part of the game unfortunately.

“I made a decision (to make changes) which fortunately worked,” = It was me that salvaged a point, aren't I good at tactical substitutions. I've stuck in the word 'fotunately' so I don't come across arrogant.

“I’m pleased because it wasn’t the typical decisions. = I'm git brave and creative; I don't just do obvious tactical decisions. I'm better than that.

“We tried to use the width with Patrick and Anthony. = It dawned on me that we didn't have anyone on the flanks and I hadn't considered that before the match.

“The idea was to come back in the game and the boys did that very well.” = I changed the game with my decision but I want you to think I am dead humble.

See it is things like this that makes me think Poyet isn't the man for us even if we bring in higher quality players. I agree with the point you made the other day about sticking with a head coach to bring in a new more modern style of football even if it has a short term negative effect on our league position but I just can't see it being Poyet

Almost everything good about the way we played last season has gone this season, we have gone backwards on the pitch. I don't even think the way he wants to play is going to be a good match for Sunderland supporters never mind the way we are actually playing
Oh aye it's far from sure that Poyet could do what we need. And you're right that stuff like the other night hardly paints him in a positive light. However, I'd disagree to some extent about the style of play stuff. I think there's a disconnect between what we want as NE football fans and what's best for us as a club in terms of long term progression. The 100mph stuff that usually goes over well isn't the best way forward for us. A patient, passing philosophy is better for development of young players and better for developing saleable assets (sadly, a critical part of our medium term future). It would also bring us more success in the long term IMO. That's not to say that Poyet isn't making a massive pigs ear of it ATM. However, there was a grain of truth in what he said the other week about us wanting kick and rush - even if it was horribly misguided to hold up the most successful team of the last 40 years as the example. And that style of football is certainly limiting for a club's progression in the modern PL.

Oh aye it's far from sure that Poyet could do what we need. And you're right that stuff like the other night hardly paints him in a positive light. However, I'd disagree to some extent about the style of play stuff. I think there's a disconnect between what we want as NE football fans and what's best for us as a club in terms of long term progression. The 100mph stuff that usually goes over well isn't the best way forward for us. A patient, passing philosophy is better for development of young players and better for developing saleable assets (sadly, a critical part of our medium term future). It would also bring us more success in the long term IMO. That's not to say that Poyet isn't making a massive pigs ear of it ATM. However, there was a grain of truth in what he said the other week about us wanting kick and rush - even if it was horribly misguided to hold up the most successful team of the last 40 years as the example. And that style of football is certainly limiting for a club's progression in the modern PL.

I agree with that mate but why has the tempo completely disappeared from last season? If he wants a patient passing game that is fair enough but we cannot always be patient as I doubt that will ever fit with Sunderland supporters

Look at Swansea and Southampton, both very good passing sides but they can be patient or move the ball quickly. They also can go more direct to Pelle or Gomis

Have we got no tempo because of the quality of the squad compared to how Poyet wants to play? That is probably true but continuing to play with this slow paced passing is having a negative effect on the team because we do not have the players with the needed intelligence, guile or ability to penetrate a defence that has had the time to get back in and regroup

Although recently I don't even know what 'style' Poyet is trying to play with as all we seem to do now is back it across the back then launch it as soon as we are pressed. Although we do occasionally get a wide player on the ball who is usually in the first 3rd of the pitch

any bloke off the street could have told you we needed width after the first 20 minutes. how we went 70 minutes without changing the tactics was unbelievable. then as soon as we did change it we had 2 good chances, scoring 1. just makes you wonder what the game would have been like if we started the way we finished.

He'll soon go from 'under fire' to 'fired'

“And I think we had moments in the first half where we looked like we were able to maintain possession, but we were missing something in wide areas."

PLAYERS you f***ing glockenspiel

his flaws are getting hard to ignore.
glad the excuses are drying up; we've stagnated for most of this season and were now showing signs of regression.
villa is looking like the biggest game of our season and our home form is poor
those who are unconcerned are in denial

any bloke off the street could have told you we needed width after the first 20 minutes. how we went 70 minutes without changing the tactics was unbelievable. then as soon as we did change it we had 2 good chances, scoring 1. just makes you wonder what the game would have been like if we started the way we finished.

its was sheer bloody mindedness he didn't; getting a point was good but had we stepped up earlier we could have nicked 3

If 'it worked' is him going for a draw from the start and he got one then it did, be nice to go for a win next time like....

So he becomes aware of that in the first half? I'd like to know how early it dawned on him and the why he waited so long to do anything about it.
Like ive said before
If you stand on the touchiline you can't get a proper view of the match
It was when he was in the stand he decided to switch it cause he could see where we were gan wrang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back