Under-fire Sunderland boss Poyet: I stand by my tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was there for all to see in pre-season and unfortunately it's just got worse as the seasons gone on, he sets his teams up not to lose instead of trying to win, if this keeps on happening we'll go down

Like ive said before
If you stand on the touchiline you can't get a proper view of the match
It was when he was in the stand he decided to switch it cause he could see where we were gan wrang
If he's been in the stand previously surely you would think he would have learned something by now.

A modern day wonder of the world.

Five more draws and not only will we be safe at this rate but Gus can proudly declare the campaign as one for the record books.

:lol: it's a strange one - heard it described as an 'unwanted' record, but we've had much worse. Having drawn more times than anyone else just seems a statistic to me - can't get excited or embarrassed about the prospect. More interested in "Finished 17th" or better.

:lol: it's a strange one - heard it described as an 'unwanted' record, but we've had much worse. Having drawn more times than anyone else just seems a statistic to me - can't get excited or embarrassed about the prospect. More interested in "Finished 17th" or better.

yes..a record like that is a bit like a kiss from your sister.

'missing something in the wide areas' :) - You're not kidding, Gus. I'm intrigued as to what went through his head to: A) Select that side, B) maintain it until about 70 mins even though we were behind for most of the game.

Where did he think we were going to go in possession? We had Larsson playing centrally, with 3 CM players spread across behind him; Rodwell & Cattermole operating either side of Bridcutt - no width or attacking intent there. This is acceptable, had we used the fullbacks as width, and pushed them high up. We played a RB at LB to remove any width there, and then played a 6'4 CB who runs like a camel at RB; all of this, with a fast, attacking LB and a natural winger sat on their arses next to the decimated water bottles. Staggeringly inept.

The fact he stands by his way of thinking against hull, says it all about the bloke. It was obvious to everyone before a ball was kicked, it was terrible. You wouldn't see a school teams manager set a side up like that. He says he stands by his decision, then that says it all to me. He needs to take a good look at himself and what he is doing, but poyet being poyet, he won't.

While it was clear it didn't work I think that it's probably not practical for him to admit his errors two times in a week, no matter how true those observations may be. A strong, solid midfield wasn't the worst idea in principle - particularly with a front two. However, with no width from the fullbacks it was an absolute mess in reality.

Well depends on what he thinks press conferences can help him with. If at least saying it didn't work and a few reasons why at least supporters can get a view if his mindset etc. Instead he just looks like a fool for believing it was right and worked.

I have no problem with us making sure we are tight and organised away from home. None whatsoever. A draw generally isn't a bad result away either.
But I at least expect us to have some attacking potential or direction and that starting XI never looked on paper to have any - and it showed on the pitch.

Well depends on what he thinks press conferences can help him with. If at least saying it didn't work and a few reasons why at least supporters can get a view if his mindset etc. Instead he just looks like a fool for believing it was right and worked.

I have no problem with us making sure we are tight and organised away from home. None whatsoever. A draw generally isn't a bad result away either.
But I at least expect us to have some attacking potential or direction and that starting XI never looked on paper to have any - and it showed on the pitch.
This is what is coming to the forefront more and more. We have no plan or direction to us. Changing the front 2 every game as well. They look like a bunch of strangers who have just been chucked together. That is down to the bloke picking and planning the team, no one else.

See it is things like this that makes me think Poyet isn't the man for us even if we bring in higher quality players. I agree with the point you made the other day about sticking with a head coach to bring in a new more modern style of football even if it has a short term negative effect on our league position but I just can't see it being Poyet

Almost everything good about the way we played last season has gone this season, we have gone backwards on the pitch. I don't even think the way he wants to play is going to be a good match for Sunderland supporters never mind the way we are actually playing

I think the irony is he is trying to adjust a more attacking side but failing. He probably would have more point by now if he had not been experimenting so much. It is clear that he wanted us to press higher but we just could not make it work... and I guess that is my main concern about gus he seams to struggle to finding out how or players work.

The sad thing though is the players are not very good and when we go on and play more attacking players our weak defense struggles. But against weaker teams around us I hope he tries not just to change the system but to let a few attacking players loos....

'missing something in the wide areas' :) - You're not kidding, Gus. I'm intrigued as to what went through his head to: A) Select that side, B) maintain it until about 70 mins even though we were behind for most of the game.

Where did he think we were going to go in possession? We had Larsson playing centrally, with 3 CM players spread across behind him; Rodwell & Cattermole operating either side of Bridcutt - no width or attacking intent there. This is acceptable, had we used the fullbacks as width, and pushed them high up. We played a RB at LB to remove any width there, and then played a 6'4 CB who runs like a camel at RB; all of this, with a fast, attacking LB and a natural winger sat on their arses next to the decimated water bottles. Staggeringly inept.

Think Larsson and the attackers was supposed to press really high with assistance from the mid and backs where needed but we just could not we tried a few times but the defenders... mostly virgini was way to deep and there was lots of space on the flanks... but then again Gus should know our defense is slow as helll and cant press that high up.

Last edited:
any bloke off the street could have told you we needed width after the first 20 minutes. how we went 70 minutes without changing the tactics was unbelievable. then as soon as we did change it we had 2 good chances, scoring 1. just makes you wonder what the game would have been like if we started the way we finished.
It was obvious prior to kick off never mind after 20 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back