Vergini

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still convinced if we where award a penalty including a sending off it was going to be 2-1 down game on. Also Vergini flew in from Hong Kong in Thursday night before the Saturday match in Southampton. It clearly was a match that after 3-0 and no award of a penalty with a last man sending off Sumderland packed it in...
Wrong Southampton game!

I reckon Vergini would be better playing in CDM. He's decent on the ball but heart in mouth when he tries to skin players around our box. Nearly cost us the game towards the end of the season, can't remember who it was against but forced a save from Pants. Imagine if we had gone down because of that :lol:

Got a lethal volley on the bassa an all

That position is all about reading the game. It took larsson nearly two seasons to get into it so if we do try that we must give him time. Mind he is a lot bigger than our others in there

No you clearly did not watch it.....about 33min....
@Pepe p was talking about the game at the end of the season where Vergini tried to back heel it against a Southampton player for a goal kick, not the 8-0!

:cry:

If we sign Vergini, it makes little sense, we'll have five centre backs (if Lombaerts signs), two right backs, and one right back. I guess we're seeing Billy Jones as cover at left back.

And Vergini has played RB as well. I think Vergini might be more useful as a utility-type player than anything else. That's probably not what he wants, of course, but it beats having not much role at all.

I also wonder if he'd be as bad as Bridcutt at playing midfield. He seems ok on the ball most of the time, but I think his lack of positional sense would be a huge problem, especially in a 4-3-3 as cover for Cattermole. Just food for thought.

Actually, no, he'd be shit at that too. I don't know what to do about him. He's not as bad as a lot seem to think, but he's hardly good either.

And Vergini has played RB as well. I think Vergini might be more useful as a utility-type player than anything else. That's probably not what he wants, of course, but it beats having not much role at all.

I also wonder if he'd be as bad as Bridcutt at playing midfield. He seems ok on the ball most of the time, but I think his lack of positional sense would be a huge problem, especially in a 4-3-3 as cover for Cattermole. Just food for thought.

Actually, no, he'd be shit at that too. I don't know what to do about him. He's not as bad as a lot seem to think, but he's hardly good either.
If we get Lombaerts then Vergini is pretty much surplus to requirements, unless the club is looking at Vergini as a cheap replacement for Brown (when he retires or moves on next year). But it makes little sense to have Vergini as fifth-choice centre back.

:cry:

If we sign Vergini, it makes little sense, we'll have five centre backs (if Lombaerts signs), two right backs, and one right back. I guess we're seeing Billy Jones as cover at left back.
WE HAVE NO CHOICE, HE PLAYED TWENTY GAMES AND IT TRIGGERED THE BUY OUT CLAUSE. JUST ACCEPT IT.

Chris Young ‏@YoungSunEcho 4 hrs4 hours ago

Expect Santiago Vergini to be discussing future, even if Sunderland are duty-bound to sign him permanently #safc

Chris Young ‏@YoungSunEcho 4 hrs4 hours ago

Santiago Vergini here in Sunderland training gear #safc
I reckon the agreement is, obviously, likely to be determined by him- if he doesn't want to play for us, knowing he could be fifth choice, he won't sign. We might have to pay a nominal fee but he's probably been worth that. He's frustrating but not as bad as some think so not the end of the world if he stays, provided we can shift Roberge.

I reckon the agreement is, obviously, likely to be determined by him- if he doesn't want to play for us, knowing he could be fifth choice, he won't sign. We might have to pay a nominal fee but he's probably been worth that. He's frustrating but not as bad as some think so not the end of the world if he stays, provided we can shift Roberge.
He's hardly going to turn down Premier League wages. Is he? One of our other options is to buy him off I suppose, "here Santi, take a few hundred grand and fuck off!"

That's how we got rid of Cabral and Diakite wasn't it?

Happily take Vergini as a cheap replacement for Brown. I think his proclivity for the insane means he gets some untoward stick from ours. He's one of the most/too comfortable on the ball defenders we've had in a while, and while his errors are always bordering on genius, they are mercifully few and far between. Brown and O'Shea have had as many shockers, they're just not as funny so you don't remember them.

Exiled so don't see many matches. Bit the bullet and started paying for coverage - his goal for Southampton was the first I ever paid to watch (excluding live).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back