Who is your choice ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancelotti would be a cracking choice (however unlikely), Laudrup would probably be more realistic, some of the lads have mentioned Clement, I don't know much about him but if he has coached at Real who knows? Although if Keane struggled with lesser players where would that leave Clement?

I think Allardyce as unpopular as he may be, would be almost certain to get us mid table, what do we want? It's unclear what our plan is, where do we want to go?

One thing is for sure, anyone saying there are not many choices are wrong, and it's a buyers market, Ellis has a big wad of cash for the right man, there will be a queue a mile long imo, despite of what the snipe nosed press may say when they churn out propaganda.

Dick was glowing in his assessment of our potential, and he has been about a bit, we just need to make it happen.

Surely saying Ancelotti is only 'unlikely' to come is a whoosh of epic proportions like?

Would love to see us go for someone like Frank De Boer but thats a bit of a pipe dream but maybe Dick can put in a good word.

Or a left field choice would be Thomas Schaaf from Germany, was long time coach of Werder Bremen when they had a decent side.

Honestly? Boring as fuck this but Sam Allardyce. Not a chance in hell we'd go down I reckon and I just want an uneventful, sedate, lower mid table season.

I'd agree with famous/previously successful enough as it makes it so much more difficult to plant "believable" shit in the media. The problem then becomes one of who could we attract that fits the bill?

I think we should test the assumption that Allardyce wouldn't work with a Sporting Director. If it's as we are led to believe, that the manager has final say and identifies his targets, there must be a way forward. And a shot at a bigger club than he has previously had a chance to manage with.

I don't relish the idea of long ball football but I do think he could get results and I don't think we mind a bit of direct play if it's making us competitive in matches.

I think we should test the assumption that Allardyce wouldn't work with a Sporting Director. If it's as we are led to believe, that the manager has final say and identifies his targets, there must be a way forward. And a shot at a bigger club than he has previously had a chance to manage with.

I don't relish the idea of long ball football but I do think he could get results and I don't think we mind a bit of direct play if it's making us competitive in matches.

Given our current situation I'd accept he'd be a decent choice.

Given our current situation I'd accept he'd be a decent choice.

IMHO his biggest assets for us are:

• He's got a clear idea what kind of players he wants
  • He puts a premium on fitness which is critical and an area we struggle with
  • He wouldn't buy any of the midgets and waifs we keep signing and get bullied by bottom half teams
  • He wouldn't sign a big striker who can't head a football or hold up play
  • He's tactically quite solid
  • He's experienced and doesn't give the impression he takes any shit from players.
He does come with some baggage and there's talk he may need to take a rest from football. And there's always the risk we hire another manager who's who just gone past his sell by date. But he feels like a decent fit from the comfort of a fan's armchair.

IMHO his biggest assets for us are:

• He's got a clear idea what kind of players he wants
  • He puts a premium on fitness which is critical and an area we struggle with
  • He wouldn't buy any of the midgets and waifs we keep signing and get bullied by bottom half teams
  • He wouldn't sign a big striker who can't head a football or hold up play
  • He's tactically quite solid
  • He's experienced and doesn't give the impression he takes any shit from players.
He does come with some baggage and there's talk he may need to take a rest from football. And there's always the risk we hire another manager who's who just gone past his sell by date. But he feels like a decent fit from the comfort of a fan's armchair.

Fair points and nothing I'd take exception to. I have concerns over his style of football and how he'd fit in terms of utilising/developing players from the academy. Plus hasn't he a tendency to buy ageing players, which wouldn't sit well with me in terms of a business model.

One question, would you peddle Congerton if he refused to work under a DoF?

Fair points and nothing I'd take exception to. I have concerns over his style of football and how he'd fit in terms of utilising/developing players from the academy. Plus hasn't he a tendency to buy ageing players, which wouldn't sit well with me in terms of a business model.

One question, would you peddle Congerton if he refused to work under a DoF?

IMHO no. Congerton still has a fair bit to prove - mitigating circumstances aside last summer was not a successful transfer window and we have no room or excuse for further poor transfer dealings. But even so all Premier League clubs are increasing the use of sporting directors and other non-dugout staff to make decisions and moving away from the manager doing everything. If Allardyce can't work with that in some capacity he won't get another premier league job IMHO

For example Pulis. He's head coach, not manager at West Brom but there's no question he has a particular vision of what players he needs for his style of play. He hasn't had a summer window with them yet but we might just see it's an example of a coach/manager getting what he wants out of transfers while the club has proper governance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back