Who was the last top centre midfielder to play for SAFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what you mean by top... if you mean good enough to play for a top 4 club, I don't think we had many. (Henderson when he played for us wasn't at that level). If you mean good enough to play for a team of Everton's level regularly..... maybe the likes of Schwarz would get a mention there.

Cattermole is a pretty good midfielder, the best we've had for many years. Ki was talented too.

Schwarz was very good for Arsenal, we just got him as he was nearing the end.

No mention of Steve Agnew or Gordon Armstrong?

Seriously though - Reyna, Zenden and Schwarz were all way past prime when they played for us, Hutch played on the right mainly and most of the others mentioned were no better than Cattermole imho.

No mention of Steve Agnew or Gordon Armstrong?

Seriously though - Reyna, Zenden and Schwarz were all way past prime when they played for us, Hutch played on the right mainly and most of the others mentioned were no better than Cattermole imho.

Reyna wasn't way past his prime, he was probably still at his best here for a very short spell and it coincided with a bad injury and relegation. It meant he was only good and outstanding on a few occasions (3/4 notable ones), whilst also showing his class in the 2002 World Cup. He was capable enough to play on in the top flight for another four seasons. It's never talked about but his performance in driving us on near the end of the 01/02 season against Leicester is one of the best individual performances I've seen in the top flight from a Sunderland player.

in the Prem. for me Hutchinson and Lee Clarke are the best ive seen for us.

in my time supporting SAFC Baxter and Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back