Who was the last top centre midfielder to play for SAFC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looked as though he could have gone on to be a very good central midfielder, but was never the same once he had that long lay-off with injury. Think it was his cruciate ligament?

I liked McCann.
He went down hill when the club reneged on the terms and conditions of his contract.
There was a clause that gave him a wage rise if he won an International Cap. Which he did, but the club never fulfilled their part of the agreement.
Mind he only got one. But the clause did not say more than one.

The myth that meyler was keeping him out gets used a lot on here. Cana was injured and Meyler came in and did a job. For most of the time Meyler was "keeping him out," Cana wasn't available for selection and stayed in afterwards because he was in good form while Cana was injured.
This.

Half of Meyler's appearances that season were alongside Cana. There were only 5 where Cana didn't feature at all - two where he was suspended and three where he had a groin strain. The only game where Cana was available but Meyler played ahead of him was the game at Hull where Cana was on the bench on his return from injury.

I liked McCann.
He went down hill when the club reneged on the terms and conditions of his contract.
There was a clause that gave him a wage rise if he won an International Cap. Which he did, but the club never fulfilled their part of the agreement.
Mind he only got one. But the clause did not say more than one.

The club were quite fond of reneging on prior agreements around that time.

For me;
1. Don Hutchison - top all rounder, tough and good goal scorer
2. Stefan Schwarz - great tackler, fit as even at the end of his career
3. Paul Bracewell - good passer and reader of the game
4. Lee Clark - spotty mag twat, who was a good player
5. Claudio Reyna - cool general, good distribution
6. Eric Roy - classy
7.Kevin Arnott - one of our best set piece takers ever
8. Tony Towers - square baller, but good at it

Ball and Cattermole would probably make the top 10, due to their passion, commitment and getting stuck in!

Tony, Tony Towers, England {that was the chant at the time} - great player - scored an absolute belter in 1-0 win at Blackburn and Sports Echo headline Tower's Big Dipper wins it:lol:

For me;
1. Don Hutchison - top all rounder, tough and good goal scorer
2. Stefan Schwarz - great tackler, fit as even at the end of his career
3. Paul Bracewell - good passer and reader of the game
4. Lee Clark - spotty mag twat, who was a good player
5. Claudio Reyna - cool general, good distribution
6. Eric Roy - classy
7.Kevin Arnott - one of our best set piece takers ever
8. Tony Towers - square baller, but good at it

Ball and Cattermole would probably make the top 10, due to their passion, commitment and getting stuck in!

Agree with that up to point 6. 7 & 8 were before my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back