Wijnaldum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of our signings in the last year have came out of the blue with no mention of them until we've had a bid accepted.
For this reason i am not panicking yet. But I really hope we sign Wijnaldum and Newcastle don't

Whereas, in fact, I have seen no evidence of anything other than more of the same old same old, of operating at the bargain basement end of the market, while players who could really effect major change in the clubs results and performances go to our competitors, albeit for fees that reflect the higher standards of their abilities. I think that this parsimony will eventually prove to be a false economy

I've already tried to explain this to you, and you didn't seem to grasp it in the Coates thread.

We need more than 5 signings this summer to have a sensible size of squad. So we've so far bought players to be squad players, and got them in cheaply. Naturally, they would be the ones completed first because there is less competition for the signatures, and less money involved in the deal as a whole. The quality, if it does come, would logically be signed later anyway.

While we're at it, who are the 'players who could really effect major change' who've gone to our competitors? Because I can't think of any.

Why not? When the likes of Southampton, Swansea and Stoke splashing the cash on big names, which are then improving them massively. Why can't we compete with this ilk?
I don't know how much FFP restricts us but I assume Southampton, Swansea and Stoke are in a better financial position than ourselves, the club is in alot of debt. It's all on whether Short wants to write off more money. The Alverez situation is taking up around £8M if we end up signing him so the quicker that is resolved the better. The truth is none of us know on here, we can only speculate.

I don't know how much FFP restricts us but I assume Southampton, Swansea and Stoke are in a better financial position than ourselves, the club is in alot of debt. It's all on whether Short wants to write off more money. The Alverez situation is taking up around £8M if we end up signing him so the quicker that is resolved the better. The truth is none of us know on here, we can only speculate.
The incoming TV money next year if we stay in the division is massive. Might help open the wallet.

Actually, I think that you will find that I am, traditionally a very positive, pro-club (almost Happy Clapper) type of poster.

However, I was genuinely hopeful that Advocaat's return, predicated on his assessment of 5-6 top quality players being required, would have seen a step change in the standard of in-coming players.

Whereas, in fact, I have seen no evidence of anything other than more of the same old same old, of operating at the bargain basement end of the market, while players who could really effect major change in the clubs results and performances go to our competitors, albeit for fees that reflect the higher standards of their abilities. I think that this parsimony will eventually prove to be a false economy
It's the 6th of July.

Its the beginning of July, the time to start twisting about quality of players in is at the end of the window. As for evidence what do you want? Newspaper stories linking us with good players?
the lack of perspective and willingness to fill dudds is a bit laughable from some.
be patient... dick wont stick around if gaurentees not being honoured and the impression given is that ellis wants to keep him here and happy

Actually, I think that you will find that I am, traditionally a very positive, pro-club (almost Happy Clapper) type of poster.

However, I was genuinely hopeful that Advocaat's return, predicated on his assessment of 5-6 top quality players being required, would have seen a step change in the standard of in-coming players.

It's 6th July you massive fanny

My mag mate reckons they're signing him and Austin this week.

My mate is a knacker mind.
They would be two good signings for the Mags but they are in a similar position to us, They need quality AND numbers. If they only signed these two and Austin got injured, They would be ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back