Wijnaldum

Status
Not open for further replies.

For the First paragraph - Our squad, currently, is too large, I agree. Yet without bringing in Coates and Matthews, we would have had 4 defenders. 2 of whom struggle with injuries. Defensive cover had to be signed, and it has been. The size of the squad and players we have yet to offload don't really come into the question in this area.

Moving onto the second point, which way you or I think we should do it has no impact. In reality, when it comes to buying in the 'quality' players, the very fact a player is in demand will add time to the transfer. His current club will try and get the highest fee possible and his agent will be touting him to other prospective buyers, hoping to make more money. And lets face it, if we see a player as a definite improvement to the squad, chances are He'll want to wait and see if his agent can get him something better. That means we can either pay well over the odds (a bad move) or wait, and hope no better interest appears.

And as for that list of players, the only ones we would have had a chance with are Richards, Ayew and Mings. Richards has a terrible injury record, large wages, and his ability is questionable after such little playing time in the last few years. With Ayew, Swansea are a better proposition than us, like it or not. Mings is a huge gamble, 8m on a player untested in the PL. As for listing 'prospective deals,' remember that last year Cavani to Sunderland was a 'prospective deal' for some newspapers.

You will get no argument from me that SAFC needed an immediate and medium-term major defensive overhaul and restructuring. I don't think the club should have offered Brown a contract and it should consider the seemingly fragile Billy Jones as the 'back-up' rather than the first choice. The club should have also been looking to put in place a medium term replacement for O'Shea. But the watchwords for all the replacements and the necessary additions should have been high quality and medium-long term potential. For me, Coates and Matthews don't seem to get over the first hurdle.

We are merely fans. We have an interest but no influence and certainly no impact. The reality is that a club with an existing poor image and reputation, such as SAFC, needs to accept that, until the image and reputation is repaired and improved, through performances and results that are achieved with higher quality players, it will need to overpay, both in fees and wages, to secure the services of those higher quality players in the first place. This would encourage clubs and players to decide quickly or risk losing the opportunity. This is the consequence of poor decisions taken by the club previously, not least of which being the deliberate pursuit of a generally parsimonious, 'on-the-cheap' scatter-gun approach to transfers.

Such consequences come at a cost and that bill will need to be paid. It could be paid through the aforementioned overpaying of fees and wages, or it could be paid for through the financial losses incurred as a result of the eventual and predictable (possibly even inevitable) relegation from the 'cash-cow' that is the Premier League, because of a reliance on players who do not have a reliable level of quality.

You will get no argument from me that SAFC needed an immediate and medium-term major defensive overhaul and restructuring. I don't think the club should have offered Brown a contract and it should consider the seemingly fragile Billy Jones as the 'back-up' rather than the first choice. The club should have also been looking to put in place a medium term replacement for O'Shea. But the watchwords for all the replacements and the necessary additions should have been high quality and medium-long term potential. For me, Coates and Matthews don't seem to get over the first hurdle.

We are merely fans. We have an interest but no influence and certainly no impact. The reality is that a club with an existing poor image and reputation, such as SAFC, needs to accept that, until the image and reputation is repaired and improved, through performances and results that are achieved with higher quality players, it will need to overpay, both in fees and wages, to secure the services of those higher quality players in the first place. This would encourage clubs and players to decide quickly or risk losing the opportunity. This is the consequence of poor decisions taken by the club previously, not least of which being the deliberate pursuit of a generally parsimonious, 'on-the-cheap' scatter-gun approach to transfers.

Such consequences come at a cost and that bill will need to be paid. It could be paid through the aforementioned overpaying of fees and wages, or it could be paid for through the financial losses incurred as a result of the eventual and predictable (possibly even inevitable) relegation from the 'cash-cow' that is the Premier League, because of a reliance on players who do not have a reliable level of quality.
I think we should sign a right back, its a must.

You've put 2+2 together and come up with 5.

Also, the worrying on a thread which has turned into Newcastle possibly signing a player is ridiculous. Advocaat is quoted as saying he had a very positive meeting with ES and that he is being backed in order to get his targets in.
In full agreement with the first part of your thread. Ridiculous to even care about who Newcastle do/do not sign as this will not affect our team in terms of quality or entertainment value.
However, I am totally neutral/nonplussed by the fact DA and ES have met and discussed transfer budget - of course they have. Of course ES has agreed we need to improve the squad. The last two years have confirmed just how shite things have become in regards to the playing staff.
I will not be impressed by any positive-speak sound bytes, only by actual signings - and I for one am happy with Coates and Matthews. I am even happy with re-singing Brown as experienced backup, as long as we sign another good quality CB.
It is good that we are being cautious about not overspending unneccessarily and believe we will get the quality signings that will improve the squad. I don't mind us being still linked with Wijnaldum though I doubt we will get him.

So you're basically annoyed because we haven't sold anyone yet, which therefore means we can't possibly sign six more players?

Of the others you mention, the Holtby to HSV deal was pre-agreed, Podolski isn't worth the ludicrous wages he's on, Ings wanted European football, Richards is barely better than Coates, more injury prone and more expensive, and would you honestly have wanted us to sign an £8m left back who's barely any better than PVA? Really?

Regarding Wijnaldum, we've been linked to his fellow Dutch internationals Van Dijk and Clasie, plus Van Ginkel. So don't say we haven't had our share of "prospective deals".

I'll give you Ayew, it would have been a class signing, but even if we had the cash to burn on his wages he'd almost certainly have gone to Swansea anyway.

Firstly, being 'linked' with good players does not result in any of them making a tackle, making a pass or scoring a goal for the club. Actually signing them hopefully does. Being linked is not the same as 'prospective deals' and certainly not actual deals

My concern (rather than annoyance), stems from the bang average players (Coates and Matthews) rapidly becoming 'real deals', whereas the Wijnaldums, Van Dijks Clasies and Van Ginkels always seem to remain as prospective deals, until we 'step aside' and allow them to move elsewhere. I really hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. I suspect that you don't think I'll be wrong either.

Firstly, being 'linked' with good players does not result in any of them making a tackle, making a pass or scoring a goal for the club. Actually signing them hopefully does. Being linked is not the same as 'prospective deals' and certainly not actual deals

My concern (rather than annoyance), stems from the bang average players (Coates and Matthews) rapidly becoming 'real deals', whereas the Wijnaldums, Van Dijks Clasies and Van Ginkels always seem to remain as prospective deals, until we 'step aside' and allow them to move elsewhere. I really hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. I suspect that you don't think I'll be wrong either.
What evidence do you require to see they're trying to sign players?

you're full-spectrum autistic, aren't you?

Current thinking is that every person occupies a spot on the autistic spectrum. However, I suspect that you are trying to use the disability as an insult. More shame on you, really. To be clear, I have no social deficits, communication difficulties or cognitive delays, which normally lead to the diagnosis of the condition.

If I were inclined to exchange personal insults with a keyboard warrior such as yourself, I might suggest that you are a full-spectrum arsehole, without the intellectual capacity to engage in reasoned debate with people who hold a different viewpoint to your own, preferring to try and bully people and be the class joker. However, I'm not, so I won't

I think we should sign a right back, its a must.
??? We have just signed a right-back, a player that played a full season for Celtic and has played a dozen times for his country. The Premier League is a step up but he hasn't come to join the development squad, he is here as competition for Billy Jones who finished the season as one of our best defenders. I think a right back is the least of our worries.

It seems Lombaerts is on his way so he will be fighting it out with Coates, O'Shea and Brown for the centre half positions and PVA will be first choice LB. Unless we can shift Verging then I would be amazed if we bring in anymore defenders should we get the Belgian.

It's just a case of value for money. It really is that simple. We don't believe the asking price represents suitable value. If another club does, fair enough.

I hear you Prehab and appreciate your knowledge and info (keep it up), however there comes a time when if you really want something or someone badly, you have to weigh up if that extra 20% spend will be worth it.

Hypothetically, if we have made a first offer in excess of £11m (16m Euro) for a player we really liked, but the current owners were demanding £15m (20/21m Euro), then in my opinion, and the way the market is today, you have to go for it, if it guarantees getting him.

PSV and GW are surely waiting to see what other offers come in, if any, and this could also be being held up by the Schneiderling deal too, as I'm sure Koeman is interested too, although Clasie is probably a more suitable replacement for them being more defensive.

I just hope Dick and Congerton get it right. Villa are hanging in there for £32.5m for Benteke, and they'll get it! Same with the fees for Sterling, De Gea etc.

No. Just know that out initial advances and money Put forward was well under what they want and think they can get. We moved on. It's not penny pinching or being tight. Just value for money. Something that all clubs, especially ours need to get.
That went well in previous seasons. :) I just hope we don't go on the "forget Bony, we can get Jozy and Giaccherini with that money" route again. Maybe we'll get lucky this summer.

What evidence do you require to see they're trying to sign players?

I'd like to see a picture of a Wijnaldum, a Van Dijk, a Clasie, a Lens or a Van Ginkel, or a similar standard of player wearing the shirt and holding a scarf aloft, alongside Advocaat, perhaps with the majestic trees of the AOL in the background. What evidence do you require ?

Current thinking is that every person occupies a spot on the autistic spectrum. However, I suspect that you are trying to use the disability as an insult. More shame on you, really. To be clear, I have no social deficits, communication difficulties or cognitive delays, which normally lead to the diagnosis of the condition.

If I were inclined to exchange personal insults with a keyboard warrior such as yourself, I might suggest that you are a full-spectrum arsehole, without the intellectual capacity to engage in reasoned debate with people who hold a different viewpoint to your own, preferring to try and bully people and be the class joker. However, I'm not, so I won't
wrong again, it was a genuine question. anyone who continues to repeat the same tired, baseless opinion as some sort of genuine insight obviously has a deeper issue than exchanging mere messageboard 'banter'. obviously you'll respond to this post with yet another fatuous tirade of supposed 'fact' so i shall offer some practical advice - don't bother - i won't be reading it.

??? We have just signed a right-back, a player that played a full season for Celtic and has played a dozen times for his country. The Premier League is a step up but he hasn't come to join the development squad, he is here as competition for Billy Jones who finished the season as one of our best defenders. I think a right back is the least of our worries.

It seems Lombaerts is on his way so he will be fighting it out with Coates, O'Shea and Brown for the centre half positions and PVA will be first choice LB. Unless we can shift Verging then I would be amazed if we bring in anymore defenders should we get the Belgian.
rocky was being facetious trav. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back