2014 Cycling thread - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pointed that out in my response to the online copy of the article (under the name Tord Hungus)

"What a vile group of people they are.

Each house has a garage and a driveway giving parking space for 2 cars (and many also park across the gaps in the verge) and yet they are still complaining about a scheme that could save young peoples' lives in case a "tradesman" needs to park...? Pathetic.

Perhaps they should get out on a bike and find out what the reality of sharing the road with cars/buses/trucks is like before they pass judgment.

I cannot believe that a complaint is "the path will go in front of houses, across driveways" - do they not realise that cyclists are currently passing their houses and driveways? The difference is, a cycle path would allow them to with greater security.

The article states that hundreds of residents are critical about this. How come there are only nine people and a couple of kids dragged along in the photo? I suspect that the reality is a few stay-at-home curtain twitchers with nothing better to do are trying to cause a fuss. Hopefully, the majority of residents along that route as well as the local council will have a more sensible approach to town planning that meets the changing needs of the 21st century."
I felt a bit pissed off by them...

But, but, but, road tax... I like being stuck in traffic jams... Can't buy a bike because I don't know which one is equivalent to the BMW as a status symbol that marks me out as a bellend... Etc

Or maybe it was 50m - I forget :)

Anyway, interestingly Merckx was riding on 52x14 which at 97.7" is a smaller gear than Jens's but even with his slower average speed he would have been using a higher average cadence of 106.

Friday facts!

I love that bike.
Chris Boardman's "Athlete's Hour" bike is up on the wall at Manchester Velodrome. It's nice too but Merckx's was better - looks nearly as cool as my own fixie.
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

Anyway, interestingly Merckx was riding on 52x14 which at 97.7" is a smaller gear than Jens's but even with his slower average speed he would have been using a higher average cadence of 106.

Friday facts!

Chris Boardman's "Athlete's Hour" bike is up on the wall at Manchester Velodrome. It's nice too but Merckx's was better - looks nearly as cool as my own fixie.
the difference in bikes between the 70's to 2000 then 2000 to 2014 is amazing :)

hoy up a photo of your fixie....

Friday facts!

weird but watching some of Jens' ride the cadence didn't look anywhere near that...
Wonder how much a proper lid would have saved( he might have melted mind)
Also looked like the skinsuit had "in built" gloves, though could just be my eyes ?

I followed a fixie across London bridge and along tooley st. the only way he was braking was skidding the back wheel. I dread to think how many tyres he goes throuugh
Nah, not a hipster fixie, I'd still have brake or two on there.

Just read Eileen Sheridan's autobiography (Wonder Wheels). Absolutely in awe. She rode LEJOG with a bottom gear of 73 inches :eek:

how many spokes are on that bugger ?

BTW room needs a re plaster lol
36 each. It's intended as a bombproof all year round ride anywhere bike. I built the back wheel myself but the front one is the original one that came with the frame - it's a bit knackered now so I'm just about to build a new one to match the rear - not sure whether to use 32 or 36 - what do you think?

Room is work in progress
I followed a fixie across London bridge and along tooley st. the only way he was braking was skidding the back wheel. I dread to think how many tyres he goes throuugh
I have an app that calculates the number of skid patches you will get for any gearing combination :) Anyone who rides without brakes on the road is an arse. I find that with fixed gear you hardly ever need to use the brakes - it's not unusual to ride for a couple of hours without touching them, but when you do need them you are f***ing glad to have them. Doing a bunny-hop and skidding the back wheel at 30mph downhill when a car pulls out on you isn't going to cut it really.

Nice.

Current n+1 bike (after a dedicated commuter) is a Condor Tempo. Fixed gear scares me though.
Nowt to be scared about - actually it feels really secure once you get used to it. I think you need one.

Nah, not a hipster fixie, I'd still have brake or two on there.

Just read Eileen Sheridan's autobiography (Wonder Wheels). Absolutely in awe. She rode LEJOG with a bottom gear of 73 inches :eek:

Shouldn't be a problem - I usually use 86" or 80" fixed depending on how undulating the terrain is. I prefer the 86. When I first built it I was using a 71" but found that too low. You should be able to get up anything but steep hills on a 73 I would think - it's character building

Last edited:
36 each. It's intended as a bombproof all year round ride anywhere bike. I built the back wheel myself but the front one is the original one that came with the frame - it's a bit knackered now so I'm just about to build a new one to match the rear - not sure whether to use 32 or 36 - what do you think?

Room is work in progress

I have an app that calculates the number of skid patches you will get for any gearing combination :) Anyone who rides without brakes on the road is an arse. I find that with fixed gear you hardly ever need to use the brakes - it's not unusual to ride for a couple of hours without touching them, but when you do need them you are f***ing glad to have them. Doing a bunny-hop and skidding the back wheel at 30mph downhill when a car pulls out on you isn't going to cut it really.

Nowt to be scared about - actually it feels really secure once you get used to it. I think you need one.

Shouldn't be a problem - I usually use 86" or 80" fixed depending on how undulating the terrain is. I prefer the 86. When I first built it I was using a 71" but found that too low. You should be able to get up anything but steep hills on a 73 I would think - it's character building

Depends if you're carrying any excess timber... probably go for the 36 regardless.
See Bob Tobin ( Botterills coach) is adamant he'd have done 52.8K in the hour !!

Easy to say that of course, but his predictions on Botty's times have been within a second or two of his actual results.

If that's the case imagine what Wiggo/Martin/Dowsett/Spartacus would do ?
Not trying to take owt away from Jens mind

Just been out for a nice ride in the sun with mrs. R. Wild life encountered = 4 seals in the Wear between that place with all the cranes and SOL.Nice to see that.Also had a too close encounter with a Bee or a Wasp.Got stung just below my nads.I'm quessing it was a wasp.

Also sometimes see seals in the Tyne.

Just been out for a nice ride in the sun with mrs. R. Wild life encountered = 4 seals in the Wear between that place with all the cranes and SOL.Nice to see that.Also had a too close encounter with a Bee or a Wasp.Got stung just below my nads.I'm quessing it was a wasp.

Also sometimes see seals in the Tyne.

I'm just sitting here trying to understand which bit of your anatomy is below your nads!?!?

A couple of years ago I got a wasp trapped behind my glasses & before I could rip them off the little fucker had stung me on my eyelid. I was on the front of a tandem at the time anarl, but managed to stay upright. The next day I had to travel to Belfast with the eye closed & the whole side of my face balooned out. That night I walked into a pub in Belfast & there was a bit of a silence - I suppose it must have looked like I'd just had a punishment beating :)

I'm just sitting here trying to understand which bit of your anatomy is below your nads!?!?

A couple of years ago I got a wasp trapped behind my glasses & before I could rip them off the little fucker had stung me on my eyelid. I was on the front of a tandem at the time anarl, but managed to stay upright. The next day I had to travel to Belfast with the eye closed & the whole side of my face balooned out. That night I walked into a pub in Belfast & there was a bit of a silence - I suppose it must have looked like I'd just had a punishment beating :)
Sounds nasty.Just about the last place i'd want to be stung.

The little bastard must have settled on my top tube,and when my inner thigh touched tube,it must have thought it was being attacked.I did'nt even see it.I'm guessing a wasp.Can still feel it now,but pain has gone.

I had a wasp trapped in my motorbike helmet once when I lifted the visor. not a pleasant experience.

Spent a couple of days at the weekend in the Peak District, doing some beautiful climbs. Winnats Pass, Peasbodys, Monsal Head and in particular Riber Castle were all tough but fantastic. The climb up to Riber Castle is definitely one to seek out if you're ever down Matlock way - probably the nicest, most challenging climb I've done in England (it's Simon Warren's favourite too from his 100 Great British Cycling Climbs book).

Spent a couple of days at the weekend in the Peak District, doing some beautiful climbs. Winnats Pass, Peasbodys, Monsal Head and in particular Riber Castle were all tough but fantastic. The climb up to Riber Castle is definitely one to seek out if you're ever down Matlock way - probably the nicest, most challenging climb I've done in England (it's Simon Warren's favourite too from his 100 Great British Cycling Climbs book).
You had fantastic weather for it - wish I could have been out there too. Due to intense work situation I have spent the last month getting myself really unfit - hardly had any time on the bike at all :-(
I love Winnatts Pass. Just the right side of stupid. The bit where half way up it just gets steeper & keeps on going like that :0
Never heard of Peasbodys - do you mean Peaslows? One of the local clubs does a hill climb up that. I never bother entering.

sounds like you've certainly got your climbing legs at the minute...all sounds class

I got a loan of my bosses cycleops super magneto pro to give use give turbo training a try over the winter. My god is it loud when doing intervals, literally sounds like a jet engine about to take off. It's fine when doing below 20mph but any higher and it gets exponentially louder. Has anyone had first had experience with one in comparison to other (specifically fluid) trainers to whether there is quieter out there?

Started doing sufferfest a very dark place this afternoon and nearly collapsed after about 20mins. Has anyone used sufferfest, which are the best ones for getting started?

You had fantastic weather for it - wish I could have been out there too. Due to intense work situation I have spent the last month getting myself really unfit - hardly had any time on the bike at all :-(
I love Winnatts Pass. Just the right side of stupid. The bit where half way up it just gets steeper & keeps on going like that :0
Never heard of Peasbodys - do you mean Peaslows? One of the local clubs does a hill climb up that. I never bother entering.

Yep, Peaslows not Peasbodys :oops::oops:. That's only a 3/10 in Simon Warren's book but just goes on and on at a steady gradient of @ 11%. You're right, Winnats is just so spectacular and dramatic. Have you done the climb to Riber? Strongly recommended but maybe get your legs back first as there are 5 hairpins with a constant gradient of between 20-25%. :eek:

sounds like you've certainly got your climbing legs at the minute...all sounds class

Not sure about that - I thought I was going to die up Riber!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back