2014 Cycling thread - part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a couple of days at the weekend in the Peak District, doing some beautiful climbs. Winnats Pass, Peasbodys, Monsal Head and in particular Riber Castle were all tough but fantastic. The climb up to Riber Castle is definitely one to seek out if you're ever down Matlock way - probably the nicest, most challenging climb I've done in England (it's Simon Warren's favourite too from his 100 Great British Cycling Climbs book).
IO finally got the buttertubs this weekend. We were away at Garstng for the weekend and got dropped off at J37 on the M6 to come home Thoroughly enjoyed despite the hangover and the wind blowing the wrong way.
Don't look at too many of the segments I wasn't very quick :(

Next years audax events are starting to pop up, entered a couple this morning -

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-76/

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-132/

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-193/

Hopefully get into PBP even though I didn't pre-qualify, but if not then I still want a Super Randonneur series (And badge to stitch on my saddlebag...).

I may look to do a few long Audaxes (up to 300kms) but decided against PBP, mainly on the basis that I think I would find it a bit dull. The Vaterrnrunden and the 200 mile ride I did in June were good rides but 9-12 hours of being in a group and either looking at the arse of the bloke in front or working your bollocks off at the front, begins to have limited appeal.

I'm planning to to the Ardechoise in June in France (following an ultra marathon in May in South Africa) and then the Marmotte in the Alps in July, so Audax may just be training rides next year.

I shall therefore be shaving off my beard and removing mudguards and oversized Brooks saddle bag. Does anyone want to buy some second-hand sandals???:oops::oops:;)

raced a rapha wanker home yesterday. what a nob he was.

What was Flav doing in SE London? ;);)

I may look to do a few long Audaxes (up to 300kms) but decided against PBP, mainly on the basis that I think I would find it a bit dull. The Vaterrnrunden and the 200 mile ride I did in June were good rides but 9-12 hours of being in a group and either looking at the arse of the bloke in front or working your bollocks off at the front, begins to have limited appeal.

I'm planning to to the Ardechoise in June in France (following an ultra marathon in May in South Africa) and then the Marmotte in the Alps in July, so Audax may just be training rides next year.

I shall therefore be shaving off my beard and removing mudguards and oversized Brooks saddle bag. Does anyone want to buy some second-hand sandals???:oops::oops:;)

are entries open for that?

stay at the hotel oberland if you can. Christian the owner is absolutely brilliant and the whole hotel is set up for cycling.

What was Flav doing in SE London? ;);)

pedalling slowly ;)

TBH, PBP might not happen - It's going to be well tricky balancing work, school and doing the required cycling, but I'd like to have a crack at least.

Winterising the Croix de Fer tomorrow - mudguards, 28c (Or even possibly 30c) tyres and permanent light fittings.

are entries open for that?

stay at the hotel oberland if you can. Christian the owner is absolutely brilliant and the whole hotel is set up for cycling.

Not yet. I think entries open in late Oct/early Nov (my mate is on the case hopefully). You need to be be quick off the mark to get in as it sells out v quickly.

Where is the Oberland? We always stay at a hotel in Alpe d'Huez. Can't remember it's name but it's just on the corner where the Sunday morning Grimpee goes up towards the finishing straight.

Not yet. I think entries open in late Oct/early Nov (my mate is on the case hopefully). You need to be be quick off the mark to get in as it sells out v quickly.

Where is the Oberland? We always stay at a hotel in Alpe d'Huez. Can't remember it's name but it's just on the corner where the Sunday morning Grimpee goes up towards the finishing straight.

it's in bourg d'oisans. basically at the bottom of the road up to d'huez. my mate stayed in alpe d'huez last year and said riding down to the start was brutal. too cold early morning.

TBH, PBP might not happen - It's going to be well tricky balancing work, school and doing the required cycling, but I'd like to have a crack at least.

Winterising the Croix de Fer tomorrow - mudguards, 28c (Or even possibly 30c) tyres and permanent light fittings.

Yea, I'm thinking that my good bike will be shoved on the turbo and my Croix de Fer brought back into action fairly soon. Got a week in Spain, the week after next and then it'll be winter, I reckon. :cry::cry:

it's in bourg d'oisans. basically at the bottom of the road up to d'huez. my mate stayed in alpe d'huez last year and said riding down to the start was brutal. too cold early morning.

It is f'ing cold riding down in the morning. Riding down in 1-2 degrees and then riding up, 10 hours later in 40 degrees is a bit weird!! :eek:

Swings and roundabouts, as the ability to get straight into the hotel at the finish is just about worth the freezing descent in the morning. The key thing is we park a car in Bourg d'Oisan so that we can dump arm warmers/jackets etc before the Marmotte starts.

Last edited:
It is f'ing cold riding down in the morning. Riding down in 1-2 degrees and then riding up, 10 hours later in 40 degrees is a bit weird!! :eek:

Swings and roundabouts, as the ability to get straight into the hotel at the finish is just about worth the freezing descent in the morning. The key thing is we park a car in Bourg d'Oisan so that we can dump arm warmers/jackets etc before the Marmotte starts.

not just a hat stand is it mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back