3-5-2 with Giaccherini on the wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me we need Catts or Bridcutt sitting, with Larsson then one of Johnson, Giaccherini or Alvarez as the one given the freedom to bomb on.

I can see the merits of playing Giaccherini as a wing back but I would be very hesitant to do that right now until we build more confidence in the 3-5-2 formation. Jones and Van Aanholt as the wing backs for now. I really rate Reviellere but at 35 I doubt he would have the engine to play as a wing back so this formation may mean the end for him in terms of starting regularly once he is fit again.

Why do we have to play 3 at the back..?
It's pretty shit.
How is it shit? Because we didn't instantly start looking like Barcelona with it?

It's to try to allow us to play 2 up front without sacrificing the 3 in CM, makes sense and worth persevering with for at least the next 2 games I'd say.

Would rather have Van Aanholt, for the pace.

Not convinced by the 3-5-2, if it doesn't look better against Burnley and then Fulham then we should move on

Aye.....drop into the bottom three, exit the cup with a match against Bradford for the last eight as the reward then drop the system......I'd rather Gus realise it's not JUST about numbers and formations and that his players don't look as if they're enjoying their football under him......then do something about it before these two crucial games.

Giacherrini is pure shit

He should be no where near the team

Also he had players like chiellini, barzagli, bonucci and de rossi behind him for italy

at least if we played giaccherini and van aarnholt as wingbacks it would actually be a 3-5-2 rather than 5-3-2

i like the idea of playing gomez there as well, if we can get away with playing 12 men we could stand a chance.
How does that work then? If pva isnt playing as a wingback now, why would he with giacc?

If we are going to persist with 3-5-2 I would pull Larsson out of the middle and use him as a wing back. Jones is ok but he's only fit for 3 hours a month. For me though I would go with 4-2-3-1 Defoe up top with Johnson then 2 from Alvarez/giacherrini and Wickham as the 3. He wont do that though he ll play Johnson and then winge like fuck we aren't creative enough whilst playing every f***ing defensive midfielder at the club

It's all too bloody complicated for me. Id just like to see AJ, Giac, Alvarez and Defoe all on the pitch together. There's you threat, now build the rest of the team around that!!

How is it shit? Because we didn't instantly start looking like Barcelona with it?

It's to try to allow us to play 2 up front without sacrificing the 3 in CM, makes sense and worth persevering with for at least the next 2 games I'd say.

Why do you need 3 central midfielders and don't say we'll leave ourselves wide open as that is what wingbacks do...?
It's hard getting up and down the pitch to try to play a system, Barca can play it as most teams are shit scared of their attack, no one will be with ours.

Signing Defoe may be a downfall, hope not.

Giaccherini used to play on this position with Italy. (Before he joined us :) )
Imo that would increase our attacking threat alot in our side.

Cattermole would take Bridcutts place when he is fit ofc. Maybe even play Gomez there aswell..

----------------Pantilimon-----------------
------- Vergini -- JOS -- Brown ----------
Reveillere--------------------Giaccherini
--------- Bridcutt ------ Larsson ----------
----------------- Johnson ------------------
---------- Defoe -------- Fletcher----------

Could work for the better maybe?

Giaccherini in italy formation:
https://www.google.se/search?q=3-5-2 italy&biw=1680&bih=934&tbm=isch&imgil=0nxT1udjPC1b5M%3A%3B1zQRxNiqcrxt5M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmaradonasrightfoot.blogspot.com%252F2012%252F07%252Fbe-brave-and-prosper.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=0nxT1udjPC1b5M%3A%2C1zQRxNiqcrxt5M%2C_&usg=__lQCpP-yUycw66yxz9HIOEnpTNWk=&ved=0CC0Qyjc&ei=UvnJVJ7pEeffywOK5IKoAw#imgdii=_&imgrc=0nxT1udjPC1b5M%3A;1zQRxNiqcrxt5M;http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F-oqFA0FqKEpQ%2FT_IhvHN-EwI%2FAAAAAAAAAFM%2F7prgXvAarmo%2Fs1600%2Fitaly%2B3-5-2.png;http%3A%2F%2Fmaradonasrightfoot.blogspot.com%2F2012%2F07%2Fbe-brave-and-prosper.html;671;1020
I agree.

Particularly if we can play Pirlo as regista in front of Vergini, O'Shea and Brown.

It's all too bloody complicated for me. Id just like to see AJ, Giac, Alvarez and Defoe all on the pitch together. There's you threat, now build the rest of the team around that!!
This.

Wouldn't work at all. Waste of a position if we did that

Daniel Alves can't defend but has been one of the best wing backs in the world.
Dani Alvez can run, and he plays in an ultra attacking team who virtually abandon all concept of defence.

I cannot believe the suggestion that in the fast paced PL, in the wingback positions - the most physically demanding role you can have on the pitch, and we are going to play a 30 year old , right footer who can't run or defend on the left, and a 35 year old who has barely played in a year on the right. Added to that, there was an additional 'strike' of possibly selecting Gomez in the middle! Forgive my sarcasm lads, but fuck me that would the slowest team that has ever entered a field of play. I could orbit the Sun on a bicycle before they'd get from end to end.

Last edited:
Why do you need 3 central midfielders and don't say we'll leave ourselves wide open as that is what wingbacks do...?
It's hard getting up and down the pitch to try to play a system, Barca can play it as most teams are shit scared of their attack, no one will be with ours.

Signing Defoe may be a downfall, hope not.

I was talking about this to a mate after the Fulham game, if we try to bend over backwards to find a system to suit him and then either we don't make it work or he fails to deliver then I could see this becoming an issue. I'm not saying we're a one man team and we'll only stay up or go down because of Defoe, but we could be putting a lot of eggs in one semi-experimental basket.

Giacherrini is pure shit

He should be no where near the team

Also he had players like chiellini, barzagli, bonucci and de rossi behind him for italy

How does that work then? If pva isnt playing as a wingback now, why would he with giacc?

unbelievable ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back