A massive thank you from Doncaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Felt sorry for the Doncaster fans last night. To me, their ground seems to be another generic soulless new build put in the middle of nowhere with a brewster bear's or whatever that family pub was as the only viable close by drinking location.

We take for granted just how good we have it up here.

The worst one I've experienced is Brighton. It's a train journey or 20 min car drive in any direction from civilisation.

I thought it looked like Harrogate compared to the soulless land around Stoke's ground.

Whilst the staff were ok, Ive never encountered slower service than The Lakeside pub. The beer pumps seemed to operate at snails pace

I thought it looked like Harrogate compared to the soulless land around Stoke's ground.

Whilst the staff were ok, Ive never encountered slower service than The Lakeside pub. The beer pumps seemed to operate at snails pace

The beer in the ground was f***ing rank as well

Yeah stoke's is in an awful location

I've never been in it, but heard some poor things and I work/ed in and out of the call centre opposite.

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to all the fans who made the trip to Doncaster tonight! It was fantastic support from the Sunderland fans and was great to see so many fans.

Also a personal thank you from myself to all the people who came to say hello and for a chat it was a pleasure to meet you all!

If anyone has any feedback on your trip to the Keepmoat then please get in touch.

Again thank you to all who travelled and I hope you had a safe journey home.

Kind regards
Deano

Canny little ground and a lot better than Belle Vue which I visited a few times when I lived in Hyde Park in 1985.

The refreshment bit at half time was a bit chaotic and took an age. They had run out of cheese and oniom pies for me and my vegetrarian mate and dont think people realised you could only get draught beer at the counter on the right. Someone in front of us in the queue said "we will miss the 2nd half kick off" to which I added "at Leicester". It really felt that slow. ( your jacket would be quite apt given how slowly the queue inched forward )
I thought the staff were on loan from The Lakeside pub but I think like there , there were just too few staff for the number of fans.
Otherwise decent trip.

I've never been in it, but heard some poor things and I work/ed in and out of the call centre opposite.
Typical family diner pub where food comes first and the bar is geared up to serve the odd person at the bar.

Last edited:
Typical family diner pub where food comes first and the bar is geared up to serve the odd person at the bar.

Pretty much as I'd expect tbh. There's more and more of those popping up - god send at times when you have kids like, but not for a good session.

Pretty much as I'd expect tbh. There's more and more of those popping up - god send at times when you have kids like, but not for a good session.
Would have been better If they were geared up for matchday trade.
Its 30 years since I left Donny to move to Sheffield. The whole area by the ground wasnt built then. I was looking for the building that had been The Sidings but didnt recognise it. It was very 80s when it was my local and out of place in Hyde Park.
We often go to The Boat at Sprotbrough if driving up the A1 but it was great driving in through Warmsworth and Balby trying to remember what it looked like in 1985.
I did of course point out that "Open All Hours" was filmed in the back streets of Balby.

acting like a prick and singing about nonces playing for us, better of out the ground tbh

That was an "early widows" red card iirc.

Hoyed good and proper.

Full of bullshit more like. Not for the first time, I jumped in without engaging brain. Hadn't seen the OP's original post, I wish Doncaster Rovers & the OP well, he seems like a very nice bloke.

He's been following em for years if it's the same guy.

Retford I think he's from.

Would have been better If they were geared up for matchday trade.
Its 30 years since I left Donny to move to Sheffield. The whole area by the ground wasnt built then. I was looking for the building that had been The Sidings but didnt recognise it. It was very 80s when it was my local and out of place in Hyde Park.
We often go to The Boat at Sprotbrough if driving up the A1 but it was great driving in through Warmsworth and Balby trying to remember what it looked like in 1985.
I did of course point out that "Open All Hours" was filmed in the back streets of Balby.

aye, nice area that.

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say a massive thank you to all the fans who made the trip to Doncaster tonight! It was fantastic support from the Sunderland fans and was great to see so many fans.

Also a personal thank you from myself to all the people who came to say hello and for a chat it was a pleasure to meet you all!

If anyone has any feedback on your trip to the Keepmoat then please get in touch.

Again thank you to all who travelled and I hope you had a safe journey home.

Kind regards
Deano
Enjoyed the trip to doncaster cheers!

Those sunderland supporters thinking it is big or clever to sing my garden shed to league 1 opposition in a tidy fit for purpose stadium give your heads a shake. It is neither.

Hopefully doncaster have a good season.

TBF apart from the size the SOL isn't exactly a building of great architectural beauty. Also the old ground was almost the exact same distance away from the town centre, though I suppose you did have the benefit of the racecourse being opposite and a couple of pubs on the way down Bennethorpe. The town centre if you know the way is only a 20 minute walk, there's also other pubs within less walking distance, obviously though away fans aren't going to know that and as such is situated in and around some crappy industrial/retail buildings, just like the SOL....

Harsh, I live down here, from Durham and it's certainly no worse than Sunderland, with more green and open spaces. It's simply a typical Northern town. The ground, well it depends how you approach it - it's also on the Lakeside, if you approach it from Bawtry Road you have the Racecourse and Golf Club, as well as Bennetthorpe (if coming from Town) which is actually quite nice, and the walk to it from town isn't much more of a walk than crossing Wearmouth Bridge towards the SOL from the City Centre.

I lived in Ashington for 20 years mate and the town centre on market day was just like Ashington's market. Gypsies and toothless locals flogging tat. First two pubs were totally hostile. Stopped in a hotel a short ride from the centre and the journey into centre didn't paint the best of pictures neither. Perhaps there's nice areas but the centre itself is on a different level entirely.

I lived in Ashington for 20 years mate and the town centre on market day was just like Ashington's market. Gypsies and toothless locals flogging tat. First two pubs were totally hostile. Stopped in a hotel a short ride from the centre and the journey into centre didn't paint the best of pictures neither. Perhaps there's nice areas but the centre itself is on a different level entirely.

the indoor market is one of the best in the best in the UK actually, outdoor is little different from anywhere else. I lived in Durham for 36 years and I see little different in terms of people walking around duri the day in Durham to Sunderland, Newcastle city centre etc. Only thing you'll spot in Donny is probably a higher number of eastern Europeans. There's some quite run down areas in Donny town centre, as there is in most areas, but there's decent places too. As for pubs being hostile, I would imagine depending on what pub you're at in what city or town centre you will also get that anywhere, but I've never encountered any in Donny town centre in the five years I've been here.I don't buy it being any worse than Sunderland for example because it isn't.

Enjoyed the trip to doncaster cheers!

Those sunderland supporters thinking it is big or clever to sing my garden shed to league 1 opposition in a tidy fit for purpose stadium give your heads a shake. It is neither.

Hopefully doncaster have a good season.
Well they sang johnson is a paedophile and premier league your having a laugh.

So, in other words, fuck them.

It's just football banter at the end of the day.

Well they sang johnson is a paedophile and premier league your having a laugh.

So, in other words, fuck them.

It's just football banter at the end of the day.
Premier league you are having a laugh...they were spot on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back