Completely random SAFC stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Had 3 points for a win been in operation at the time, we would have avoided relegation regardless of the result in the Coventry v Bristol City match. We would also have pipped Stoke to promotion in 1979.

Had 2 points for a win still been in operation, we would have been relegated in 1993, but promoted in 1998 and 2004

Only team to win a wembley cup final where an orange ball was used. How about England?
Only team to win the FA Cup and not play in the Charity Shield?
Apart from the fact we have played in the Charity Shield (but I'll put that down to carelessly worded question), there were other years when it wasn't the champions v cup winners.

Tony Cullen holds the dubious honour of being the first SAFC substitute to himself be substituted, coming on as a first half substitute for Colin Pascoe v Birmingham at Roker on 1 April 1989, before being substituted by Thomas Hauser on 75 minutes

Only team to win a wembley cup final where an orange ball was used.
Only team to win the FA Cup and not play in the Charity Shield?

Not sure about that one. Pre 73 I think it was pretty random which teams played in that game, so there could be others. I could be wrong though.

Tony Cullen holds the dubious honour of being the first SAFC substitute to himself be substituted, coming on as a first half substitute for Colin Pascoe v Birmingham at Roker on 1 April 1989, before being substituted by Thomas Hauser on 75 minutes

He didn't even look like a footballer....he was shocking.

Last team to have two players score 30 or more league goals in the top flight.
In the same season?

There were 100 days between the 2 legs of the league cup semi final against Villa in 1963, which must be some sort of record.

We could be the first team ever to lose ten consecutive home league matches against the same opposition on November 29th :(

We played league games on 4 consecutive Mondays in April and May 1973. Unusual even today.

Not sure about that one. Pre 73 I think it was pretty random which teams played in that game, so there could be others. I could be wrong though.

He didn't even look like a footballer....he was shocking.

In the same season?
Yes my mistake.

John Oster is the only player to miss in a penalty shoot out both for and against SAFC, missing for Everton in a League Cup 4th round tie at Goodison in 1999, and for SAFC v Crystal Palace in the play off semi final in 2004.

On the topic of penalty shoot outs, Nigel Saddington is the only player to take part in a shoot out on his SAFC debut, scoring in an 8-7 shoot out win v Barnsley in the Full Members Cup in 1986-87
I worked with Nige at the Leisure centre, top lad.

]nope yer not............it was common place for teams to decline to take part and others invited to play the game....the previous year to our cup win both derby and leeds( winners of the league and cup respectively both declined to take part..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back