Do you think Short, Congerton and Poyet are on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And? He was saying exactly what every single one of us was thinking. That it looked impossible. He said we needed a miracle, and we got one by our players pulling their finger out. Maybe they listened to these words and thought 'we better f***ing start doing these things or we're fucked'.

"practically impossible"........"I cannot see it happening"

Logon or register to see this image

At the moment we are no different to any other club or business, saving money and cutting costs. The working party that went to America last week and rumours of stadium naming rights suggest the next step is to find outside investment. Although I'm not convinced the states is a niche market I do think club to club partnerships looks like its the way forward. 1 sponsor has one deal with two clubs meaning a larger target. Only a matter of time before we see a PL game played abroad also imo.

Poyet was manager nearly the whole season, right so it was partly Poyets fault in the first place we needed a 'miracle'?

No, not really. If you get 1 point from your first 8 games then you're likely going to be looking for a miracle come the end of the season.

"practically impossible"........"I cannot see it happening"

Exactly what I was saying at the time, and all I could do was hope for some kind of miracle.

At the moment we are no different to any other club or business, saving money and cutting costs. The working party that went to America last week and rumours of stadium naming rights suggest the next step is to find outside investment. Although I'm not convinced the states is a niche market I do think club to club partnerships looks like its the way forward. 1 sponsor has one deal with two clubs meaning a larger target. Only a matter of time before we see a PL game played abroad also imo.

This is exactly the type of thing Short should be concentrating on.....it's his area of expertise. What he shouldn't be doing imo is dictating football policy at the club as he knows very little about it.

Pure luck, he looked and sounded bewildered, a defeated man. We played like a team with nothing to lose. & what manager resigns nowadays? Lose the pay off? Don't happen.

Our players looked bewildered and defeated too. I'd say he was ripping his hair out. Can you blame him?

This is exactly the type of thing Short should be concentrating on.....it's his area of expertise. What he shouldn't be doing imo is dictating football policy at the club as he knows very little about it.
He has done this though. The invest in Africa thing and the amount 'club partnerships' that have been announced over the last few years. You can't just rock up to major investor and ask them to put money in. You have to start small and show the big boys why your worth them risking their money on you.

i don't think theyve the foggiest idea tbh

Me neither.

Poyet is on-the-job training, not many jobs you can get paid millions and then learn as you go. For someone in such a key position he should at the very least have learned more by now about how to address the press / public.

Time will tell as to whether he learns enough about the job in time to have a positive impact or if we start sinking lower in which case he will be dumped and we will throw money at the next chancer and hope and pray that he'll come good.

I'm still to be convinced.

Looking at the teams around us and their likely transfer signings in this window could leave us in real trouble if, as anticipated, we aren't making anymore signings ourselves.
I'm just not sure what Short's strategy is but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working in favour of the club or supporters.
He's clearing Quinns debt!!!!

I'm still to be convinced.

Looking at the teams around us and their likely transfer signings in this window could leave us in real trouble if, as anticipated, we aren't making anymore signings ourselves.
I'm just not sure what Short's strategy is but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be working in favour of the club or supporters.
He's clearing Quinns debt!!!!

He has done this though. The invest in Africa thing and the amount 'club partnerships' that have been announced over the last few years. You can't just rock up to major investor and ask them to put money in. You have to start small and show the big boys why your worth them risking their money on you.

Yeah, as I say that's what he should be doing......what I'm also saying is that he's got things wrong big-style on the football side.

But you said this earlier when I asked you if he had thrown the towel in....

"Threw in the towel? Don't make me laugh"

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/do-you-think-short-congerton-and-poyet-are-on-the-right-track.1028275/page-2#ixzz3QDH9PqyB

Those quotes by Poyet look like a man who had indeed conceded defeat.

Reacting to a heavy defeat like this, you can forgive him for feeling a bit hopeless about the situation. I was sure we were down after Spurs, it was like the final nail in the coffin. But don't try to tell me that Poyet gave up!

As Gus Poyet confirmed when he took his turn to walk into the very same room at White Hart Lane in the wake of Monday night's 5-1 thrashing, they will almost certainly not be so lucky this time.
Di Canio's successor was both emotional and brutally frank as he revealed it would "take a miracle" and was "practically impossible" for Sunderland to avoid dropping into the Championship.
"I cannot see it [survival] happening," stated the Uruguayan. "As soon as we go forward we cannot defend. We cannot make decisions. We cannot go one v one. We cannot pass the ball. We cannot get a shot on target. There are so many basic things we cannot do and there is no place to hide."

http://www.theguardian.com/football...-league-relegation-ellis-short-steve-mcclaren

Publically questioning the players' attitudes and reputations and in a roundabout way threaten their money and cushy life. They mysteriously switched on straight after.

Reacting to a heavy defeat like this, you can forgive him for feeling a bit hopeless about the situation. I was sure we were down after Spurs, it was like the final nail in the coffin. But don't try to tell me that Poyet gave up!

He did give up.......and that precipitated an atmosphere where all the pressure was released at the club and players were suddenly able to express themselves without that all-pervading fear of failure.

Yeah, as I say that's what he should be doing......what I'm also saying is that he's got things wrong big-style on the football side.
Thats where I imagine Congerton fits in. I honestly thought we would see a major shake up in the academy over the last 6 months. New coaches and scouting system there seems to have been very little change however. Its one area that save us money and earn us it by producing players snd getting decent fee's for them.

Publically questioning the players' attitudes and reputations and in a roundabout way threaten their money and cushy life. They mysteriously switched on straight after.

That's one way of looking at it.....hence why I asked whether it was reverse psychology. The problem I have with that is the situation we are in now....he's still calling the players crap but we aren't getting a reaction this time. Personally I think he'd gave up and was just apportioning blame.

Is there a masterplan......do they just need more time.

No there is not a master plan and no they do not need more time. They have already ruined the club.

Basically do you think they are competent at what they do.

No. A bunch of blind chimpanzees would run the club better.

Short has been Chairman since October 2011.....Congerton has been in his role since March last year and Gus since October 2013.

So? What has the length of time got to do with it?

Thats where I imagine Congerton fits in. I honestly thought we would see a major shake up in the academy over the last 6 months. New coaches and scouting system there seems to have been very little change however. Its one area that save us money and earn us it by producing players snd getting decent fee's for them.

Academy change IS long term......I don't think anyone can argue that. What I'm concerned about is statements like this....

"We do need more players, but it's not so much about quantity, it's about quality."
“We need to have a squad but first of all we need a starting side that can be competitive”
"I don't want to sign players just for the sake of it. We want to sign players who are established in the Premier League and that is difficult - there is a premium, they are more expensive."

The starting XI is very important," Congerton explained. "We need to have a squad but first of all we need a starting side that can be competitive.
"We need to replace the likes of Ki (Sung-Yeung) and Fabio (Borini) before we're on a level footing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27909144

Does anyone really think he's achieved those objectives.....how many of last summer's 9 signings are established in the firstX1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back