Do you think Short, Congerton and Poyet are on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, I fully believe we are on the right track. Compare this to the De Fanti/Di Canio or the MON era, I never felt we were really going anywhere under these people. Short's got it right with these two guys. They've got their heads screwed on and they're looking to the future.
Righto Ellis!

Overall aim is really to focus on the academy and bring up young players through the ranks, either local born lads or lads brought in at a young age from the rest of the UK of abroad.

Style of play is really what needs to be settled on. Some form of attack minded possession football seems to be the aim. To get it right requires time. Unfortunately the cost of dropping out of the Premier League is high enough to cause trigger fingers, rather than accepting a relegation in the short term to get it right in the long term as coming back up quickly is no guarantee.

I think we're stuck in this never ending cycle of signing shit players, realising they're shit early on and spending the next few years trying to flog them, patting ourselves on the back when we do get rid then replacing them with equally shit players and starting again.

Don't really know what the solution is but its of our own doing. No I don't think they're on the right track at all

There are tracks and then there are expectations and the dreaded "ambition".

From Short's financial perspective the main "track" is staying in the PL with good runs in the cups. This is a highly competitive business that operates under financial constraints. Regardless of the strength of our support we are in the same financial/performance boat as most other clubs that are mid-table or below in the PL or upper table in the Championship. There's not a lot of room for error and getting things wrong can have major impacts as the Mags found out a few seasons ago. It's easy to drop out of the group and never return (see Coventry) but moving up from it requires time and massive investment. Teams can crack European places on a one-off basis (e.g., Ipswich) but sustaining that level is virtually impossible without said investment (name one outside of the usual suspects that has done it for more than a year or two other than ManC).

The best players are siphoned off by the better PL and European teams. That leaves veterans on the downslope, average players and prospects that the top clubs have overlooked or don't rate to be shared among all the other PL and top Championship teams in the FA. You can mix and match, change formations, change the coach/manager all you want but the reality is that there's not likely to be too much to pick and choose among 15-20 teams and any of those teams can beat any of the others on any given day keeping the standings tight. Hopefully, you unearth a Kevin Phillips or create an environment in which the best of the rest want to play for you to separate you from the pack a bit.

Given that context, we are on the right track with our longest run in the top flight in over 50 years as well as some cup success. This despite a lot of turnover of personnel in little more than a year and injuries to key personnel which have been amplified by our lack of depth. If we can achieve some level of stability we have the quality to be a solid mid-table club. We've made ourselves hard to beat and now it's time to push on.

you haven't even got the maths bit right either..........let alone writing off what he might do on the pitch during that time.........

By then a league position will be worth over £1 million a place so even your incorrect figure could easily be achieved by his "contribution" ...........

What contribution is a 36 year old Defoe going to make, specifically?

But Gus rang him up and brought him in, anyway lets see how he gets on before we write him off after 2 games with no service.

I'm not writing him off this season. I'm saying paying him top dollar in 2019 is a great indicator that those running our club don't have a f***ing clue what they're doing.

I'm not writing him off this season. I'm saying paying him top dollar in 2019 is a great indicator that those running our club don't have a f***ing clue what they're doing.

But you don't know that he will be paid 'top dollar' in 2019 do you? Even if he is still here then, the suggestion from the press is that his salary is very heavily bonus related. Even if he is here, he won't be getting paid 'top dollar' to sit on the bench.

Congerton has had less that 1 year in the job ffs. Poyet just longer.

What's needed is a bit of time to see. No use changing it every season or two.

There probably is no plan

Why do say, we need to stop sacking managers, look where it has got us

Pretty much every Premier League club does that, its dog eat dog, and I am not saying Poyet should be sacked, but there doesn't always need to be a master plan

The main thing we need to sort out is the scouting, to be fair to the mags, every deal they make, makes financial sense, even if somebody isn;t a big hit, they seem to get money back or something.

We just need to be smarter in our deals and who we bring in, we waste money year after year, and did it this year too,

He wont be here when hes 36 and he wont be here in 2019.................

Have another try to get at least one thing on this thread right..........

Is there a masterplan......do they just need more time. Basically do you think they are competent at what they do. Short has been Chairman since October 2011.....Congerton has been in his role since March last year and Gus since October 2013.
There was a plan from the start and that was to get into the top 10 and then we were to push for top 6 that was what was said years ago and that is why Short gave all those funds. He has pumped in well over £100m since he has been here, where it went wrong is spending that money on shite players and that is down to Steve Bruce. Short is trying to put structures in place with the DOF to stop this happening again, he is wary of stumping up large sums of cash now because he has had his fingers burnt which you can't blame him for but on the other hand we all know you have to spend money to make it up the league otherwise you struggle year after year and that is whats happening. Poyet wants full control of transfers but he isn't going to get it, I don't have to be in the board room to know that. I think we still have 1 or 2 seasons to get anywhere decent unfortunately but I'm open to be surprised.

The main things that worries me is we don't seem to have a club ethos. Going from Bruce to MON to Di Canio to Poyet we have from completely different managers, recruitment processes and playing styles. It would be good to pick one and stick to it no matter who the manager is. Swansea are a great example of this.

....Sounds fine but....if Swansea had hit (or were about to hit) the bottom 3 their board would have almost certainly sacked their manager like any other club .....to remain loyal even if relegated is no option now despite how many pundits seem to recommend clubs do that ....can you imagine the reaction amongst (most) of our fans if we stuck with Gus whilst being relegated? The ethos may well be right ...but the dangers of getting it wrong by remaining loyal are too great ..no matter who the chairman might be.

....Sounds fine but....if Swansea had hit (or were about to hit) the bottom 3 their board would have almost certainly sacked their manager like any other club .....to remain loyal even if relegated is no option now despite how many pundits seem to recommend clubs do that ....can you imagine the reaction amongst (most) of our fans if we stuck with Gus whilst being relegated? The ethos may well be right ...but the dangers of getting it wrong by remaining loyal are too great ..no matter who the chairman might be.

Yeah but they would sack him and get someone in that fits with the setup. Rather than needing to buy a whole new team, again, to play a totally different style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back