Father Ted.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get new writers, it amazes me how many shows are killed when they have good legs.
Get some in could have gone on for longer, Being human could have went on for basically ever, Father ted could have had new writers, but problem with the TV world is it seems very 'establishment' orientated and the same old names get the jobs.
Look at doctor who, they have the numpty moffet in charge these days, he used to be brilliant, a true artist, but now I would not trust him to write a shopping list or direct people across a road - never mind write/produce doctor who.
Plenty of fans could do better than him - without any doubt.
The writers invented the show man, it's him who did the IT crowd, he can't just sack himself! He got bored of craggy island unfortunately.

Surprised they haven't done a comeback special since mind you.

Get new writers, it amazes me how many shows are killed when they have good legs.
Get some in could have gone on for longer, Being human could have went on for basically ever, Father ted could have had new writers, but problem with the TV world is it seems very 'establishment' orientated and the same old names get the jobs.
Look at doctor who, they have the numpty moffet in charge these days, he used to be brilliant, a true artist, but now I would not trust him to write a shopping list or direct people across a road - never mind write/produce doctor who.

I'd argue for the exact opposite for sitcoms. Knowing when to stop is key. Father Ted, as a series, came to a natural end without losing anything. Other sitcoms don't so that - Peep Show, for example, is still very funny but nowhere near as good as it was at its peak.

Being Human got poorer as the cast left and new characters arrived, nothing to do with the writing really.

I'd argue for the exact opposite for sitcoms. Knowing when to stop is key. Father Ted, as a series, came to a natural end without losing anything. Other sitcoms don't so that - Peep Show, for example, is still very funny but nowhere near as good as it was at its peak.

Being Human got poorer as the cast left and new characters arrived, nothing to do with the writing really.
Only fools and horses is the prime, prime example.

Gets shitter with every comeback.

I'd argue for the exact opposite for sitcoms. Knowing when to stop is key. Father Ted, as a series, came to a natural end without losing anything.

this ^^^^

the disappointing thing about dermot morgan's passing was what he could have gone on to do. my memory may be hazy, but i recall father ted being more of a cult show rather than mainstream. dermot was on the cusp of going big and you wonder what opportunity's he would have taken....

i'm fairly sure he'd have done a smidge better than ardal o'hanlon & my hero...

this ^^^^

the disappointing thing about dermot morgan's passing was what he could have gone on to do. my memory may be hazy, but i recall father ted being more of a cult show rather than mainstream. dermot was on the cusp of going big and you wonder what opportunity's he would have taken....

i'm fairly sure he'd have done a smidge better than ardal o'hanlon & my hero...

Aye, Dermot Morgan was going to move on to good things.

My Hero was a truly dreadful sitcom - amazed it lasted as long as it did! Ardal O'Hanlon's novel, The Talk of the Town, was surprisingly good, however...

It's perfect, the greatest comedy programme ever.

Probably why the likes of 'WHTT Likely Lads' and 'Fawlty Towers' are so well thought of now, the standard never dropped because they had a 'relatively' short run, Father Ted was the same, too many hit sitcoms flog a good idea to death.

Dougal: Hello there Len.
Bishop Brennan: Don't call me Len, you prick. Refer to me as 'Bishop Brennan'!
Dougal: Ah right you are there Len.

Oh arse, beaten to it!!!

Pretty much agree with this, although I think it might have had one more series in it had the lead actor not died. Likewise Blackadder, think they could've squeezed one more series out of that too. In general though, I agree some sit-coms go on too long. "Only Fools" is a prime example. You can only stretch an idea out so far irrespective of how good it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back