Films with bad endings.

Lord of the rings, the last one. Awful.
Aye they could have easily ditched the last hour or so. Once the bad guys had been sorted I think that most audiences would have been quite happy with just 5 minutes of Bilbo sailing off to Neverland with the Elves.

When I read the book 50 years before it had never been clear to me why the Elves & all the rest had to sail off to Neverland in the first place or what they proposed to do when they got there. Frankly by the time it came to that bit in the filum I had lost the will to live and didn't really care.

Brilliant ending to a film ….its almost like the ending of a final girl slasher movie …..but with a shark instead of a homicidal maniac. Jaws will always be one of the greatest films of all time
It is a great ending and a great film. Unfortunately the poster got Jaws and Jaws: the Revenge mixed up.
Aye swimming into shore on a float. There should have been a second shark that came out of nowhere are bit Hooper and Brady’s legs off
Oh, Jeff, you wacky zany guy you...

Last edited:
The Italian Job, No Country For Old Men, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing etc etc tend to get reet on my moobs as I want to know the whole story for certain. Maybe they wouldn’t ”work” if the tale was wrapped up in a bow for us? Or maybe the writers/directors or whoever couldn’t make it work with the tale played out to its end? Still great films though but Bob.

Never seen it but I wasn’t buying that cast as schoolkids when clips were on TOTP back in the late 70s. There must have been some hard paper rounds round your way if that’s what the kids at school looked like.*

*Im aware that US education laws and insurance fees make the use of real life schoolkids in US films and TV prohibitively expensive.
The Italian Job has one of the best endings of all time.

Agree about the other two. NCFOM had me grinding my teeth in rage after sitting through such a long film.

The Italian Job has one of the best endings of all time.

Agree about the other two. NCFOM had me grinding my teeth in rage after sitting through such a long film.
In the book about the Italian Job they say why the ending was left open for a sequel and discuss a couple of ideas of how the sequel would play out.

Caine’s “idea” was to run the petrol down to rebalance the bus.

The marketing in america was a complete misfire due to Robert Evans (a rare mis step for him, he of Godfsther, Chinatown, Love Story, etc) so the sequel was DOA.

NCFOM was a bit of a let down, ditto There Will Be Blood. “I’m finished!”

In the book about the Italian Job they say why the ending was left open for a sequel and discuss a couple of ideas of how the sequel would play out.

Caine’s “idea” was to run the petrol down to rebalance the bus.

The marketing in america was a complete misfire due to Robert Evans (a rare mis step for him, he of Godfsther, Chinatown, Love Story, etc) so the sequel was DOA.

NCFOM was a bit of a let down, ditto There Will Be Blood. “I’m finished!”
Off topic, but if I could be reincarnated as anybody in history, I'd probably be Robert Evans. The Kid Stays In The Picture is an awesome documentary.

But I'd get the Italian Job marketing right.

Back