Films with bad endings.

This isn't going to be a popular opinion but I didn't like the ending of no country for old men.

Was great then all of a sudden there is a time jump and every bugger is dead.

I thought I had a fault on the dvd, like when the shops used to repair video tapes by cutting out and reattaching the chewed film.

Also thought the end of lord of the rings was way too long and boring. Took the shine off an impressive trilogy.
Not the actual ending but IIRC they skipped over the death of Brolin. He’s been an anti hero and you e followed his struggle through the whole film trying / hoping he’ll get away with the swag and his death happens off camera. That was poor.

I hate Reservoir Dogs cos … well Tarantino is a one trick pony but to make a heist film and then not even show the heist - not cool, not trendy, not quirky, just lame.

Independence Day Resurgence and Moonfall, though will be more to fit the bill I'm going for. Now forget if you think any parts of those films are good, I'm picking the endings specifically as bad as they end by setting up sequels. Always a brave move to set up a sequel and just assume you'll get it made and that people will love the film.

Back to the Future got away with it, though regret it due to forcing them to deal with a spare part character at the start of the film. At least the sequel set up in the second film was a guaranteed sequel.

the milkshake ending?

Nah, just the one where the pregnant lass & the little girl get shot dead.
Films like that should ultimately finalise grim as fuck man.
28 Days Later is another one.
The 3 main characters who survived should have been cannibalised halfway up the Honister Pass on their journey to ‘freedom’.

To contrast the other thread about films with great opening scenes...

Signs. It's discovered the aliens that land on earth can be killed by water... good job they landed on a planet surrounded by water then. Some thick aliens.

The Devil's Advocate. Keanu Reeves kills himself so his Dad (the devil) can't force him to create an offspring. He wakes up in the past as if the whole film had been a dream. Makes the right decision instead of the wrong one that started the whole thing and then the devil reveals himself with awful CGI to be a reporter who was with Keanu all along. Says a one liner to the camera and Paint it Black starts playing. Shite.

Jaws the Revenge. The shark starts roaring like bad dinosaur audio effect from a stop motion creature feature from the 1960s. Ellen Brody then has a flashback to the scene from first film where Brody shoots the original shark, have to assume she saw the first film on VHS? In one version the shark blows up for, reasons.
Jaws the Revenge starts badly, has a bad middle and a bad ending to be fair. Even Michael Caine when asked said he'd never watched it but by all accounts it was terrible. He also said he'd seen the house it bought it bought him, and it was terrific.

Fair play to him.

Last edited:
Not the actual ending but IIRC they skipped over the death of Brolin. He’s been an anti hero and you e followed his struggle through the whole film trying / hoping he’ll get away with the swag and his death happens off camera. That was poor.

I hate Reservoir Dogs cos … well Tarantino is a one trick pony but to make a heist film and then not even show the heist - not cool, not trendy, not quirky, just lame.
It was an indie fillum with an indie budget. Basically one step up from guerilla filluming. The cheaper QT got it made the more impressed the industry would be. Also a heist movie without showing the heist was kind of the point in that it got the industry interested in the first place.

I mean it's funny but a massive anti-climax for the whole film.
I know python has that surreal edge to what they do but I always felt as though that was tacked on, almost as I they didn’t really know how it should end.
I know python has that surreal edge to what they do but I always felt as though that was tacked on, almost as I they didn’t really know how it should end.
Just looked it up. John Cleese said that he didn’t like the ending but they couldn’t think of anything else at the time.

Last edited:
What's your point? Are you confusing that I specified 'Jaws: The revenge' as a bad ending because in an alt version the shark blew up for whatever reason? It did, this is a clip from Jaws... we know why it it blew up in this one
I read your post as the shark blew up in her flashback "for reasons", not in The Revenge.
You can untwist your nickers now.

Last edited:
To contrast the other thread about films with great opening scenes...

Signs. It's discovered the aliens that land on earth can be killed by water... good job they landed on a planet surrounded by water then. Some thick aliens.

The Devil's Advocate. Keanu Reeves kills himself so his Dad (the devil) can't force him to create an offspring. He wakes up in the past as if the whole film had been a dream. Makes the right decision instead of the wrong one that started the whole thing and then the devil reveals himself with awful CGI to be a reporter who was with Keanu all along. Says a one liner to the camera and Paint it Black starts playing. Shite.

Jaws the Revenge. The shark starts roaring like bad dinosaur audio effect from a stop motion creature feature from the 1960s. Ellen Brody then has a flashback to the scene from first film where Brody shoots the original shark, have to assume she saw the first film on VHS? In one version the shark blows up for, reasons.
Not a film or really a bad ending but I hated the last episode of this is England where Combo is driven off to supposedly to his death brilliantly acted but I never really wanted him to die as he was a reformed character.

Back