Foreign tv series

Signal. Korean murder investigation in which a police officer in 2016 finds he can communicate by radio with a police officer in 1989. They start working together on cold cases. Brilliantly done, with lots of twists along the way.

Was remade last year as a Japanese series, so take your pick.

‘Valley of Tears’ on all4 is canny, follows a group of people through the opening of the Yom Kippur War. Was always partial to Braque on FX at the time.

Call my Agent (Dix Pour Cent) is also a good one.

The Bureau (French spy thriller) is the king of 'foreign' TV shows imo
100% this. The best non English speaking series I've ever watched. The thought of watching it dubbed makes me physically sick.
‘Valley of Tears’ on all4 is canny, follows a group of people through the opening of the Yom Kippur War. Was always partial to Braque on FX at the time.

Call my Agent (Dix Pour Cent) is also a good one.
I liked that as well.
Dark on Netflix.

Gets the brain going that’s for sure.
Season 1 was great. By season 3 I was scratching my head.

Last edited:
Of those I have watched I would highly recommend The Bridge

Others worth a mention: Spiral, Forbrydelsen (original and best version of The Killing), Borgen, Trapped

Dubbing is a lot cheaper than subtitles.

I use it as a rule of thumb: oh, so you're dubbing The Simpsons, does that mean you think it's only for kids/the brain dead?

Subtitles are almost always better than dubbing.

With dubbing you lose a lot of the performance while subtitles makes you concentrate on what you are watching rather than messing one with your phone or having pointless arguments on SMB. Also a good way of picking up some foreign language skills. All of the Danish I know is thanks to watching Borgen.

I really don't mind sub titles but am not keen on dubbing. I have just watched a good series from Argentina called Club Hooligans.
Not a documentary.

Depending on what you like, I watched a German series called dark which was quality
Almost never watched it because I watched half the first episode dubbed and thought the acting was terrible. Put the subtitles on and the acting was actually spot on.

It's a great series.

The bridge was also good.

Back