Guardian Readers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's easy to answer questions with more questions. You're not The Riddler. Easy to just keep on making observations without ever actually having the balls to state an opinion of your own. Answer the one I asked you and I'll respond to yours.

I just added it in at the start, someone was on here the other week saying there are not enough girls doing engineering, has anyone not thought that in general they might not be any good or even enjoy doing engineering?

It's easy to answer questions with more questions. You're not The Riddler. Easy to just keep on making observations without ever actually having the balls to state an opinion of your own. Answer the one I asked you and I'll respond to yours.

I assume of course that you are opposed to schemes designed to ensure that Westmisnter shares some of the Nations wealth to provide more economic investment, jobs etc in the North East? Would be just another form of positive discrimination after all, and you're against that.

I'd want a fair crack of the whip aye, if we had an equal share of inward investment as say London then we'd all be laughing I'm sure.

I'd want a fair crack of the whip aye, if we had an equal share of inward investment as say London then we'd all be laughing I'm sure.

But we're starting from a position of inequality, so a fair crack of the whip would entail positive discrimination. Shame eh.

I just added it in at the start, someone was on here the other week saying there are not enough girls doing engineering, has anyone not thought that in general they might not be any good or even enjoy doing engineering?

What, you mean just like some blokes aren't and don't? Give them the opportunity to decide that for themselves.

You know you're dealing with a special talent when he flips out at the mere suggestion that the appalling conviction rate for rape and sexual assaults on women should be a valid feminist issue...

What, you mean just like some blokes aren't and don't? Give them the opportunity to decide that for themselves.

I think they have the opportunity if they want it but in general they've already decided they aren't suited, and for the same reasons you dont get many men being authors, secretaries or librarians for instance. You can lead a horse to water.

But we're starting from a position of inequality, so a fair crack of the whip would entail positive discrimination. Shame eh.

an equal share from now on would do me and would soon see us a lot lot better off.

Because London has more wealth than here, greater capacity to produce it, great population. It would be an equal share between two unequal partners. It would require preferential treatment to a minority on the basis of their minority status and history of discrimination rather than any logical or rational argument relating to balance of resources. Hence, positive discrimination.

Men either rise to the top because:

The workplace is still an institutionally sexist organisation or because women aren't interested in top jobs. I feel it's the former and not the latter, but I'm not a woman so perhaps I'm not right. I'd love to not be right because I'd rather women simply didn't want those jobs instead of women being overlooked for them.

@HellsBells has views on this, that would be interesting to here (at least I think she does)
?

I'm not sure I can be arsed, to be honest.

Must admit it takes a special kind of kernt to read the Guardian. Especially when they beat the drum about tax avoidance despite GMG, their own parent company, who aggressively avoid tax.

The argument there is that gender roles are enforced by many parents at a young age and too many girls are not enabled or encouraged to pursue a discipline like engineering.

And can you imagine the uproar on here if some woman was ruining their crack at work?

You know you're dealing with a special talent when he flips out at the mere suggestion that the appalling conviction rate for rape and sexual assaults on women should be a valid feminist issue...

It was odd in the extreme. Isn't the conviction rate something like 2-3%?

Then the odd counter argument which was to question my position on false accusations, which I view as an almost equally life-ruining crime purely because the spectre of an impossibly low conviction rate hangs over it, meaning people still assume you may have done it.

No it's only what I was talking about earlier regarding talented competent women who are duly rewarded for their abilities, you complete f***ing idiot.

Should better educated young people expect to earn more than those with a poorer education?

Yes / no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back