Gus Poyet

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think he was decent tactically but lost the plot when things went badly.

And his taste in a player was appalling. Scocco, Bridcutt, Buckley, Vergini. Oh dear.
Taking the start and end of his reign, few managers have presided over such a dramatic decline in the quality of the side.

I watched Poyet take a team almost certain of relegation to league 2, who couldn't pass a football into a team that containing the same players quite literally pass their way back to the Championship.
Death by a thousand passes it was called by one paper.

Taking the start and end of his reign, few managers have presided over such a dramatic decline in the quality of the side.
:lol::lol::lol: what the fuck is this nonsense? We had just had a summer that contained signings such as Celustka, diakite, roberge, karlsson, dossena, altidore, Giaccherini, Mavrias.

What are you talking about :lol:

Genuine question. Do you hate the style under Allardyce? Last 2 games?
for me it's a similar situation to the one when poyet first came in where we were that far behind and looking like we couldn't buy a point so i can/could stomach having us set up first and foremost for the draw for the sake of our survival. it was more the fact that after a few transfer windows this was still seemingly the only way we could be set up to earn points making it impossible for us to kick on as a club.

in saying that though poyet and allardyce's styles are different. while both get 9/10 men behind the ball defending, what they have their teams do once they regain possession is very different. allardyce tries to get the ball up the pitch quickly to counter as the opposition scrambles back (whether through a hoof or some other means), whereas poyet would try to have us play it out from the back, leading to us losing the ball again in daft positions on the pitch, having our defenders spend too much time on the ball so that they are eventually hasled into clearing straight out, or otherwise giving the opposition far too much time to organise themselves in defence, meaning that we needed some sort of creative magician if we hoped to score a goal (which we obviously didn't have and couldn't buy as those sorts of players are hugely sought after). on the rare occasions where we would break from defence quickly under poyet there would be at best one man in the box, where from what i've seen so far under sam we do get a few more into scoring positions when the time is right.

so basically what i'm saying is that using allardyce's approach we are far more likely to 'pinch' a winner, whereas under poyet, for the most part, we couldn't really expect anything more than a draw, hence my comment of victory seeming like a fluke under poyet. the table for the 2014-15 season reflects this; we had 17 draws, 6 more than any other team and we won only 7, equal to the least amount won by any team (2 of those being derby victories of course, two games which i think are fair to say are exceptional to the rest of the season because of the occasion).

shit, this has turned into a bit of an essay, i'll leave it at that and see what you think

for me it's a similar situation to the one when poyet first came in where we were that far behind and looking like we couldn't buy a point so i can/could stomach having us set up first and foremost for the draw for the sake of our survival. it was more the fact that after a few transfer windows this was still seemingly the only way we could be set up to earn points making it impossible for us to kick on as a club.

in saying that though poyet and allardyce's styles are different. while both get 9/10 men behind the ball defending, what they have their teams do once they regain possession is very different. allardyce tries to get the ball up the pitch quickly to counter as the opposition scrambles back (whether through a hoof or some other means), whereas poyet would try to have us play it out from the back, leading to us losing the ball again in daft positions on the pitch, having our defenders spend too much time on the ball so that they are eventually hasled into clearing straight out, or otherwise giving the opposition far too much time to organise themselves in defence, meaning that we needed some sort of creative magician if we hoped to score a goal (which we obviously didn't have and couldn't buy as those sorts of players are hugely sought after). on the rare occasions where we would break from defence quickly under poyet there would be at best one man in the box, where from what i've seen so far under sam we do get a few more into scoring positions when the time is right.

so basically what i'm saying is that using allardyce's approach we are far more likely to 'pinch' a winner, whereas under poyet, for the most part, we couldn't really expect anything more than a draw, hence my comment of victory seeming like a fluke under poyet. the table for the 2014-15 season reflects this; we had 17 draws, 6 more than any other team and we won only 7, equal to the least amount won by any team (2 of those being derby victories of course, two games which i think are fair to say are exceptional to the rest of the season because of the occasion).

shit, this has turned into a bit of an essay, i'll leave it at that and see what you think
Makes a lot of sense to me marra.

Aye I know what you mean. I was just curious

:lol::lol::lol: what the fuck is this nonsense? We had just had a summer that contained signings such as Celustka, diakite, roberge, karlsson, dossena, altidore, Giaccherini, Mavrias.

What are you talking about :lol:
Oh aye the Di Fanti era! I'll give you that one ;)

Knew how to set up a defence apart from a few thrashings but what bottom half team doesn't get hammered a few times. At least 15 clean sheets last season. If we keep 10 more clean sheets this season we'll stay up.

did very well for a period, very rash in other periods, don't forget the mess we were in when he took over.

One thing I 100% agree with is that he does not have an eye for a player, which is absolutely vital in todays market, you can't waste time on the likes of buckley, vergini, bridcutt and co

He had potential, but he suffered two major flaws:

- never learning from previous mistakes
- giving up too easily and hoping the players could work out how to fix things.

Still young, so who knows.

Will always be grateful to Gus for the good memories. Will never forget Old Trafford, the final and the great escape. Fantastic experiences. We've moved on now but would wish him well.

Gave me my best memories personally supporting Sunderland. Derbies, man Utd away twice, Chelsea away, wembley. Football was poor in the end and he probably had to go.

Take him all day over MON tbh.
People won't like that :lol: but yes MON was f***ing shocking. People seem to have short memories...the football was at one stage, depressing.

On topic, Wembley was a great day, and in the first half I believed the unbelievable may actually happen :neutral:

Gave me my best memories personally supporting Sunderland. Derbies, man Utd away twice, Chelsea away, wembley. Football was poor in the end and he probably had to go.

Take him all day over MON tbh.
This. Ultimately the job turned out to be too big for him, and struggled with a DOF. In hindsight he should of gone after Southampton. He lost all faith in the players and they stopped responding to his methods. I still think he wanted the sack with some of the team selections and outbursts. But overall I like the bloke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back