Gus Poyet

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had potential, but he suffered two major flaws:

- never learning from previous mistakes
- giving up too easily and hoping the players could work out how to fix things.

Still young, so who knows.
Arrogance? Deflection? I'll add those to the list

What utter f***ing nonsense :D :D :D :D

So it's Di Fanti when Di Canio is here, but Poyet when Congerton is in charge of recruitment?
Good job we had Congerton given Gus's choices

A managerial spell of ecstatic highs and miserable lows.

I've never been as pissed off after games as Hull away and Bradford away the cup. Completely wasted opportunities.

Good job we had Congerton given Gus's choices

Ashley Williams, Christian Rodriquez, Borini, Vargas or what he ended up with? Because barring Bridcutt and whom came to replace your mate Cattermole, which was a massive fuck, up none seem to be Poyet's actual 'choices' just what we ended up with.

It was shit in the end, but he gave me my best memories supporting Sunderland. I'll always like Poyet and appreciate what he did for us. Keeping us up after such a poor start, especially the way he did it, and obviously the cup final.

Wish him the best of luck where ever else he manages (unless it's the mags!)

A managerial spell of ecstatic highs and miserable lows.

I've never been as pissed off after games as Hull away and Bradford away the cup. Completely wasted opportunities.

Completely agree with this though. The Bradford game was the one that turned me against Poyet.

Would be a good manager if his recruitment was any good. The way he wanted to play football couldn't be done with the players he brought in.
See I don't agree with that. He had some poor players playing good football in his first season, but totally abandoned that style in the second season, especially after the Southampton match. If anything it was his constant chopping and changing that cost us last season once we signed Defoe, we looked relatively solid if unspectacular before that and would probably have been comfortably clear of relegation courtesy of a load more draws.

Ashley Williams, Christian Rodriquez, Borini, Vargas or what he ended up with? Because barring Bridcutt and whom came to replace your mate Cattermole, which was a massive fuck, up none seem to be Poyet's actual 'choices' just what we ended up with.
Cattermole a mate of mine? You've lost me.

It was shit in the end, but he gave me my best memories supporting Sunderland. I'll always like Poyet and appreciate what he did for us. Keeping us up after such a poor start, especially the way he did it, and obviously the cup final.

Wish him the best of luck where ever else he manages (unless it's the mags!)

Completely agree with this though. The Bradford game was the one that turned me against Poyet.

Same here. The tactics and the way the team were set out was embarrassing that afternoon.

The football under him last season was turgid beyond belief (although I'm not expecting Allardyce to be any better in that regard) and he probably should have gone after the QPR home game but a lot of my best memories as a Sunderland fan came under his management and I wouldn't be too surprised if his spell here turns out to be a case of "right man, wrong time".

Would be a good manager if his recruitment was any good. The way he wanted to play football couldn't be done with the players he brought in.

Except we'll never know how much he was hampered by Congerton and DoF system.
That's the issue with putting some or all of the responsibility for recruitment into the hands of a DoF - the head coach has to try to make the best of what he's given but still seems to get blamed for sh8T recruitment.

Sure, Congers span it so that 'it was all Gus' fault' but that looks more and more like bollox when we see what a useless wide boy Congers has turned out to be...

for me it's a similar situation to the one when poyet first came in where we were that far behind and looking like we couldn't buy a point so i can/could stomach having us set up first and foremost for the draw for the sake of our survival. it was more the fact that after a few transfer windows this was still seemingly the only way we could be set up to earn points making it impossible for us to kick on as a club.

in saying that though poyet and allardyce's styles are different. while both get 9/10 men behind the ball defending, what they have their teams do once they regain possession is very different. allardyce tries to get the ball up the pitch quickly to counter as the opposition scrambles back (whether through a hoof or some other means), whereas poyet would try to have us play it out from the back, leading to us losing the ball again in daft positions on the pitch, having our defenders spend too much time on the ball so that they are eventually hasled into clearing straight out, or otherwise giving the opposition far too much time to organise themselves in defence, meaning that we needed some sort of creative magician if we hoped to score a goal (which we obviously didn't have and couldn't buy as those sorts of players are hugely sought after). on the rare occasions where we would break from defence quickly under poyet there would be at best one man in the box, where from what i've seen so far under sam we do get a few more into scoring positions when the time is right.

so basically what i'm saying is that using allardyce's approach we are far more likely to 'pinch' a winner, whereas under poyet, for the most part, we couldn't really expect anything more than a draw, hence my comment of victory seeming like a fluke under poyet. the table for the 2014-15 season reflects this; we had 17 draws, 6 more than any other team and we won only 7, equal to the least amount won by any team (2 of those being derby victories of course, two games which i think are fair to say are exceptional to the rest of the season because of the occasion).

shit, this has turned into a bit of an essay, i'll leave it at that and see what you think
Very insightful, agree w all points. Thought several years of that would fix our financial base and bring in $$ to buy the midfield magician but obviously things didn't work out that way for Gus.

It's also clear that Gus' personality had a role in his downfall. Reference the sacking at Brighton despite his miracles there.

I can't stand the bloke and was delighted the day he went but he's gave me memories that will last a lifetime so for that I'm grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back