He finished 10th y'knarr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clatts

"He led the Black Cats to a thirteenth place finish during his first season in charge despite a run of 14 games without a win, but he left the club in November 2011 with the club 16th in the top-flight table"

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2015/march/focus-steve-bruce

No mention of that season in this bio of Brucey on SAFC.com!

It doesn't mention his Geordie roots either, tbf...

Last edited:

The whole Geordie Roots thing and the acrimony surrounding his final days at Sunderland will always leave a bad taste but Bruce did give us some good memories.
Bent, Gyan, Wellbeck, Zendon etc
The 0-3 at Chelsea will still stand as one of the best away performances in my lifetime.

His transfer record, like all mangers was mixed but even several managers later our side will feature several Bruce signings tomorrow night. O'Shea, Brown, Cattermole, Larsson and Wickham were all brought to the club by Bruce.

I would understand our mocking of his tenth place boasts if we were a regular top half club but given it's our 3rd best finish in over 50 year I'd suggest it was a decent achievement.
Let's face it nobody has looked like bettering it since.

noone has suggested he didn't do well to get us to 10th. But HE seemed to think that whatever shit he served up afterwards - that 10th place entitled him to a job for life which we only denied him because he was a fat geordie bastard, which of course isn't even true as he isn't a geordie.

lets be honest mate, 10th was a bit misleading.
The season starts when we've played no one, and ends when we've played everyone. Fans on here use the argument "the league table doesn't lie," when they're complaining about a bad run, only halfway down the bottom-half, barely two-thirds of the way through the season, but when it comes to criticising Steve Bruce people don't like hearing he managed us to one of our highest finishes in the last 60 years.

noone has suggested he didn't do well to get us to 10th. But HE seemed to think that whatever shit he served up afterwards - that 10th place entitled him to a job for life which we only denied him because he was a fat geordie bastard, which of course isn't even true as he isn't a geordie.
He was only in charge for about a dozen games after that 10th place finish in which we were 16th the same as we are now.
I'm not getting into another Bruce debate but the constant mocking of his tenth place claim given our recent history makes us look a little silly in my opinion.

He may well have got us to 10th place which is a significant achievement for us in recent times but let us not forget the true fact here; he has a planetary sized heed that has its own gravitational pull!

He was only in charge for about a dozen games after that 10th place finish in which we were 16th the same as we are now.
I'm not getting into another Bruce debate but the constant mocking of his tenth place claim given our recent history makes us look a little silly in my opinion.

Again, who is mocking it, show me where I did anything but praise it? The mocking is purely over his ridiculous assertion that we did anything other than sack him for being not good enough as a manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back