Homebrewing - Part 3

What did you brew in the end?

Can't decide what to do next, have the ingredients for an esb, milk stout and session pale ale.

@dixonsafc how was your second brew?

Went loads better, was about 5 and a half hours all in. Struggled to cool quickly, but didn't have enough muslin bags so did the first 2 addition straight into the wort and I think it was the recirc pipe getting clogged up with hops on the filter. Think that stopped us cooling quick enough. Mashing in wasn't too much aggro, think with there being 3 of us we rotate when your arm starts cramping up :lol:

Smelled absolutely amazing with the hop additions. Still shit loads to dry hop too. What was your OG? Think we came in just under at 1.080. Sure it'll still be strong enough like.

I've done one brew without muslin and I won't be doing it again, the filter clogged so bad I couldn't pump all the wort out and that wasn't even a hoppy brew.

I only managed 1072 but I had so many problems with my first brew it was unreal. Might do it again when I've went through my list of things I want to brew (assuming I don't keep adding to it!!!) to see if I can hit the expected og.

Have to seen grainfather have released an iOS app?

What did you brew in the end?

Can't decide what to do next, have the ingredients for an esb, milk stout and session pale ale.

@dixonsafc how was your second brew?
I did a citra smash, don't know if I am going to dry hop it, smells lovely. Got the ingredients for a ESB or a stout which I might have a go at today. Got to review that brew barrel that I won so that's at least 8 pints for me today.

I've done one brew without muslin and I won't be doing it again, the filter clogged so bad I couldn't pump all the wort out and that wasn't even a hoppy brew.

I only managed 1072 but I had so many problems with my first brew it was unreal. Might do it again when I've went through my list of things I want to brew (assuming I don't keep adding to it!!!) to see if I can hit the expected og.

Have to seen grainfather have released an iOS app?

Yeah, not going to do it again either. Going to get a roll of muslin material in from the suppliers at work, it'll work out pennies each addition. And will have loads to hand.

I'm looking forward to trying this one, more so than the NZ IPA that came free with the kit. I'm sure that'll be alright but this one smelt delicious when it was boiling. Got the ingredients in to do a red IPA next, then thinking about doing a porter/stout/something a bit darker next.

Yeah i saw that was released this morning. Haven't downloaded it yet, is it like a BeerSmith type app?

Yeah, not going to do it again either. Going to get a roll of muslin material in from the suppliers at work, it'll work out pennies each addition. And will have loads to hand.

I'm looking forward to trying this one, more so than the NZ IPA that came free with the kit. I'm sure that'll be alright but this one smelt delicious when it was boiling. Got the ingredients in to do a red IPA next, then thinking about doing a porter/stout/something a bit darker next.

Yeah i saw that was released this morning. Haven't downloaded it yet, is it like a BeerSmith type app?
Going to try my Vanilla Porter today, only been bottled for 3 weeks so expecting it to be a little rough around the edges.

Doesn't look like it, more a tool for doing the brew than working out the recipe but I haven't played with it much yet. Will give it a go when I brew again next weekend and see what its like.

Going to try my Vanilla Porter today, only been bottled for 3 weeks so expecting it to be a little rough around the edges.

Doesn't look like it, more a tool for doing the brew than working out the recipe but I haven't played with it much yet. Will give it a go when I brew again next weekend and see what its like.

Just a flick through the recipes on the GF app, lots of hops in them! Might give that black IPA a whirl as it's on of my favourite styles at the minute.

Reet...Iam not trawling through 230 odd pages.........does anyone make liqueurs......bought some yesterday and fancy giving it a go
Bought some what marra? I've made Sloe Gin a few times, but that's about it. What you fancying?

I can see me buying one of these Grainfather at some point this year. Its all getting exciting (complicated)! :lol:

Took a reading for my Citra Smash last night and it's looks like it's almost ready to bottle 6 days after brewing. The yeast seems to have done a very good job.

Question.
If I buy Beer Finings and add them to my barrel when he's fermented, do I then still need to add carbonation drops to the bottles?

That's what I used. Got a Mangrove dark beer yeast for the stout I'm doing tonight.

That them NZ ones in the colourful packaging? Was thinking about trying their West Coast yeast for the next IPA we try like. They are a bit cheaper, and i'm sure they are 20g whereas the safale is only 11.5? That could be complete bollocks as it's from memory like.

That them NZ ones in the colourful packaging? Was thinking about trying their West Coast yeast for the next IPA we try like. They are a bit cheaper, and i'm sure they are 20g whereas the safale is only 11.5? That could be complete bollocks as it's from memory like.
It's the same people who make the geainfather funnily enough.

Are finings worth bothering with? I tend to let my beer sit in the bottles for a few weeks anyway
I've used them once, made no difference so I just cold crash for a couple of days now, seems to do a good enough job of clearing the beer. Id be tempted if I done a lager but wouldn't bother for ale.

Back