How "old" is old?

80 would be my line for calling someone old. Plenty of people in their 70s are in sparkling form and fitness, physically and mentally.

I'd love to get to my late 70s in decent form....still get out for a bite to eat, a beer, play guitar, decent walk etc.

I had never thought of myself as old, I'm about 13 stone and as fit as a lop, a few months ago I was in Aldi, about 8 pm was getting served when the lass serving me starts screaming to the others about two scroats trying to escape with packs of meat, she grabbed the second lad by the coat and he was dragging her away so I grabbed his coat and lifted him off the ground, he nearly shit himself, slipped out of the coat dropping his stash and legged it.
The others came asking if she was ok, " Oh aye, it's ok this old man helped me " (Me) I couldn't help but laugh at the time but later it dawned on me I WAS an old man. I would also like to add I paid by CASH :lol: .

Oh aye I was 63 last month (god that looks old now I have typed it).

I had never thought of myself as old, I'm about 13 stone and as fit as a lop, a few months ago I was in Aldi, about 8 pm was getting served when the lass serving me starts screaming to the others about two scroats trying to escape with packs of meat, she grabbed the second lad by the coat and he was dragging her away so I grabbed his coat and lifted him off the ground, he nearly shit himself, slipped out of the coat dropping his stash and legged it.
The others came asking if she was ok, " Oh aye, it's ok this old man helped me " (Me) I couldn't help but laugh at the time but later it dawned on me I WAS an old man. I would also like to add I paid by CASH :lol: .

Oh aye I was 63 last month (god that looks old now I have typed it).
I've got a very good mate, now in his early 70s about 10 years back got jumped on by two kids (teenagers) on his way home after we'd been for a pint or six

They hadn't reckoned on him being a black belt at Karate. I didn't witness it, but I suspect it was chaos.

He didn't have a mark on him when I saw him a couple of days later. I suspect the kids may not have been in the same shape.

It depends entirely on the person imo. I know of a woman who is in her 60’s and still looks and acts like she’s maybe in her 40’s.. the age of her kids.

On the flip side I knew a bloke who was in his 50’s who looked and acted like an 84 year old.

I don’t think it’s a one age fits all situation

I am 70 and dont feel it at all. I feel good. I kept fit playing sport and fitness regimes. I dont do anything like that anymore. I enjoy a drink, eat most things and dont cycle or anything like that. Done all that. People say I dont look 70 which is nice to hear. I only have one ambition left and that is to be shot by a jealous husband when I am 98.
I’ve similar one, but it’s dying when I crash my Ferrari when I’m 98 lol

I'm nearly 56 and get out on a regular basis - probably have a better social life than I did in my 30s.

The youngest lad often asks what things were like 'in the olden days' yet has a playlist full of music from the '80s and '90s - this is a kid who has no concept of black-and-white tellies, tellies without remote controls or phones without buttons.

I played cricket until I was 50 and only packed in because I was having to wait until a few hours before the next week's game to confirm that I'd recovered enough from the previous week to play.

My mother is 80 next year and regularly covers the same distances as me and the missus when we take the dogs for a walk - I'm talking 5-6 mile round trips.

To quote Groucho Marx, ' You're only as old as the woman you feel'.

Like I said as of yesterday I am an OAP. I live for holidays. I’ve noticed over the last couple of years less and less people our age on holiday.
I keep telling my Missus we need to book more holidays cos we don’t know what’s round the corner.It worries me to think we might only have another ten years, if we are lucky.
My Missus has no ailments and is fit as a lop, I am not 😉

Better to be old than dead.

Bloke at work went home sick the other day then promptly dropped down dead in his kitchen that day. He was 47
My dad always used to say when someone said he was getting old.

Better than the alternative.

So far people using the word old as if it is a bad thing. I wouldn't want to be young, in this day and age for all the tea in China.

I had my young. It was brilliant but it was also fraught with worry, low self-esteem, recklessness, uncertainty. I embrace my "oldness". May not be able to do the splits or drink for 4 nights in a row and still get up for work on the 5th day but there's loads of other things I can do.

I’m 55 and I don’t feel old. I feel pretty fresh

I was thinking the other day about my Dad , and how he was about 45 year ago. I was thinking his attitude was old fashioned then , then I clicked he was only mid thirties at the time.

I would say nowadays it’s a mindset. But generally people take care of themselves better, care about clothes, use products for skin etc , so they look younger and feel younger.
I still look forward to going down the disco , having a groove.

Yes 55 these days is like 30 year old was in the 70s/80s.
If you look at old photos , particularly servicemen of WW2 - it shows brave young men in their early 20s - yet some of them look mid thirties and more.

Anyway ,god bless em.

I’m 40. The barber said to me last week unprompted ’so do you feel old?’ Cheeky bassa

I definitely feel older than I used to but I don’t bloody look it ffs

It's mad,.I'm 60 and and I've been out tonight with the first two mates.i ever had. We've always went out for a pint most weeks since we started drinking. All 3 of us married and none divorced. We went to a really close friend's funeral earlier on the week but I know it's to be expected. So i know we're old but because we have grown up together it seems like yesterday when we were kids.

Back