How "old" is old?

I think "old" is how other people see you. Last year i was in Band Q getting gravel 3/4 ton. Paving stones for patio. Pulling they through checkout they declinded my card for discount. Some builders offered to put my stuff on their bill and gave them the cash. Went to load up the material in my vehicle,me and the wife went to get the trolleys only to be told by the builders. "Get your vehicle mate" we'll bring stuff through. Got trolleys to vehicle again they offered to put everything into my vehicle Chrysler Grand Voyager( all seats down large load area.) We were grateful for their help but only then did i realise other people see me as old. I was 73 at time ! but can do virtually everything myself other than tile roof ! Still fitter than the couple over the road in their 40's .(shite that get's delivered pizzas,junk food etc.)If you are fit just keep going,enjoy everyday you are not in pain. Life is short .Enjoy it. HTL and FTM !

Last edited:
Very true. When you're out drinking ( though after 50 you really shouldn't be ) you feel 15 years younger than you actually are, but the following day you feel 15 years older, and it gets worse year on year.
In me experience, downhill all the way after 55.
Unfortunately, the blokes who feel ( and act ) 15 years younger when out drinking are usually the 21-30 year old age group.😄
Well exactly. That's when you start being old. When work no longer matters
Nope..... When you retire is the day when work stops controlling and defining your life and YOU are in charge of what you do and when you want to do it.

9 years retired now and I love every minute of it.

Last edited:
I've got a very good mate, now in his early 70s about 10 years back got jumped on by two kids (teenagers) on his way home after we'd been for a pint or six

They hadn't reckoned on him being a black belt at Karate. I didn't witness it, but I suspect it was chaos.

He didn't have a mark on him when I saw him a couple of days later. I suspect the kids may not have been in the same shape.

73 in 2 weeks, wife just turned 74
Both are still in full time employment
Married for 50 years last July
lived in the same house (home actually)since 1976
4 kids, 8 grand kids and 2 great grandkids
Not been funny but we don't need to work as far as money goes but we have a view........ If you don't use it you lose it!
we don't act nor feel like the stereotype OAP.
indeed we marvel that we are this age and still managing a busy day to day schedule

73 in 2 weeks, wife just turned 74
Both are still in full time employment
Married for 50 years last July
lived in the same house (home actually)since 1976
4 kids, 8 grand kids and 2 great grandkids
Not been funny but we don't need to work as far as money goes but we have a view........ If you don't use it you lose it!
we don't act nor feel like the stereotype OAP.
indeed we marvel that we are this age and still managing a busy day to day schedule
Well done m8, Many few years ahead of yous. 😎

I'm 50, still act like I'm 30s. Not one person I work with believes I'm 50! Look after myself and both of my jobs have me physically fit and on the go constantly.

Old for me would be on the 60's. Basically around retirement age. But can be old on terms of our of touch pretty much as soon as becoming an adult.

Early 50s now. Everything about me is definitely older but at least some of that (experience, maturity, judgement, life skills etc) is good news. Old I think is when you hit your use by date. That'll come at different points for everyone but it's round a corner somewhere and if you carry on with business as usual in the meantime hopefully it's a long way away.

I felt old yesterday when I saw that "Where is the Love" by The Black Eyed Peas is 20 years old, it seems like yesterday and it has me wondering where those 20 years went, I've been to a pal's funeral today and everyone looked old, that cheered me up :eek:

Back