Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronaldo is already 9th in the list of all time top scorers, despite only playing in La Liga since 2009. His goals per game ratio is 1.12 - 197 goals in 176 games. Insane record.

Him and Messi will be 1 and 2 in the list when they retire and nobody will catch them for decades, if ever.

Has more assists and goal per game average than Ronaldo. Less from the penalty spot as well and full 2 and half years younger. Yet I think they are very close.

Ronaldo is already 9th in the list of all time top scorers, despite only playing in La Liga since 2009. His goals per game ratio is 1.12 - 197 goals in 176 games. Insane record.

Him and Messi will be 1 and 2 in the list when they retire and nobody will catch them for decades, if ever.

I doubt there will be a rivalry at the level of Messi and Ronaldo ever again.

An incredible player, lucky to be able to watch him every week

With a good five years left in him, he will probably end up with well over 400 league goals (barring serious injuries).That would be some record.

Neither as good a footballer as Maradona (although he was also a cheating tw@t). Ronaldo the better of the two for the last couple of seasons but Messi clearly edges it over their entire careers to date imo.

Yes but Maradona was shit compared to Pele.(and he was no cheat!!)

With a good five years left in him, he will probably end up with well over 400 league goals (barring serious injuries).That would be some record.

Yes but Maradona was shit compared to Pele.(and he was no cheat!!)

Hard to argue as Pele was a truly amazing footballer but I don't agree. In my opinion Maradona dragged a few teams along with him to win trophies (Argentina in '86 and even the double winning Napoli side in '87 who won their first ever Serie A title) whereas Pele played his entire career with pretty much the best teams in the respective competitions they played in (Brazil and Santos). I'd have looked ok in that 1970 team it was just that good :)

What we are taking about are almost certainly the 4 best footballers the world has ever seen. Fat Ronaldo could have been in there somewhere too but injuries and a lack of desire meant he never quite reached the same heights for long enough (he was scarily good for a few seasons though).

Maradona's still No. 1 for me!

Has a double for Barca tonight to make him the record goalscorer in the history of the Spanish Primera division.

Beating the record of Telmo Zarra (251 goals), who was pretty much a goal a game striker for Athletic Bilbao in the 40's and 50's.

Love Messi or hate him, to break that record at the age of 27 is phenominal.

Make that a hat-trick for him!

.. wonder how many he would have got if you were actually allowed to tackle the **** ..

.. wonder how many he would have got if you were actually allowed to tackle the **** ..

Eh?

Ronaldo and Messi both get some pretty rough treatment of defenders at times, Ronaldo can escape due to his straight line pace but with Messi twisting and turning with the ball he often gets hacked down.

Given hes Argentinian and given he plays in La Liga, Messi is one of the more honest players in the league when it comes to play acting.

That doesn't make any sense.

.. funny .. the fella who posted after you seemed to understand it ..

Eh?

Ronaldo and Messi both get some pretty rough treatment of defenders at times, Ronaldo can escape due to his straight line pace but with Messi twisting and turning with the ball he often gets hacked down.

Given hes Argentinian and given he plays in La Liga, Messi is one of the more honest players in the league when it comes to play acting.

.. naw .. football's turning into a cross between basket ball and WWfookinF or what ever you call it these days, ballerinas the fookin lot of them pussies .. it's no longer a contact sport ..

Last edited:

.. naw .. football's turning into a cross between basket ball and WWfookinF or what ever you call it these days, ballerinas the fookin lot of them pussies .. it's no longer a contact sport ..

Well they don't face the hatchet men the likes of Maradona and Best had to where someones focus was to kick them for 90 mins. However, given the nature of some of the play-acting these days neither Ronaldo or Messi are anywhere near the worst offenders. Put it this way, why would you need to dive when you're that good?! They do still get kicked a fair bit as players simply get frustrated or miss time their tackles due to the speed at which Ron and Messi can trap and begin dribbling a ball.

Doesn't make sense because you are wrong. There's probably about 100 videos on youtube of him getting kicked to bits without him even reacting. Although your post containing the words 'its a non-contact sport' means this debate is completely pointless.

Doesn't make sense because you are wrong. There's probably about 100 videos on youtube of him getting kicked to bits without him even reacting. Although your post containing the words 'its a non-contact sport' means this debate is completely pointless.

.. ha ha ha .. it's the fookin opinion police. Sorry officer .. keep ya knickers on man ..

Well they don't face the hatchet men the likes of Maradona and Best had to where someones focus was to kick them for 90 mins. However, given the nature of some of the play-acting these days neither Ronaldo or Messi are anywhere near the worst offenders. Put it this way, why would you need to dive when you're that good?! They do still get kicked a fair bit as players simply get frustrated or miss time their tackles due to the speed at which Ron and Messi can trap and begin dribbling a ball.

.. fair comment .. I like a bit of exaggeration for effect. Still more of an advantage to the attackers than there used to be imo and that defenders stand off when once they would get a foot in ..

Last edited:
Hard to argue as Pele was a truly amazing footballer but I don't agree. In my opinion Maradona dragged a few teams along with him to win trophies (Argentina in '86 and even the double winning Napoli side in '87 who won their first ever Serie A title) whereas Pele played his entire career with pretty much the best teams in the respective competitions they played in (Brazil and Santos). I'd have looked ok in that 1970 team it was just that good :)

What we are taking about are almost certainly the 4 best footballers the world has ever seen. Fat Ronaldo could have been in there somewhere too but injuries and a lack of desire meant he never quite reached the same heights for long enough (he was scarily good for a few seasons though).

Maradona's still No. 1 for me!
Agreed its all a matter of opinions.However Pele did win three world cups not just the 1970 one so that shades it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back