Cruyff
Maradona
Best
Beckenbauer
Moore
de Stefano
Puskas

.........off the tip of my head ;)

Canny list like, i werent disagreeing with him I was just curious to know who he thought was better. Im slightly younger so I cant say ive seen any of them play barring a couple of highlights.

In my life the number one is undoubtedly Maradona but Zidane is as good a cm as I've ever seen. Even better imo than platini. Up front it's been an honour to watch van Basten and the first ronaldo. Who can forget gullit either, an extraordinarily good player. My dad claims Cruyff, pele, Beckenbauer and best. My grandad has a different list again.

It's a joke to say we won't see the likes of Ronaldo or Messi again. We absolutely will and the next gen will insist they are the best ever.

In my life the number one is undoubtedly Maradona but Zidane is as good a cm as I've ever seen. Even better imo than platini. Up front it's been an honour to watch van Basten and the first ronaldo. Who can forget gullit either, an extraordinarily good player. My dad claims Cruyff, pele, Beckenbauer and best. My grandad has a different list again.

It's a joke to say we won't see the likes of Ronaldo or Messi again. We absolutely will and the next gen will insist they are the best ever.
That's a quality list but these two are right at the top of it too. As you say there will be a couple more along soon enough to have a weekly thread about

I dont disagree. My list would include Ronaldo, Zidane etc but i cant overlook C.Ronaldo and Messi as well. Too young to have seen Van Basten, Platini and Maradona though.

Whenever you ask the question to someone (generally, taking into account age etc) the same names appear and in 30 years the same names will still appear but Messi and Ronaldo also. When the players are that good it really does just come down to personal opinions.

I dont disagree. My list would include Ronaldo, Zidane etc but i cant overlook C.Ronaldo and Messi as well. Too young to have seen Van Basten, Platini and Maradona though.

Whenever you ask the question to someone (generally, taking into account age etc) the same names appear and in 30 years the same names will still appear but Messi and Ronaldo also. When the players are that good it really does just come down to personal opinions.
Messi and Ronaldo are definitely on the list, they are all time greats. No doubts about it.

Pele
Cruyff
Maradona
Best
Beckenbauer
Moore
de Stefano
Puskas

Aye. Messi and ronaldo are comfortably better than all but maradona.

Some names in them lists that arent fit to lace lm and cr boots

Pele
Cruyff
Maradona
Best
Beckenbauer
Moore
de Stefano
Puskas

A very notable list. Personally, I have seen all the greats since the early sixties. It's really difficult to compare top footballers from different generations fir a number if reasons. The pitches now are superb and very quick. Fitness of players is extraordinary. Tactics are unrecognisable compared to yesteryear. So how can players be compared?

In my view the test of history is the answer. For a goalkeeper it must be notable saves. For a midfielder I guess it has to be the games in which they dominated, goals scored and assists though in the case of defensive midfielders like Bobby Moore that is not the case. For forwards it has to be goals scored and assists combined.

Last edited:
Cross era comparisons are impossible, theres just too many variables.

Both Messi and Ronaldo will go down in history alongside the all time greats but it just comes down to personal prefernce/opinion on who people believe is better.

In my lifetime Messi is comfortably the best player I have seen, but I respect people who disagree and say Ronaldo is, there is certainly a good arguement for it.

What I really hate is people trying to promote either Messi or Ronaldo by putting the other player down, its stupid, both are senstaional in completely differing ways.

Both Messi and Ronaldo will go down in history alongside the all time greats but it just comes down to personal prefernce/opinion on who people believe is better.

In my lifetime Messi is comfortably the best player I have seen, but I respect people who disagree and say Ronaldo is, there is certainly a good arguement for it.

What I really hate is people trying to promote either Messi or Ronaldo by putting the other player down, its stupid, both are senstaional in completely differing ways.

Nail > Hit > Head

Summed up perfectly.

This, Messi is certainly a magical player but I just prefer Ronaldo as I think (all round) he's just a better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back