Living Wage - be careful what you wish for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you not been around when all the high street households names disappeared overnight?who knows what they can afford? i was at the cinema on Thursday and there was 15 of us watching a film

Thursday is a quiet day for a cinema, in general most cinemas are doing good trade.

So the workers shouldn't aspire to higher wages? ;)

Just a thought but they are probably employing their staff on 24 hour contracts at minimum wage meaning that us, the taxpayer, has to top their wages up with working tax credits and the like.

Have you not been around when all the high street households names disappeared overnight?who knows what they can afford? i was at the cinema on Thursday and there was 15 of us watching a film

Cineworlds profits have been hit by overseas expansion apparently, now they are only making something like 30 million a year in profits.
That 2 or 3 quid they cannot afford to pay to those 20 workers they are sacking must be crippling them eating the 30 million in profit away...

so you agree with me now? im lost!!

I agree with your post, maybe it was badly worded. I agree it's simple numbers, they were going to cut the staff anyway, no business employs more people than it requires, if they can now manage with 25% staff, they'd have decreased staffing anyway, they're not a charity. They're using this as an excuse, it's clear and simple numbers.

You cant see link between knicking films and cinema attendance but can between knicking films and drugs? bizzare

Knicking?

"In common usage, theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent"

The human eyes can't take other people's possessions iirc

TBF apart from the quite shocking quality of someone taking a camcorder into the pictures - most knock offs are taken as the first DVD's are due to be released and therefore it's already been on at the pictures.
Yeah the link to the cinema in particular isnt a strong one but its all one business,movies etc and denying it income its due

I agree with your post, maybe it was badly worded. I agree it's simple numbers, they were going to cut the staff anyway, no business employs more people than it requires, if they can now manage with 25% staff, they'd have decreased staffing anyway, they're not a charity. They're using this as an excuse, it's clear and simple numbers.
i disagree if they were devious in their methods they'd have run on the least possible staff for the least possible wage?

i disagree if they were devious in their methods they'd have run on the least possible staff for the least possible wage?

Yes, that's what they were doing already, unless you have facts that prove otherwise? I'm not saying they were being devious, but they're a company, they'll pay the going rate and employee the right (lowest possible) amount of people to run the business. They don't think "you know what, these people will work for a low wage, we'll make their lives easier and employ 25% more people".

The Ritzy used to be an awesome one screen cinema, the oldest purpose built cinema in the country. They'd have all nighters with Tetsuo body hammer and Robo Cop's 1&2 or all the Godfathers etc
It was a bit annoying that you could hear the staff in the bar selling vegan chocolate brownies sometimes but it had the best programme of films and all nighters.
Then they closed it and opened it up as a multi screen thing and it shows f***ing shite with the odd foreign film.

I still remember the old monthly programs which were printed on glossy a3 and folded down.

Let the f***ing shit hole burn to the ground now for all I care.

So the workers shouldn't aspire to higher wages? ;)

Just a thought but they are probably employing their staff on 24 hour contracts at minimum wage meaning that us, the taxpayer, has to top their wages up with working tax credits and the like.
Without a doubt,worlds your oyster.I want higher wages too,who doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back