Living Wage - be careful what you wish for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the link tbh. Just like dealing drugs IMO. No knock on effect at all
Try telling that to all those people that are on the dole that used to work in the film industry and recording studios, don't you think people need to be paid for their work?

The group making 30.9 million in profits makes them profitable though.
They were making more, but have expanded heavily overseas, so temp drop in profits until they pick up again.
Havent looked at the figures but we're getting wrapped up in a number again ie 31 million,yes it sounds a lot but if its 4% of turnover you're fkd!
I Run a medium/small business,our sales have dropped steadily over 4 years due to lack of demand and competiton,our staffing has remained at the same level,while fuel rent insurance min wage vehicle costs have all increased,an outsider looking in may see a busy operation "making loads of money" its a myth

Yeah the link to the cinema in particular isnt a strong one but its all one business,movies etc and denying it income its due

Or you could argue its increasing cinema revenue, as people watch dodgy quality downloads and love the film.
They then go online and post about how good the movie is on forums and social media - which is free advertising for cinemas.
If the film is really good they may then watch it at the cinema as the download was just a blurry mess.
Plus buy it on DVD/Blu ray.

Try telling that to all those people that are on the dole that used to work in the film industry and recording studios, don't you think people need to be paid for their work?

Shouldn't have chosen to work in an industry that is so easily abused IMO

Or you could argue its increasing cinema revenue, as people watch dodgy quality downloads and love the film.
They then go online and post about how good the movie is on forums and social media - which is free advertising for cinemas.
If the film is really good they may then watch it at the cinema as the download was just a blurry mess.
Plus buy it on DVD/Blu ray.

Or advertising that they can watch it for free instead of going to the cinema. And what difference does it make if they buy it to watch at home later, the ice-cream woman is still losing out!

Havent looked at the figures but we're getting wrapped up in a number again ie 31 million,yes it sounds a lot but if its 4% of turnover you're fkd!
I Run a medium/small business,our sales have dropped steadily over 4 years due to lack of demand and competiton,our staffing has remained at the same level,while fuel rent insurance min wage vehicle costs have all increased,an outsider looking in may see a busy operation "making loads of money" its a myth

Does it really matter if its 4% of turnover, your still making a profit, and a big profit at that.
Profit surely is money made after ALL costs have been accounted for and paid for.
The cinemas, even if it was 4% would be running, being maintained, serviced, staffed (all paid for) generating jobs, and taking home an excess of 31 million which is pure profit.

Or advertising that they can watch it for free instead of going to the cinema. And what difference does it make if they buy it to watch at home later, the ice-cream woman is still losing out!

Ice-cream woman is losing out because she is trying to gouge your eyes out with her stupidly sky high prices.

Do you employ more staff than you need, or do you tend to employ the least you can run with?

Maybe that particular cinema is a one which is performing badly and not doing so well? How the group on a whole is performing is a different matter.

Does it really matter if its 4% of turnover, your still making a profit, and a big profit at that.
Profit surely is money made after ALL costs have been accounted for and paid for.
The cinemas, even if it was 4% would be running, being maintained, serviced, staffed (all paid for) generating jobs, and taking home an excess of 31 million which is pure profit.

Which would be fine for me but when you have investors who want a decent return on their money, the view from the boardroom will be how do we increase our profit. And if that cinema isn't pulling its weight - the axe will fall there.

Okay but you are on your own with that view i'm afraid,i'll not repeat myself but there is a level % profit where it becomes unacceptable for a business

entrepreneurship requires that you are compensated for the risk you take. that's profit. it's also a safety net as long as it's not removed from the business.

Or they won't manage and service will suffer and they will terminally decline,its simple numbers if they were only in it for greed they would have had the 75% workforce at minimum wage surely?
well lets bring back slavery then, then all business will be much more viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back